Broadband access

Old Aug 27th 2011, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Michael Digby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband access

I will be spending about 5 months of the year in Barbados and will want to have broadband access for 2 laptops. I am not really bothered about television or even having a landline telephone. Can anyone point me in the right direction about what is best - and importantly how much these things cost. Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

MLGONH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broadband access

hope the below link helps:

http://www.lime.com/bb/personal/internet/plans.jsp
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Michael Digby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - thanks for this. I can't believe how expensive it is. Regards
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at Telebarbados too. Their prices are a little lower, but their service is far better.

Bear in mind that TB uses aerials to get the phone/internet to you, so this requires power. No power, no internet or phone. One thing to say about Lime (and it is a small thing) is that your phone will still work when the power is off.

A bigger thing to say about Lime is that their service is absolutely, without question, the most appalling thing I have ever come across.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CarlHnz
Have a look at Telebarbados too. Their prices are a little lower, but their service is far better.

Bear in mind that TB uses aerials to get the phone/internet to you, so this requires power. No power, no internet or phone. One thing to say about Lime (and it is a small thing) is that your phone will still work when the power is off.

A bigger thing to say about Lime is that their service is absolutely, without question, the most appalling thing I have ever come across.
I have to disagree with that last post... we gave up on Telebarbados because they were not interested in us as a domestic user. Their service is geared up for business users. We had various technical issues and getting someone to even talk to us was a huge issue let alone getting any technical assistance.

Conversely when I approached LIME I got all the help and information I wanted immediately. We have never had any technical issues in the 6 months or so we have had their service. I had cause to call them once regarding the discounts we are supposed to receive for having phone/net/mobile packages. Sorted without an issue.

As I say I can only speak with my experience.

ian
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael Digby
I will be spending about 5 months of the year in Barbados and will want to have broadband access for 2 laptops. I am not really bothered about television or even having a landline telephone. Can anyone point me in the right direction about what is best - and importantly how much these things cost. Thanks
Options in Barbados:

www.time4lime.com ADSL
www.sunbeach.net ADSL
www.Freemotion.bb (WIMAX based)
www.WInetOnline.com (WIMAX based)
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CarlHnz

It was MUCH better when operations for the Eastern Caribbean were based in the big white building at Wildey (Barbados). But now it's base in Jamaica, and operations were all outsourced away from Barbados. I stay away from (S)LIME whenever possible.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by satellite_ian
I have to disagree with that last post... we gave up on Telebarbados because they were not interested in us as a domestic user. Their service is geared up for business users. We had various technical issues and getting someone to even talk to us was a huge issue let alone getting any technical assistance.

Conversely when I approached LIME I got all the help and information I wanted immediately. We have never had any technical issues in the 6 months or so we have had their service. I had cause to call them once regarding the discounts we are supposed to receive for having phone/net/mobile packages. Sorted without an issue.

As I say I can only speak with my experience.

ian
I had better luck with Wi-Net ( http://www.winetonline.com/ ) when I was in Barbados. They're still young so eager to please. Their service is based on the same WiMAX technology as TeleBarbados / Free Motion.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

hotsun is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to add - we waited 5 months with Lime and have given up - paid our money and nothing, really bad customer service and were left completely in the dark as to the status of our landline and net connection. Still trying to get a refund back from them.

We are now talking to other companies.

I would stay away from Lime if you can

Good luck!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading the posts above, it would seem that the general concensus is that you have to "suck it and see". I am coming across soon and will be needing the internet but will be shopping around after I get settled. Is there anywhere in the mean time that I will be able to go and get WiFi until I am all set at home?