British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   British tv (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/british-tv-873196/)

lonyo1 Feb 24th 2016 9:39 am

British tv

Hi all,

I'm new on the Island for the next 4 months, then going home and coming back for a further 4 months. Does anyone know how can watch British tv shows without getting a dish? Look forward hearing from you all.

Lonyo

satellite_ian Feb 24th 2016 12:04 pm

Re: British tv

There are several ways...depending upon your budget, internet speed.

You can get a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Cost - free or up to approx £10 a month. With this you log into your VPN then you can access BBC/ITV/CH4 websites for live or on-demand programming.

You can get an Android box. Cost - from £30 upwards. You plug this into your tv, connect it to the net and watch what services there are (different services come standard on different boxes). You can generally buy additional service packages - just like regular TV subscription.

Kodi software. Cost - free. Install this software on your computer, plug up to your TV and away you go. Can be awkward to set up if you are not computer literate, but there are lots of hold your hand videos on youtube.

Of course you can also Torrent - but that is illegal for copyrighted material and you take your chances with that one.

uk_grenada Feb 25th 2016 4:48 pm

VPN services are quite variable, and theres a lot of hidden advertising / misdirection on the web. When you use one, your local web provider is then unable to know what data you are sending / receiving, so they will probably mis-prioritise it as lower speed browsing data. Its actually video that needs more bandwidth but they dont - deliberately - know that. So, if you have a 10kb speed connection its possible that you will only get a tenth of that over a vpn and its nobodys fault really.

I use nordvpn - there are a few other good ones - i would suggest you dont use a free service and esp not hola, and watch uk and american tv happily over what is really about a 1.5mb link inside the vpn. The link itself is 15 mb. Live and app / catchup tv is all fine, via ipad, laptop, macbook or even iphone. I have a smart samsung tv and could use a router managed connection but its best to have some non vpn devices for a number of reasons.

satellite_ian Feb 25th 2016 5:01 pm

I use My Private Network, cost £5 a month. Yes VPN does come with some overhead in terms of speed restrictions. However for BBC iPlayer or 4OD and ITVplayer.. I don't experience problems.

Of course if you are not too concerned about live tv you can use these services, along with your VPN, and download and save to disk.. then the actual line speed is not an issue - except for the time to download.. but hey you have to sleep and you can let it run then.

If you want the maximum speed from your line then yes use something non-VPN... if you are computer literate then yes the Kodi route or something similar will work for you...

uk_grenada Feb 25th 2016 5:37 pm

Nordvpn was 30 us dollars a year, but they dont offer a freebie trial, but i had used them at work before...

satellite_ian Feb 25th 2016 5:39 pm

My Private Network is a month by month subscription so you can cancel at any time...

I have nothing to do with the company at all.. just am very pleased with them and their service.

Wharfer Feb 26th 2016 10:19 am

You could also use a DNS service. Your IP address changes and by doing so you can use USA Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc. Just look around what works best for yourself.

uk_grenada Feb 26th 2016 11:04 am

Dns doesnt work any more for iplayer and most uk players, they are wise to that one and block the service addresses.

Wharfer Feb 26th 2016 2:34 pm

That's odd was still watching last night👍👍👍 but who knows when BBC will stop, same for Netflix!

uk_grenada Feb 26th 2016 3:48 pm

Depends on your provider, they have been busy removing that loophole. The digital spy forum has a lot of info about that.

Rachel_M May 11th 2016 4:52 pm

I use CinemixTv Soap or www.dailymotion.com mostly to watch soaps etc.