British University Living

Old Oct 9th 2017, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough
Default British University Living

Anyone have any experience of buying and licensing a "house of multiple occupancy" for students in UK.... am particularly interested in Southampton...
Old Oct 9th 2017, 4:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British University Living

Originally Posted by satellite_ian
Anyone have any experience of buying and licensing a "house of multiple occupancy" for students in UK.... am particularly interested in Southampton...
Buying a house to let in the UK from outside the UK is going to be very very hard, you are unlikely to get a mortgage.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

I can handle the financial... do you know anything about licensing HMO?
Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

No, sorry
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

vIf you are aiming specifically for students the I'd suggest talking to the university itself, if nothing else they can advise you which council bodies to speak to, and being aligned with the university should enable you to have some control over the residents who are accepted - ie ensuring the places are only let to students.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of rules and regulations. Have you tried something called google? https://www.gov.uk/house-in-multiple-occupation-licence
Old Oct 10th 2017, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

One of the things that is so utterly disappointing about many forum sites, including this one, is the complete smugness of some contributers..

"something called google" .. what do you think?

The point of this site is to call on people to ask if they have personal experience of a subject which takes you above and beyond what the questioner can find simply by googling the subject. quite frankly if that was all you had to reply... why bother?
Old Oct 10th 2017, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Pollyanna....I would have said the same thing... and went to see the relevant office at Southampton twice when settling my step daughter into uni there... and the sum total of their response.....zero.....
Old Oct 10th 2017, 12:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyanna....I would have said the same thing... and went to see the relevant office at Southampton twice when settling my step daughter into uni there... and the sum total of their response.....zero.....
Thats a shame, I know when my nephew went up to Coventry the housing office was amazingly helpful, and sorted out a couple of dodgy landlords over his time there!
Old Oct 10th 2017, 4:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Try Portsmouth University. You may not want to buy there, but they do seem to have active management of private landlords that they inspect and then list for students as "recommended".
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The local Council of the location you want to buy in will have comprehensive info on their website regarding requirements to run an HMO in the area.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Regulations are framed at England-level and powers are given to local authorites. In Scotland this is a devolved matter. Not sure about position in Wales or NI
Old Oct 12th 2017, 1:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

OP, why don't you ask on this section of the forum Moving back to the UK - British Expats ?

sorry I can't help you but I think you'll have more chance of someone who does seeing your post there.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:50 am
Just Joined

C.Mack is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not have first hand experience. I do know someone that does this though. Are you still in need of guidance?
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks but no.. I think I have it covered now....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.