Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Buying used car,Any hidden taxes to pay?

Buying used car,Any hidden taxes to pay?

Old Feb 5th 2019, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

charlie9670 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying used car,Any hidden taxes to pay?

I am just about to buy a ten year old car for $15K bbd. I will register in my name and believe it has to be weighed for tax bracket. I read that road tax is now added to fuel price but are there any other taxes etc to pay, it will be my first car here..Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2019, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Buying used car,Any hidden taxes to pay?

After reading up I will try and answer my own question lol. Transfer fee of $400 now applies for registering any car in your name. Road tax backtax now doesn't apply but could still be owed if it hadn't been paid on the car prior to July 2018...Am I on the right track?
Old Feb 6th 2019, 11:53 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Re the 2nd part of that , Charlie9670.. you would do well to ask the seller, before you buy it, for a copy of his receipts for Road Tax payment. once you purchase it, if the road tax wasn't paid, YOU , not the guy who used to own the car, will be required to pay it before they will give you any new disk to drive the car.. and I think you are correct about the transfer fee...
Old Feb 7th 2019, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, the person I am buying off is very trustworthy so I shouldn't have any nasty surprises but will ask anyway..cheers .