Building new home.

Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:50 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building new home.

I have to agree that without a good network of people on the island then building your own place has a high chance of costing you your dreams. investment and your trust in people. I too like others have heard nightmare stories that are just too frequent to be unfortunate incidents. The other things to consider of course are the land as you would need to purchase that. Right now Barbados is suffering with plentiful stock of housing that no one wants to buy and has been that way for a while. These all sounds doom and gloom but I love your comment Vinnie about there not just being 1 paradise.

Happy Owner out of interest what were the costs and criteria at 50 for getting a 5 year Visa? Did the Visa allow you to run your own business or are their no working rights attached. Could you give the forum an indication of the criteria and cost for the life time one too as this will help a lot of people. Hopefully then like your other one we can set up a separate post for info for over 50s wanting to be long term in Barbados

Thanks ...Dips
Old Jan 15th 2019, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Happyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dips, as I said before, when I was finally caught for exceeding 6months a year, I was first offered 5 years for $7000 BDS No permission to work at all. However, when I was sent the rules by a nice lady on TA it appeared that from the age of 50 you could pay $7000 BDS, for 5 years only , but once you reached 60, you could pay $10000. BDS for life. I was 60 ( shh don't tell anyone ) so having provided the history of my life , owning a home worth more than $150000. 00 US and having a clean Police Character Reference , plus adequate Health Insurance etc etc I now can come and go as I like or stay permanently . I have an ID card, but I am not allowed to work.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Happyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond repute

I have just found this website which appears to have superseded the one I was sent

Barbados Immigration for Retired Property Owners | Barbados Offshore Advisor

It now seems that the $7000 BDS will cover you from the age of 50 to 59 ( instead of 7 years ) then when you are 60, you must reapply for the $10000 BDS Indefinite Visa . I was lucky to have not been caught until I could apply for the " Rest of life " Visa.

Now you can also apply for a Special Entry Visa under 50 years of age for $10000 BDS but you must be retired. and I assume that runs out when you are 50 or maybe 60 ??? Who knows.

Last edited by Happyowner; Jan 15th 2019 at 5:19 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 5:38 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Happyowner Thanks for this it will be really useful - I hope at some point the government will offer something like this for those who can work remotely not just who are retired. Although I wonder how you prove you are retired at 50?

There are many people who are able to run their overseas business over the phone/online but want to live somewhere warm and contribute their income to the Barbados economy
Old Jan 16th 2019, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

vinnieboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to sunniebgi,happyowner and dips! Thank you all for your invaluable help and information,clear,concise and exactly what I needed to know!!
When I was on bim in November I remembered seeing many unfinished projects,but unfortunately not in the areas that would suit my wife and I.
At the moment I’m taking your advise and searching for properties that need renovating or finishing off. Also Happyowner,you’ve made me a happysearcher with that link you’ve put up,even though there are many hoops to jump through to reach their criteria,many thanks indeed!!
Old Jan 17th 2019, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

I wish you the best of luck Vinnie. I know what it is to have a dream. I achieved mine. I hope you do too.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all. I have a new question for you all and I hope you can help! I’ve been trawling through all the estate agents looking at properties for sale,including cariblist. Does anyone have an explanation as to why so many people are selling up their investments,and quite a few have been up for sale for over 2 years!!! Also,there are quite a few that have dropped their price upto 20% below original asking price!!
Is there something I don’t know that’s happening? I know Barbados is going through a recession,but I wouldn’t of though that it would affect the tourism industry that much.
I have found a lovely place that’s on the market,but I don’t want to be stuck with an expensive herring around my neck!!
please help!!!
Old Jan 19th 2019, 2:17 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think it has less to do with our economy and more to do with what is happening in GB with Brexit and other economies around the world .

and. .prices are high in Barbados.. and in fact some properties are up for sale.. just to be up for sale . having a conversation on Tripadvisor about someone staying at a villa that has just recently gone up for sale.. should they still keep it booked at go??? what if it sales before their holiday.?? etc etc.. and the answers tend to be that others have had a similar situation.. the property is always up for sale but never sales.. (just to say that there is a multi-million dollar property on the west coast that I think it always "up for sale".. if that helps..)

ALSO.. you find that some estate agent don't "cleanup" their listing.. and that includes Cariblist.

AND yes.. our current economic state is not great.. but the change in government, even as bad as it's likely going to get in an effort to rebuild, there is a renewed sense of confidence in the island at least from a local perspective.

hope this helps..
Old Jan 19th 2019, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks sunniebgi,it helps a little,but still confused! So if I buy now but I want to sell the place in 10 years,its best to just keep it up for sale after I buy! Or could it be that they’ve finally paid off their mortgage by renting out the property and are now just looking to release their equity?
So has the property market always been like this?
Old Jan 20th 2019, 11:02 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

trust me.. it's confusing me as well. these are normal homes that will say they are up for sale. the ones you are seeing may not be in that category... and no. you wouldn't buy and then keep it up for sale. but people and economies are fickle. many people are wary about the economics of the world right now. not the average bajan.. they just want to sell there house.. but many times people thing the prices are to high.. (this isn't the US/UK/Canada where good and services for building are far less expensive) .. so they tend to stay on the market for a bit longer than in many countries.. I'm not in real estate. but I do watch what goes one.

the other issue is just the location.. 20 years ago we purchase our home (after a 5 year search and renting for that time) .. when the insurance person came to value the house he valued it lower because we were in the middle of the country and so many "Miles" from Bridgetown. silly if you ask me. but.. I would like to think, after 20 years the house still is in good worker order and would sell for much more than what we bought it for these days.. but we aren't planning on finding out anytime soon..
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your help sunniebgi. I’m just going to take my time and hopefully do the right thing and be patient. Hopefully I’ll pop over in the next couple of months for a look,and a rest!!
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Vinnie, I have never regretted buying here,and have no worries about re selling my home ( or for whoever has to after I'm dead ) . That is because my one bed condo is on the beach and would be very easy to let. So, my advice would be , if you intend to rent your home out before you live here, and , if necessary, sell it more easily, the nearer you can be to a beach, shops,and restaurants and bars , the better.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks happyowner,my thoughts exactly. I’ve looked at plots/lots inland which go for a mere £30k,but as you said,away from the beaches and everything people go to Barbados for.
Would buying a house/villa on the east coast of the island be worthwhile? Or because they advise you not to swim there,a sea view is just not enough?
Just watching cricket on tv being held in Barbados,nearly brining a tear to my eye!!!
Old Jan 25th 2019, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

No, absolutely not ,to an East coast Villa. A very few people love renting there for the Surfing, but that is it.

You have to go for the west or south west / south coast, to ensure lettings.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks For confirming that for me happyowner. I did think that was right but not 100%.
I have been looking around the speightstown,colleton and holetown areas,as they are the places I’ve been to and thought they were fantastic places.
Not sure if you could help me with this,I’ve emailed the agents about the apartments in St.james,called the sands. Not sure if this is a proposed build and people are buying off plan,or if they’ve already been built and they’re ready to move into,but agents haven’t returned my inquiry yet.. Also anything about the fitts/zinnia apartments in St.James.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by vinnieboy; Jan 25th 2019 at 11:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.