British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Building new home. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/building-new-home-920742/)

vinnieboy Sep 30th 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Building new home.

Thanks for your reply Sunniebgi. I was told awhile back that any job vacancies,including construction, must be advertised throughout the Caribbean for a certain amount of time before it could be offered to outside trades. I was also told that I’d probably be arrested if caught building my own home without a work permit, true or not I just don’t know!
much easier moving to Spain and building a villa,BUT! The med is cold, the food is English, and their hospitality has nothing on the bajan hospitality mixed in with a rum punch!!
Now where did I put my passport!!!

Sunniebgi Sep 30th 2019 8:03 pm

You are kidding right??? I've never seen anyone advertise for construction jobs.. unless you are running a business and employing people to work for money on a project you are going to be getting money for.... did that make any sense?? who told you all of this??? someone in Immigration??? we had work done on our house last year.. we talked to people, concerning the work done. . and decided on a company and they started it.. there were a few things that needed to be done that my husband could actually do and others that needed a plumber and electrician.. .. he called a guy who called a guy and got a guy and he came.. .. We didn't advertise for anything.

if you are building from the ground up, you would simply talk to an architect or design person, sort out what you want, even if it's buying a house and making changes.. you would need to make sure any changed to the foot print are Ok's through town and country planning and you would find a builder to build it.. you certain would put out to tender for your own property.. give me a break..

vinnieboy Sep 30th 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 12742440)
You are kidding right??? I've never seen anyone advertise for construction jobs.. unless you are running a business and employing people to work for money on a project you are going to be getting money for.... did that make any sense?? who told you all of this??? someone in Immigration??? we had work done on our house last year.. we talked to people, concerning the work done. . and decided on a company and they started it.. there were a few things that needed to be done that my husband could actually do and others that needed a plumber and electrician.. .. he called a guy who called a guy and got a guy and he came.. .. We didn't advertise for anything.

if you are building from the ground up, you would simply talk to an architect or design person, sort out what you want, even if it's buying a house and making changes.. you would need to make sure any changed to the foot print are Ok's through town and country planning and you would find a builder to build it.. you certain would put out to tender for your own property.. give me a break..

I’m all confused!! What I was told by an official, was that I wouldn’t be able to build my own place without a work permit. And to get a work permit is extremely difficult.
If I were to buy a rundown place, then it would be fine for me to spruce it up without a permit. I would do that but everything I’ve seen is either wrong style in right place or visa versa!

Sunniebgi Oct 1st 2019 7:41 pm

Ok.. let me say this... according to your original information.. You are a bricklayer.. but that doesn't mean you are going to build the entire house yourself. you will need a builder (maybe not the one you originally thought of, if you think they are too expensive) but someone else.. but.. if you are looking to build a "villa'.. and I mean one that you want to rent out for a good chunk of change, then you will want to build a nice one.. (and the location may decide that for you as well) and you will need someone to build it for you. . There are many home builders in Barbados.. you just need to go through the process of finding one. that being said. you don't want to cut corners, even on one that might not be so grand.. .. and "helping to lay some brick" (in this case, mostly concrete block), you may have your chance.. a few here a few there.. but will it really save you the money..?? and.. it's not going to be done in a month.. or possibly even 6 months. I have a friend who has been "building a home" for probably a year ..and it was to be done back in August.. not done yet.. and I think she has fired to original builder at this point and finding the workers to do specific jobs on her own (well.. with some help from other friends..)...

No.. you can't build a house here by yourself.. without a work permit.. but unless you are qualified to do all the jobs.. you wouldn't be doing that anyway..