British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   a/c bills (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/c-bills-614979/)

minisoufka Jun 15th 2009 4:24 pm

a/c bills

hi guys,

just a quick question about the above - could I have a few opinions on how much you pay every month?
so far I didn't have to worry about it at all (included in the payments covered by company), but now we're thinking of moving and the bills will be paid on top of the rent so I'm trying to predict what that would come up to. The flat is 2 bedroom with a large dining area.
I know it all depends, but I would really appreciate if you could advise me on this - if you tell me how many bedrooms you have and how many hours a day the a/c is on (e.g. in my current apartment there is no way to create any draught whatsoever so I have a/c on all the time in my bedroom as it gets unbearably hot! and I hate the thought of wasting so much energy, but what else can I do when I'm roasting?...)

thank you all in advance
M.

minisoufka Jun 15th 2009 4:27 pm

ps.

i think i should've asked about energy bills in general as they include the a/c payments - sorry for the confusion :)

so the revised question is: how much are you monthly energy/electricity bills?

zanne Jun 15th 2009 9:21 pm

Re: a/c bills

No A/C but we have 4 bedrooms, separate living room and dining room plus kitchen and BLP runs us $250.00/month so I think you are looking at at least double, if not more. There are ways to put the AC on a timer so you don't have it running full blast-- but most here, even the highest end houses only do A/C in the bedroom not the entire house. It just isn't that hot to warrant it.

Serendipidy Jun 16th 2009 12:19 am

I have a 3 bedroom, sep dining area office and lounge large kitchen and 2 bathrooms and do not have AC but work from home with fans on, laptop radio tv and average about $70BDS a month - however it is just me

Dips

minisoufka Jun 16th 2009 12:31 am

gosh, have you really got no a/c? how do you... survive? sorry if I sound spoilt, but I just cannot function without the a/c - maybe it is because our windows only face one side so the air never moves + there is no breeze where we live at all...

i guess - maybe I wouldn't need to use a/c in the new flat either - it's on the top floor of the building on the beach with windows on 3 sides, so i guess i would get the air moving in there? plus the breeze?

thanks very much for your answers :)

anyone out there who does use a/c at all and knows what they pay each month?

zanne Jun 16th 2009 12:36 am

Hate the cold, love, love, love the heat!

Serendipidy Jun 16th 2009 12:56 am

I too used to think i couldnt cope without AC but you do in fact if i go to a place with AC i get bad chest and coughs - ur body compensates after a little while - powerful fans do the job and where your moving to sounds like its bound to have a breeze

Foxy_fromCanada Jun 16th 2009 1:14 am

I hate AC!!! It makes me crazy dehydrated!

Having said that, we had to use it in our last place at night in the bedroom, because we got no breeze. At all.

Mini, if your new place has lots of windows and you're up even one level, you'll notice a big difference. Fans will probably do the trick for you, most of the time ;)

zanne Jun 16th 2009 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 7668155)
I too used to think i couldnt cope without AC but you do in fact if i go to a place with AC i get bad chest and coughs - ur body compensates after a little while - powerful fans do the job and where your moving to sounds like its bound to have a breeze

That is so true dipidy, I also have major trouble with my eyes and air conditioning here--too dry.

minisoufka Jun 16th 2009 2:10 am

thanks again - all comments highly appreciated.

you put my mind at ease a bit - i may not actually use the a/c that much in the new apartment (apart from right before going to bed i guess). Plus I'm planning to leave BB in August, so hubby won't be using it that much before and after work either.

If I'm back with the baby in a few months (haha - look who's talking! me, the person who said she would never ever come back!!! :D) , I don't think i will be using the a/c that much either - for all the reasons mentioned above - dehydration and eye probs (which i experience slightly as well, but the heat bothers me much, much more than that ;)

have a good week everyone!

butterflysue1 Jun 16th 2009 3:40 pm

I don't and wouldn't have a/c in my house mainly because I get a natural breeze blowing right through my home it would be a waste of money and as well I don't want to harm the environment anymore than I have to. My advice would be switch it on 30mins before you go to bed and switch off as soon as you get up!!