Buyers beware

Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:10 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buyers beware

I was just reading some articles in the Barbados free press about certain shady underhand going ons in Barbados. Some quite disturbing. One being that unlike other islands which are quick to report any crime incidents, Barbados has a way of sweeping this under the carpet, like the Canadian tourist who was murdered last year. This was kept very hush, hush at the time, even though lots of criminal activity was taking place in the area prior to this.

Secondly, the recent expulsion of other Caribbean neighbours, mainly Guyanese who have been treated disgracefully by immigraton. These people were invited by Bajan agents to move to Barbados in the boom times, some have settled and even have Bajan born children with bajan partners.
Now the economy is not going so good they are being asked to get out !! Just get up and leave. What about their children ? Has Barbados gone mad.
These people have been living in the island for many years and have not been seen as a problem whilst things were going good, in some cases a positive asset, now all of a sudden they have to leave because the world economy is going through a bit of a rough patch ?

Can a small island afford to have such a hard line leadership.

This is just my opinion so dont get your knickers in a twist about it.
Barbados has been massa's favoured playground for a while now, as a result bajans have had a reasonably good standard of living. However Bajans have let the popularity of their island go to their head and have become arrogant.
Massa does not like arrogance. Soon massa may decide to leave Barbados to fend for herself. Poor Barbados, she has pissed her Caribbean brothers and sisters off, she has pissed massa off, who can she turn to now.

She don't produce anything to sell, and who will buy from her now anyway ?

As quick as they build you up, even more quickly they can take you down.
Bask in your glory !!!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:43 pm
Banned

reslax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buyers beware

Sorry Pgtips, but what you are attempting to do, tarnish Barbados' image, has already been tried and failed. Your jealousy of Barbados and Bajans is coming through the computer very strongly.

Regarding what you call the expulsion of Guyanese -- Canadian and American agents regularly invite Bajans to go to Canada and the U.S. to work on farms. If the invited Bajan workers run away from the farms, impregnate Canadian or American women, or if they are female, get pregnant by American or Canadian men, and decide to stay in Canada and the U.S. illegally, do you think the Canadians and Americans should turn a blind eye and let them stay? Most Bajans would say, "No. If they are illegal aliens, send them home." When the previous government was in place in Barbados, they allowed an immigration free-for-all that the Guyanese took advantage of by the thousands. Thousands of them ignored the expiration dates on their work permits and some entered Barbados under the pretense of being tourists and never left. Bajans' cries for control of the immigration situation fell on deaf ears. After a decade of being ignored, Bajans kicked out the unresponsive government and conscientiously installed the current government, which is more responsive.

Do you know that before the earthquake struck Haiti last week that the United States government was getting ready to deport tens of thousands of Haitian refugees who sought a better life in the U.S.? The U.S. is a huge, wealthy country. Yet, they are deporting people, very poor people I might add. The U.K., Canada, and every other country on earth are deporting people. Why should Barbados be expected to be different from everyone else when Bajans have so much less than others?

You asked, "Can a small island afford to have such a hard line leadership?" We Bajans say we can't afford not to have such a hard line leadership. Many of us don't think the government is hard line enough. Every day we see more and more of our Caricom neighbors falling by the wayside. Jamaica and Trinidad are now murder capitals. Trinidad is also a kidnapping capital. Tobago and Antigua are developing reputations now for brutal crimes against tourists. I noticed last year on an online St. Lucian newspaper that a St. Lucian said he or she is afraid to recommend St. Lucia as a tourist destination to his or her American friends, because of the growing murder rate in St. Lucia. Many of us were aware of the terrible condition Haiti was in even before the earthquake. We Bajans are going to do whatever is necessary to keep Barbados safe and comfortable for ourselves and our many visitors who are willing to follow our rules and regulations. If some people don't like the way we do things, that is their problem. We have been running Barbados long enough to know what works for us.

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 25th 2010 at 4:27 pm. Reason: Removed for the second time
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:46 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reslax
Sorry Pgtips, but what you are attempting to do, tarnish Barbados' image, has already been tried and failed. Your jealousy of Barbados and Bajans is coming through the computer very strongly.

Regarding what you call the expulsion of Guyanese -- Canadian and American agents regularly invite Bajans to go to Canada and the U.S. to work on farms. If the invited Bajan workers run away from the farms, impregnate Canadian or American women, or if they are female, get pregnant by American or Canadian men, and decide to stay in Canada and the U.S. illegally, do you think the Canadians and Americans should turn a blind eye and let them stay? Most Bajans would say, "No. If they are illegal aliens, send them home." When the previous government was in place in Barbados, they allowed an immigration free-for-all that the Guyanese took advantage of by the thousands. Thousands of them ignored the expiration dates on their work permits and some entered Barbados under the pretense of being tourists and never left. Bajans' cries for control of the immigration situation fell on deaf ears. After a decade of being ignored, Bajans kicked out the unresponsive government and conscientiously installed the current government, which is more responsive.

Do you know that before the earthquake struck Haiti last week that the United States government was getting ready to deport tens of thousands of Haitian refugees who sought a better life in the U.S.? The U.S. is a huge, wealthy country. Yet, they are deporting people, very poor people I might add. The U.K., Canada, and every other country on earth are deporting people. Why should Barbados be expected to be different from everyone else when Bajans have so much less than others?

You asked, "Can a small island afford to have such a hard line leadership?" We Bajans say we can't afford not to have such a hard line leadership. Many of us don't think the government is hard line enough. Every day we see more and more of our Caricom neighbors falling by the wayside. Jamaica and Trinidad are now murder capitals. Trinidad is also a kidnapping capital. Tobago and Antigua are developing reputations now for brutal crimes against tourists. I noticed last year on an online St. Lucian newspaper that a St. Lucian said he or she is afraid to recommend St. Lucia as a tourist destination to his or her American friends, because of the growing murder rate in St. Lucia. Many of us were aware of the terrible condition Haiti was in even before the earthquake. We Bajans are going to do whatever is necessary to keep Barbados safe and comfortable for ourselves and our many visitors who are willing to follow our rules and regulations. If some people don't like the way we do things, that is their problem. We have been running Barbados long enough to know what works for us.
(SNIP)?
Reslax, please relax, why you getting so hoyti toyti and defensive ?
I did state in my post that this was my opinion, and not to be taken too seriously. My problem is not with immigration control, just the callous, cowardly way it is being handled. How can you let people stay in your island for so long, before deciding to deport them ? Why wait until they have laid down roots for many years and then expect them to just about leave with the clothes on their backs ? That is wickedness !!! Just to tell them to get out leaving loved ones behind. The Bajan government knew about these illegals but chose to turn a blind eye when they were helping the economy, and now what they are doing is wrong.

This is no attempt at smearing Barbados whatsoever, I quite like Barbados. However wrong is wrong. There is a right and wrong way about going about things, rounding up people at 2am in the morning and telling them they have to leave the island immediately is wrong. If this happened in any other island I would say exactly the same thing. The Barbados free press is Bajans, not outsiders.
At least they have the decency to report these wrong doings and courage to speak up.

Now I am in know way against immigration control, the islands are small enough already, so this has to be properly in place. What I am not happy about is the treatment of my fellow islanders at the hands of the bajan authorities. We are all one race and that is part of the human race, and therefore we should treat our fellow brothers and sisters with respect and dignity, whatever island or part of the world they come from.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 25th 2010 at 4:27 pm. Reason: quote edited
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:11 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

reslax.. you and I do agree..

PG.. you are out of line on some of these.. and if you say that it's not your opinion, you should have just added the link and let us read it for ourselves.

it is a shame that the new government is putting out Guyanese who have settled, married and have bajan born children.. I would be upset to if I were put out without my husband and children, but I am a legal citizen of this country and the people who are being told to leave are those who have come in under false pretenses and stayed without getting any legal documentation that says they can say. There are a few stories of people who have tried to get residency and been denied for one reason or another.

This is not a new issue.. not an issue just for the DLP.. but the DLP has decided it's something to act on.. and it's not , to my knowledge, to do with the current economic situation. Trust me.. many people have had guyanese help for years.. and who are "crying" now because their cooks and housekeepers and shop workers have left. they will either have to do without, or they will higher someone who will then want to be paid more money.

it's the same with any country.. Legally enter a country.. Legally get status.. and you are welcome.. not legal.. then you must go.. Yes of course there are some circumstances that should be looked at for further consideration.. but for the most part.. it's pretty cut and dry.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
reslax.. you and I do agree..

PG.. you are out of line on some of these.. and if you say that it's not your opinion, you should have just added the link and let us read it for ourselves.

it is a shame that the new government is putting out Guyanese who have settled, married and have bajan born children.. I would be upset to if I were put out without my husband and children, but I am a legal citizen of this country and the people who are being told to leave are those who have come in under false pretenses and stayed without getting any legal documentation that says they can say. There are a few stories of people who have tried to get residency and been denied for one reason or another.

This is not a new issue.. not an issue just for the DLP.. but the DLP has decided it's something to act on.. and it's not , to my knowledge, to do with the current economic situation. Trust me.. many people have had guyanese help for years.. and who are "crying" now because their cooks and housekeepers and shop workers have left. they will either have to do without, or they will higher someone who will then want to be paid more money.

it's the same with any country.. Legally enter a country.. Legally get status.. and you are welcome.. not legal.. then you must go.. Yes of course there are some circumstances that should be looked at for further consideration.. but for the most part.. it's pretty cut and dry.
Sunniebgi, in every country you go there is that "illegal" workforce which the governments know full well about. It is often this workfoce which keeps the country afloat from the bottom, and help the rich stay rich as they only get paid a pittance.

It is the way the Bajan authorities have chosen to ruthlessly deal with the matter which is the problem, almost inhumanley. What is happening to this world, are people turning so cold ?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:31 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

TO THE MODERATORS. DON'T LECTURE ME ABOUT MY COMMENTS NOT BEING IN LINE WITH THE INTENDED PURPOSE OF THIS SITE. IF YOU ALLOW PEOPLE LIKE PGTIPS TO PUT OUT SUCH POSTS, I WILL RESPOND. WHO DECIDES WHAT THE PURPOSE OF THIS SITE IS ANYWAY?

The Purpose of the site is clearly defined in the site rules and by the owners of the site - and as I have clearly stated to you before that its purpose is NOT to promote any country but to serve the EXPAT (not sure if you see the name of the site) community in seeking advise assistance or just wanting to vent about issues they are dealing with whilst abroad.

Your response to the posting looks totally reasonable to me - my "lectures" as you might see them is when you get offended because someone raises issues that they have experienced. If you find the contents of the site so offensive I would understand if you felt you did not want to take part in its activities
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:16 pm
Banned

Pgtips,

Bajans offered amnesty to illegal Caricom nationals so that some of them who have illegally laid down roots in Barbados could stay. We can't accommodate all of them. Add up the numbers of people who live in the 15 Caricom countries and you should understand why. Barbados has a population of approximately 270,000 people. Haiti has a population of approx. 9,000,000; Jamaica, 3,000,000; Trinidad, 1,200,000; and Guyana, 770,000, just to name a few.

In addition to Caricom nationals, Barbados is home to Europeans, Middle Easterners, Americans, Canadians, Australians, South Americans, and now Africans (newly arrived) and Chinese. Barbados must have managed migration to avoid having its small population overwhelmed by foreigners.

At one point, Before the previous political administration, Barbados was diversifying nicely. Immigrants trickled in, in small numbers and from many different places. They tended to assimilate (somewhat). A little melting pot started to develop and I liked it. Then, all of a sudden, there was mass migration with large numbers of people from the same countries coming in, and that's when the "gated," "expat," "private," and "exclusive" communities started developing and immigrants seemed to stop trying to assimilate. This is when the anti immigrant sentiment started to grow. Barbados needs to get back to the point where immigrants come in slowly, in small numbers, and from a wide range of places. Then it will be nice again, to me anyway.

Last edited by reslax; Jan 25th 2010 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:30 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Pgtips,

At one point, Before the previous political administration, Barbados was diversifying nicely. Immigrants trickled in, in small numbers and from many different places. They tended to assimilate (somewhat). A little melting pot started to develop and I liked it. Then, all of a sudden, there was mass migration with large numbers of people from the same countries coming in, and that's when the "gated," "expat," "private," and "exclusive" communities started developing and immigrants seemed to stop trying to assimilate. This is when the anti immigrant sentiment started to grow. Barbados needs to get back to the point where immigrants come in slowly and in small numbers and from a wide range of places. Then it will be nice again, to me anyway.
Reslax do you subscribe to the "anti immigrant sentiment" because this would explain why you come onto an EXPAT website and take offence at most of the postings. Can I suggest if you do not want to hear real problems experienced by real people in your land (actually do you still live in Barbados?) and yes being expats they would be immigrants and foreigners then its probably best you no longer visit the site as what you see just seems to iritate and upset you.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:37 pm

Pgtips,

Bajans offered amnesty to illegal Caricom nationals so that some of them who have illegally laid down roots in Barbados could stay. We can't accommodate all of them. Add up the numbers of people who live in the 15 Caricom countries and you should understand why. Barbados has a population of approximately 270,000 people. Haiti has a population of approx. 9,000,000; Jamaica, 3,000,000; Trinidad, 1,200,000; and Guyana, 770,000, just to name a few.

In addition to Caricom nationals, Barbados is home to Europeans, Middle Easterners, Americans, Canadians, Australians, South Americans, and now Africans and Chinese. Barbados must have managed migration to avoid having its small population being overwhelmed by foreigners.

At one point, Before the previous political administration, Barbados was diversifying nicely. Immigrants trickled in, in small numbers and from many different places. They tended to assimilate (somewhat). A little melting pot started to develop and I liked it. Then, all of a sudden, there was mass migration with large numbers of people from the same countries coming in, and that's when the "gated," "expat," "private," and "exclusive" communities started developing and immigrants seemed to stop trying to assimilate. This is when the anti immigrant sentiment started to grow. Barbados needs to get back to the point where immigrants come in slowly and in small numbers and from a wide range of places. Then it will be nice again, to me anyway.
Reslax, I totally agree with what you are saying here as it makes sense. And I will repeat it was the way in which certain immigrants were handled which caused me displeasure. I am in 100 % agreement with controlled immigration, but I think the problem which had built up over the years could have been handled much better. I see the gated and private communities starting to shoot up in St Lucia also, and they have caused me to raise an eyebrow.
Is this segregation healthy ? however there are private developments in the UK where only private residents can enter. I am all for family, and it is the broken families that will result from these deportations who I pity. If the parents are deported who then foots the bill for bringing up these bajan born children ? You see one problem is solved, but a bigger potential one created.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:31 pm
Banned

Someone asked me if I harbour anti immigrant sentiment. Wow. How could anyone conclude that from what I wrote? I said that there was a nice melting pot developing in Barbados at one point and that I liked it. I also said Barbados needs to get back to the point where immigrants come in slowly, in small numbers, and from a wide range of places. THAT MAKES SENSE!!! Did I say I don't want immigrants to move to Barbados? No, I did not. Every country needs immigrants in order to grow, but their migration into the country must be managed or there can be chaos and hardship for the natives. Sigh
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:44 pm
Banned

Pgtips,

As much as I would like to continue the discussion with you, I won't. I have gotten PMs from one moderator and another is clearly unhappy with me, and I think all of Barbados, at the moment, so I am done with this thread. I will likely be banned if I continue. That is what usually happens to people who don't go along with the opinions of the 5 or so "regulars" and moderators, who are regulars, on this site. lol.

I think this site needs to be expanded so that people who just want basic information can ask for it and get it, but people who want to engage in more lengthy and meaningful discussions can do that too. Serious bloggers can disagree with each other but keep the discussion going. Amateurs get upset and close the thread and threaten to ban people after a couple of insults. I think people moving to a new country can learn a lot about the place by reading about and listening to what some of the natives really say and think. Oh well, if I am not banned I may chat with you "briefly" on another thread.

Last edited by reslax; Jan 25th 2010 at 5:56 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Amateurs get upset and close the thread and threaten to ban people after a couple of insults.
Please .... enough
You dont get banned for expressing an opinion or disagreeing with anyone.
You WILL get banned for getting personal or banding around insults

If you need to discuss further then pm me, dont discuss on here
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

I dispute the opinion that BFP is run by Bajans. Persons residing in Barbados, yes.

Also, it has been disputed whether persons are truly being rounded up in the middle of the night. Ask Norman Faria. There is so much rumour being reported as news and that's a shame.

Should also add that Bajans have not been anti-immigrant but anti-illegal anything. I don't have the space to even go into the issues that surround the Guyanese issue b/c they are not as simple as proposed. And Bajans have been clamouring for yrs, just no one was listening. So hardears people got the boot

Also, what is true is that Barbados, unlike almost every other island in the Caribbean, has not the natural resources to fall back on financially. So, when Barbados takes drastic measures to shore up its economy, it does so b/c it has no other choice.

People can lament on the*poor* Guyanese (many of whom are blatantly breaking the law BTW) being expelled. But no one wants to answer why "the Bread Basket of the Caribbean" is doing so poorly in the first place. If Barbados fails, it has not its neighbours to lean on. So what do you suppose the country does?

When the well runs dry people will leave, no one expects them to remain to weather the storm. So why pretend that anyone but Bajans have the best interests of Bim in mind?

People have been calling Barbados arrogant for yrs. Frankly, lots of nations in the WI are jealous that a country so small, so flat, with no mountains, no oil, none of that could be in the (relatively healthy) position it is in.

Antigua is expelling Guyanese, Canada has imposed new visa restrictions and had talked of closing their Guyanese embassy. Bahamas was expelling Haitians in droves and Cayman Islands imposed visa restrictions on Jamaicans. What was the word on britishexpats.com on all of this?

But you say "Barbados" and you will get a million and one naysayers. If Barbados were swallowed up into the ocean, maybe then people will finally be satisfied.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think anyone is lamenting illegal immigrants, Guyanese or otherwise, being expelled. I think the original poster took some displeasure over the methods and attitudes employed by some of those in positions of power, which is a very different thing.

Personally, I think anyone here illegally shouldn't be given any second chances, they should have to pack up & go.

However, I'd hope the powers-that-be can remember that all any immigrant wants, legal or otherwise, is a better life. Those who take shortcuts to achieve that pay a very heavy price when they're caught, so I don't think we need to make it any worse by being inflexible, rude or unkind.

I'm not sure every poster on this thread has been able to distinguish between criticism of policy and method, so to make it clear again - I'm not advocating anyone here illegally being permitted to stay. I just think there are better methods of enforcing that policy than some of those used in Barbados at the moment.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Ikon
I'm not advocating anyone here illegally being permitted to stay. I just think there are better methods of enforcing that policy than some of those used in Barbados at the moment.
You are indeed right, this was the main point I was making.
Due to the crisis in Haiti, haitians are being given amnesty by mainy islands.
When you look at the scale of this disaster you realise what really matters in life, love, respect and unity.

I still think there has been a future problem created by expelling some of these people who have made children with bajan women. Lets just hope lessons are learned from this, not just by Barbados, but other Caribbean countries who seen to have a bit of an open door policy without really having anything in place to really cater for this population increase. In these small islands a few thousand extra people does really put a strain on the infrastructure. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.