British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Building new home. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/building-new-home-920742/)

vinnieboy Jul 7th 2019 1:44 pm

Re: Building new home.

Hi there Alipalli. I am still looking to build or renovate,but still waiting for this bloody brexit to sort itself out!! Whichever way it goes it should give me more spending power as the markets will eventually settle down!

uk_grenada Jul 7th 2019 1:58 pm

I don’t mean to be cruel, but you do know there are people who are claiming that post Brexit the pound is likely to drop to close to parity with US dollar, when I was building years ago I had a similar choice - do I exchange money now or later, and what I actually did was to exchange half of my money immediately thus cutting the currency risk. You can insure against this with foreign exchange dealers but the cost of insurance is likely to eat up any potential profit you make. You can’t gave your cake and eat it, either you risk loss and hope for gain, on you fix it at today’s rate into the future for a hefty fee.

Regarding builders, they are all risky imho, Staged payments are normally the way to go, but never pay early.. there is also no substitute for recommendations from people have actually had completed projects from the people and if possible a financial report. One good approach is to buy an existing property that has most of the attributes you want and modify it, this tends to be cheaper and safer if you can find the right donor property. Another important idea is to have a very detailed plan of what you want drawn up upfront and put that past a number of local people with an interest in property, things like what are the actual wooden materials that are being used, and what is the specification of the steelwork, anti-hurricane measures, how will the foundations be laid, do you know the qualities of the ground where the foundations will be laid ? It’s worth while also knowing, I have never ever heard of a project coming in on time and in budget. If you say whatever time is it gonna take plus about 50% if you say whatever the costs are and Add 20% you might be right, you will certainly be sane at the end of the process rather than tearing your hair out.

vinnieboy Jul 7th 2019 2:13 pm

Lol! I know what you mean exactly! I’m a builder in the uk,but the difference is I’m nearly always on time and on the quote. I’m probably expecting the same from other builders but I know that’s just me dreaming!! I’ve looked at many half built properties over the last few months on cariblist,but nothing really takes my fancy. Either it’s the right place but in wrong area,and vice versa. Maybe an air conditioned tent could be the answer!!
As for brexit,if we do manage to leave in October,then I reckon the pound will fly against the dollar and hopefully back up to $1.8 to the pound. The sooner we leave the undemocratic eu the better!

uk_grenada Jul 7th 2019 2:33 pm

Well, all i can say - there are some materials that you will probably want to take with you, eg proper marine grade stainless outdoor fittings and bathroom fittings, they are rubbish or very expensive in the caribbean, but there are exceptions, the ceramics are actually wonderful on my island - and mainly from spain or iran? Also - cement isnt the same if its proper trinidad stuff - look up roman or pozzolan cement, its a lot stronger than portland, but sand has to be imported - usually from guyana - it has to be salt free so beach sand which is a nono [local builders might...] We also have volcanic pumice gravel which is light and very strong. Proper tropical insect and weather resistant hardwoods are pretty cheap from guyana also - purple and green heart which is what structural woodwork should be made with... Furniture too - i can give a local carpenter a pic from an ikea catalogue plus my dimensions. I’ll pay between the same and add 30% but mins will be all teak...

You realise all plumbing is plastic - wall radar is mandatory after if its in the walls, so try to get it all in straight line conduit in the deck or below the deck or you will be cutting out tiles and concrete quite soon. Electrics tend to be run as single conductors in conduit - and that stuff snags easily but you cant so easily run double insulated cable unless its flex, so again - under the deck or in straight plastic conduit. I actually used sliced square rain guttering as formers for channels for running cables and pipework set into the concrete walls over the block work by the floors then it goes behind screwed on teak skirting.

once your build starts - buy your deck chair and be sitting on site at all times, or have a PM who is knowledeable and trustworthy. The workers will try all sorts of truly dumb stuff, and if they can conceal it before you see it, they will. People who build in absentia and always in trouble, you just dont know which sort till you get on the island, the horror stories are both rife and quite varied / interesting.

vinnieboy Jul 7th 2019 4:01 pm

That’s great information and I thank you for it. My plan would be hardwood flooring and I’m not sure why hot countries go for tiles. Is it because they feel cool underfoot? Bloody lethal when wet!

uk_grenada Jul 7th 2019 4:27 pm

Hardwood floors are fine if they are proper insect proof, properly dried and allowed to acclimate to the place they lie, but honestly, tiles are easier and indestructible. However use grey clay tiles outdoors, much cooler underfoot and tougher, there are lovely stone analogues available.

tiles should have a fine surface pattern. True gloss tiles are lethal but fine textures are fine.

vinnieboy Jul 7th 2019 4:48 pm

It all seems to be a minefield out there! I’m hopefully coming over in the next couple of months on a recce type break,so I’ll try and get to speak to some more of the brits that have had villas built for them. The one bloke I met had his villa built and recommended his builder,but he was way too expensive. Maybe live on a yacht could be the answer!

uk_grenada Jul 7th 2019 5:06 pm

NEVER BOAT = bring out another thousand

vinnieboy Jul 7th 2019 5:26 pm

Hahaha!!! By the way,is cariblist the only type of advertising in the Caribbean area,apart from the main agents that is?

vikki85 Sep 21st 2019 7:15 pm

Hello, I know this is a fairly old thread, however, I just wanted to advise that I am from the UK, living in Barbados now for over 10 years and just finally finished building my house. Any assistance you may require on building a house, recommendations for carpenters, sparky's, plumbers etc let me know (unless you want a mason - I got through about 4 of them and cannot recommend one).

uk_grenada Sep 21st 2019 7:30 pm

Ummmm sure lots of home owners in Barbados would like recommendations for tradesmen but building a house doesn’t need any of them.

What it need is a reliable solvent builder architect and project manager with extensive experience of tradesmen, hopefully lots of employees and owning the heavy plant to do the work, or you will be paying for everything at silly aka jcb or incomer rates.

vinnieboy Sep 22nd 2019 11:50 am

Hi Vikki85,
thanks for your reply and advise.
You said that you are from the UK. Did you stay on the island for the duration of the build, and if so, how did you manage that?
How long did it take you to build your house, and sorry for being nosey, but approximately how much did it cost you start to finish?
I am a mason/Bricklayer myself and I did want to build the villa myself, but there is so much red tape about what you can and can’t do it beggars belief!!
Having gone through all the rigmarole yourself I’d be very interested in your reply and 1st hand knowledge.
At the moment,I’m still waiting for the outcome of Brexit before I make my final move.
Look forward to your reply,

vikki85 Sep 24th 2019 3:20 pm

I actually live in Barbados full time now, so was renting a property and then purchased an old house in the same area which needed fixing - new roof, new floors, added on an extra bedroom. It took us about 18 months in total, including the planning permission for the extension. As we live here and my husband is local, we knew a lot of people in the trade, so didn't use a contractor, just employed people for job work. It was a frustrating process, but worth it. We moved in in April of this year,there are still odd jobs to do, but we are finally getting there bit by bit

vinnieboy Sep 29th 2019 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by vikki85 (Post 12739438)
I actually live in Barbados full time now, so was renting a property and then purchased an old house in the same area which needed fixing - new roof, new floors, added on an extra bedroom. It took us about 18 months in total, including the planning permission for the extension. As we live here and my husband is local, we knew a lot of people in the trade, so didn't use a contractor, just employed people for job work. It was a frustrating process, but worth it. We moved in in April of this year,there are still odd jobs to do, but we are finally getting there bit by bit

sounds like you’re ready to finally reap the joys that Barbados has to offer! Very happy for you and jealous at the same time!
So did your husband being a local make it easier for you to get residency or was the process still full of red tape and hassle?
I would like to move out permanently, but I get a lot of conflicting information about getting residency/citizenship which sort of puts me off a tad!
storms and rain in UK this weekend with 4 inches of rain dropped upon us, now that makes me forget the hassles!!!

Sunniebgi Sep 30th 2019 11:45 am

Vinnieboy.. just like many/most places in the world, having right of citizenship by Marriage does usually make it better to obtain residency or citizenship. Notice I didn't say anything about how long it takes, or if it's easier. . although, it should be. The only issue, again, as with many countries.. there is also "citizenship scam by marriage".. which I'm not suggesting in any way, shape or form is, is what anyone on this forum would do. .just saying.. it exists.. it took me about 2 months to obtain my citizenship for Barbados after marrying my Bajan Husband. .that was 27 years ago.. a Grenadian friend took about 1 month.. again.. 27years ago.. however. the average, for married to a bajan or not, is about 4 to 5 years.. and the person in question can usually apply for a reside and work permit, while the application is in process. The hoops will get more complex, one assumes, if you are not married to or have caricom rights, to being in Barbados.. and we don't have Paid Citizenship here either, like some other countries.. (you can't just pay millions and get a passport.. you can get a special entry visa.. and you can assist the country and build things, but citizenship isn't just automatically given)..

the part about you not being able to actually do the work on your own house, has to do with .. working. I find it a bit odd, however, because you aren't getting paid.. you aren't making money off of what you are doing.. and the only reason they would say no. .is you are taking a "job" away from a Barbadian..