Building new home.

Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:15 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building new home.

are you sure The Sands is in St. James?? who are the agents and what's the link for the property. The only "Sands" I am aware of is on the south coast. .and I wouldn't touch it with a 10foot pole.. (been building for several years now and even though I've seen movement recently.. it will be a while before it's done.
They used to call One Sandy Lane (or now is it just called The One??) is right on paynes pay and astronomically expensive.. but it's a huge property (not sprawling, just very large building) with several apartments in it.

where are you looking ?? .. if you aren't looking to spend much money.. don't look at Altman or those types of estate agents.. and while I do agree that on the beach is better.. off the beach is much less expensive but still accessible.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

vinnieboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reply sunniebgi. The agents are Sotheby’s,but I came across the apartments advertised on a place in the sun,and they have said it’s in St.james.
If I knew how to send you a link I’d gladly do it,but not that technically savvy yet!!!
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:51 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

false advertising. it's The Sands.. NOT in St. James.. it's in Christ Church (and that's whats on the Sotheby's website as well. A place in the sun has a disclaimer that says they get their info from other companies.. but Sotheby's doesn't list it in St. James.. only in Christ Church.0 .. and don't even consider it. found it on the same website under St. James. .and that's where it says it is.. but it isn't..
Old Jan 25th 2019, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Bloody sods! So that’s why Sotheby’s hasn’t sent me the details as it’s not in st.james!! It’s a bloody minefield out there,and even a place in the sun aren’t advertising the correct and true properties!!
I think I’ll just buy a tent and a fan!!
What agents do you recommend for me to look at? There’s so many out there that are not very honest concerning property details!
Thanks for your help sunniebgi.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Happyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond repute

The confusion arises from the fact that when Michael Tabor ( a Sandy Lane owner / Director ) built One Sandy Lane --------multi million Dollar Apartments where Rihanna has a home and Simon Cowell and his entourage stay at Christmas , he originally named it " The Sands " and then, for some reason, he changed it to it's present name. If you google The Sands, it still comes up. If you can afford one of those Vinnie, you are laughing and there will be no refurbishment to be done LOL

The Sands on the South Coast has been a disaster from the start. A hotel owner here dreamed of changing this shell of an old hotel into condos and studios and letting people buy them as homes, but the owners can only stay a maximum of 6 to 12 weeks a year and the rest of the time, it would be run as an Al Inclusive Hotel by a man who's philosophy in life is never to maintain, but have it mended a few months after it breaks ------------------- I live close to his main Hotel, so believe me I KNOW ! DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER IT !
Old Jan 25th 2019, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hahaha!!! My oh my,I think I’d better give my mate Simon a call 1st before I commit!! Lol!
Do you know anything about the fitts/zinnia apartments,also advertised by a place in the sun,as being in St.James? 14 apartments. They’re probably in St.lucia!!!

Old Jan 25th 2019, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Happyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond repute

Zinnia is yet another new, unfinished as yet , block of condos /apartments right on the edge of the main coast road across from the sea.

You can't see the front properly as yet, because they are covered by a large Hording. They are in Fitts village St James , so that's right ha ha .

Last edited by Happyowner; Jan 25th 2019 at 3:42 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

PS I believe Zinnia is the product of the same Nigerian who is in partnership with Peter Odle,the hotel owner , in the Sands venture .

If I were you,I would come here for as long as you can, and spend your time looking at options that are already built ----------------------------------

Last edited by Happyowner; Jan 25th 2019 at 3:59 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bloody hell!! I just thought that the self build option was a nightmare! It seems to me that most options are a nightmare unless like you said homeowner,I go over for awhile. I really wish I could but just too busy at the moment. That’s why I want to eventually move to Barbados so I can no longer be too bloody busy anymore!!
Ah well! Thank you all for your help and information that you’ve given me,it shall serve me well! I shall just keep looking till I run out of options,then I’ll probably self build!lol!
Just hope the sun stays high!
Old Jan 25th 2019, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Don't despair Vinnie, there are loads of good places for sale. Just don't go for any new builds or half builds , make sure they have been lived in before and you will be fine.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 9:29 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Same stuff happens here - dodgy builders, places for sale ‘on spec at silly price’ for years, half finished projects left to moulder, government projects that fail because the finance was a crook, the list goes on... My salvation - 1, dont do anything till youve lived on island for a years and really understand the lie of the land, 2, Make sure that anyone used is by personal recommendation from the lawyer to the gardener.

Actually i cheated a bit, i was on ‘a place in the sun’ so i had some expert guidance and prices fell instantly when sellers were told they might get on the show, but it exposed some of the stuff going on.

An american wrote 2 books about 20 years ago - how to live in the caribbean and how to retire in the caribbean. Both are still highly relevant if you can get a copy, things about how to select land, hurricane protection by proper place,ent on the land etc etc. one thing we can do but maybe not in barbados - always try to live a few hundred feet up, preferrably near the edge of a hill but not on the exposed edge, cooler, drier, better breezes, and none of the dew point issues experienced at sea level at dusk that ruins the fabric of the house over time.

NB - hurricane rules - min 100ft above sea level, [30m waves are not impossible in a hurricane storm surge] , away from low points in a valley or a decent distance horizontally and vertically from little streams [aka bloody huge rivers in a storm] not anywhere exposed to the full force or a hurricane like on top of that hill with the nice view, and nowhere far away from infrastucture unless your self reliance kit is properly diplicated and protected. Do have a pool amd water tank [your water supply post hurricane] and do have a room with no windows and a concrete roof [i call it the garage] most likely to survive intact.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

julesdoopydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vinnieboy
Bloody sods! So that’s why Sotheby’s hasn’t sent me the details as it’s not in st.james!! It’s a bloody minefield out there,and even a place in the sun aren’t advertising the correct and true properties!!
I think I’ll just buy a tent and a fan!!
What agents do you recommend for me to look at? There’s so many out there that are not very honest concerning property details!
Thanks for your help sunniebgi.

We used Rosemary Inniss from Caribbean Island Properties (CIPCaribbean) to find our dream home. Honest, down to earth and importantly she listened to what we wanted (ie our wish list) and did not try to influence our decision. We started looking on the west coast then realised it wasn't for us (for several reasons). We now live in the Republic of St Philip and it is perfect for us!!
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your helpful,if not sometimes terrifying advice(uk Grenada),about living in specific areas in case of hurricanes! Luckily,Barbados is just out of the hurricane zone,so it shouldn’t be too bad. I just won’t buy a wooden place and I’d make sure it has steel and concrete in all the right places.
Thank you for that suggestion julesdoopydoo,I shall check them out today. Main reason I want the west coast is that I can rent it out while I’m not there,I don’t think st.philip is a big rental area,or am I ring?
Happyowner,thank you for that sound advise. I have just found one in speightstown and sent them an email asking for more info. Next minute it’s under offer by someone,or not!!!
I shall persevere and keep pushing through the mire,for I can see what pleasure the end result can bring,ready for when I retire!! A little poem!
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:37 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know who told you barbados is out of the hurricane zone but they lied. There are plenty of pics that show all of the hurricane tracks, you’ll see you are firmly on target. Plan insure and build on that basis. Buildings made to stand it or to have deliberately sacrificial areas like roof coverings are pretty normal as are hurricane shutters, but bodger builders are long gone before then next big one..

The normal definition of the southern end of the zone is 12 degrees N - if you stored your boat above that in summer you either arent insured or you paid about twice as much. This is why grenada and trinidad have such amazing boatyards in the summer with heaps of mega yachts. However we get a big one every 10-15 years.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:42 pm

Heres the info, zoom in on the high res image around barbados and youll see it has avoided the eye of some big ones but as they are 100-200 miles across you dont need a direct hit. Here last season nothing came close but the effect on weather and waves of one of these monsters hundreds of miles away is impeessive enough,

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...dos_hurricanes

Last edited by uk_grenada; Jan 26th 2019 at 2:50 pm. Reason: Added link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.