Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

A/C Bills and rental guests ***rant***

A/C Bills and rental guests ***rant***

Old Dec 19th 2009, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

jondent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C Bills and rental guests ***rant***

Happy Xmas to you all !!!

I have a bit of a problem. I rent my home in St Philip out to holiday-makers for short term rent... Basically 1 week/2 week etc etc.

I always ask the guests to respect the A/C which is in all 3 bedrooms and to leave it off during the day. In all reality, set at 23 and auto is perfect for a good night sleep.

Today I get my BL&P elec bill for November ... 989$ BDS. During this time I have had guests for about 2.5 weeks. They have had the A/C on 17 and full all day and night !!!

To counter this I'm looking at either timer system or solar power.

Anyone know how ? Or anyone have either these solutions in place ???

Cheers

Jon
Old Dec 19th 2009, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A/C Bills and rental guests ***rant***

take out the a/c if you don't expect paying customers to use it. Besides, they need it most during the day.

either charge more, take out the a/c, or live with it. But it's unreasonable to ask people to regulate their use of the facilities that offer them comfort b/c you might not like the bill.

I'm currently staying at a nice guesthouse as I type this. I'd be offended if, for the price I pay, I was ordered to ration my a/c usage.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:10 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to sound harsh but I have to agree with the other poster.. Basically you need to either raise the rent, as it includes A/C.. Take the A/C out if you don't want them to use it all the time, or ask for a deposit of 1000.00 (base this amount of previous visitors and use and average) for use of the A/C and the remainder will be refunded once the bill has come in.

I've stayed in hotels and other rental properties and wouldn't dream of not using the A/C if it was available. Now I agree 17 is a bit low, but remember if these people are not Barbadians, you can pretty much expect them to want the place cold (not cool) in the heat we have been having.

good luck..
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Thing is though its in the bedrooms, not in the lounge or dining room. There is a constant breeze and the ceilings in the lounge are 40 ft high with french doors to keep the place airy. Its the using the bedroom AC to cool the rest of the house and leaving the doors open that annoys me.

I know others who rent out who take meter readings and apply a 'fair use policy', so that's an option as well.

Preference is to just put solar in for the whole house and pool, but I'm finding it hard to find anywhere that does this. I dont want to put the price up to cover it, as not all guests do this .. Most in fact use it correctly, and price rises would be unfair.

So if anyone knows anywhere that does solar for elec (not water ... i have this) then that would be great

cheers
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

Over the years I have known many people who practicly lived in their bedrooms..... because that was the only room that had AC.
Some people will turn it on just because it's there. I know of hotels that have a coin system, not certain how it works but maybe you can check with Light and Power for suggestions.
Other then that I would have to agree with the others, charge more money to cover costs put a lock on it.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 5:44 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to suggests that maybe there is something you can work out with BL&P with regards to the meter reading.. Make sure you read it prior to an arrival and maybe half way through.. give the guests and estimate of the usage and except payment upon checkout. That's labour for you.. but it might work.. or find out of BL&P has something they can do for you with regards to this. Have them calculate past usage and require (not request, require) a deposit that is refundable if not used...).

We don't A/C at all, but my brother-in-law does .. 2 of 3 bedrooms. They had a nephew in the house for 3 weeks while they were on holiday this summer. When they returned.. they found the fridge eaten bare and when the bill came in for electric it was 3 times the normal usage (they normally have 6 people in the house and there were 2 house sitting..).. you just never know...
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought I heard that there was an increase for Light/Power recently. Apparently quite high. That might be adding to your problem too?

Zombie
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:09 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the best thing to do is put up a small sign (NOTICE),telling your guest about remembering to turn off all airconditioning when leaving the house,and the high cost of electricity you endure as a result,be as polite as possible,this should not hamper business as some people said.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:36 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Another "appealer" would be to include in the notice that the conservation of both power and water is especially important to a small island like Barbados and that "your help is greatly appreciated in helping us conserve essential energy by turning off all appliances when not in use"

I got real vexed the other day as this couple was at one of the hotels in the gap showering their little boy who decided that he wasnt going to leave the shower - he had a great big ocean to play in and a massive pool but stayed under the running water of the shower near the pool for over half an hour as the parents indulged his tantrums and thought it was so sweet him playing under this running water - I so wanted to say something bout the water wastage but i know that once i start i gonna go off
Old Dec 24th 2009, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies !

I'm going to try the "sign" route first ... It may help

Also, talking to a couple of island solar companies, it's likely next year 2010 that BL&P will offer the buy-back scheme to people who put in solar power. This means that it's possible to not have a bill at all as excess is sold back to the grid.

I'll post about this once I get some more info, might be of interest generally what with the price rises !

Cheers
Old Dec 25th 2009, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

good to know that the buy-back may soon be an option.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 12:33 pm

I think I saw solar panels at PriceSmart the other day.. should be interesting.. I know someone who was bringing in the panels and whole set up for solar electric.. Could be helpful..
Old Dec 25th 2009, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I think I saw solar panels at PriceSmart the other day.. should be interesting.. I know someone who was bringing in the panels and whole set up for solar electric.. Could be helpful..
Yeah, could be. Thing is you normally (in Europe) have to get it supplied and fitted by a elec supplier in order to do the buy-back solution, so buying it 3rd party, although cheaper, might not be cheapest way to do it in the longer term.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by jondent
Yeah, could be. Thing is you normally (in Europe) have to get it supplied and fitted by a elec supplier in order to do the buy-back solution, so buying it 3rd party, although cheaper, might not be cheapest way to do it in the longer term.
but remember you are in Barbados.. soooo.. things are different. I understand in Canada, there are laws even about Home repair etc etc.. as in DIY isn't much DIY anymore.

Don't have a clue about the "laws" here when it comes to that kind of thing. but I seriously doubt there are any, or at least right now. You maybe able to install and then the electric company would have to come do an inspection to make sure everything is ok before they do the buy back... but who knows.. we wait and see.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

sevendayweekend is an unknown quantity at this point

Barbados Light and Power put the rates up recently for electricity, and they plan to do it again in the new year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.