building materials

Old Apr 7th 2018, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Hathaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default building materials

Hi everyone,
This is my first post since joining.
Does anyone know if there are import taxes on building materials. We are considering building our house in Barbados from a steel system which can be bolted together. will this incur tax?
Old Apr 7th 2018, 8:57 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: building materials

Yes, lots probably, thats why on some islands you never see it, there are some people who post from Barbados, they may know exactly but you can probably find out from the barbados custons people too.

Careful, there are usually a number of cost elements to add up like a duty + customs charge and possibly vat all of which is a % on the landed value ie cost plus freight cost plus insurance cost etc etc.

I assume you’ve seen this system in use elsewhere in the tropics? Here there are a couple of examples of a german co that has placed prefabs successfully here, but they are designed specifically for our climate, insect resistance, hurricane resistance, etc etc.

I assume you also know that the materials you may need to use here with your kit are not the same as in the us or europe, for example concrete is made with trini pozzolana cement which is actually mechanically superior to portland, but needs different handling sometimes.

Structural wood could be pitch pine, but there are beautiful and vastly superior south american hardwoods available like blue mahoe, purple heart and green heart at quite reasonable cost.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 9:24 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

940600 is the wto code for prefab buildings
Old Apr 7th 2018, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi uk_grenada. Thank you for your reply.
I wasn't sure what you meant by the wto code
Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:00 pm

Anything imported/exported is classified, can’t find the rate for Barbados but the world trade organisation code for prefab buildings is that, but whether the bits separately get coded like that who knows, in my experience it’s never that simple:
Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. That has been helpful.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi uk_grenada,
Do you have the name of german company you mentioned.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 2:37 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Just to advise, I would also think that you would need to contact Town & Country planning regarding the type of structure you are considering building. I know there are a few " must have's" these days depending on the size of the house/structure.. not necessarily for the actual structure but things like a water holding tank etc.

There is actually a house not far from me , that I believe was "shipped in " years ago. it's a round home and I think was imported from North Carolina. I pass it on occasion but have never stopped to inquire.

I don't know anyone in the home building field so I'm sorry I can't help in asking those questions.. however. .come to think of it.. I do know someone in Town and Country Planning. so.. I can maybe ask a general question re the structure..
Old Apr 8th 2018, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sunniebgi, thank you.