British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Bringing pets from North America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/bringing-pets-north-america-851059/)

slainteva Jan 19th 2015 5:06 pm

Bringing pets from North America

If you live in North America (as I do) and you are moving to Barbados (as I am), bringing pets (dogs/cats) with you has required 6 months of quarantine in the UK (for the pet lol).

I have heard that the Bajan government has relaxed this requirement (or will do soon), and that personal pets may now be moved directly from the North America to Barbados.

Can anyone comment if this has, in fact, changed? I can find no mention of the change on govt web sites.
Thanks.

uk_grenada Jan 20th 2015 10:57 am

Re: Bringing pets from North America

The rules the the uk changed years ago, 6 month thing is not the same, but the rules are stringent.

Sunniebgi Jan 22nd 2015 9:03 pm

sorry for not responding before.. The rules have changed.. more better for bringing pets in.. but I will have to find the new info as listed.. I'll see what I can find and post them..

AnthonyNYC Feb 25th 2015 6:02 am

This is great news.

Barbados Pet Passport - Current Dog and Cat Import Requirements

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Barbados

As of January 1, 2015, pets can enter Barbados from all countries without quarantine as long as import regulations are met.

Requirements to transport your pet to Barbados:

Your dog, cat or ferret must have a 15 digit ISO pet microchip implanted before being vaccinated for rabies. If your pet's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner. Pets must wait for at least 25 days after vaccination to enter Barbados if entering from a rabies-controlled country (see below).
If entering Barbados from any other country than those listed below, a Blood Titer Test is required no sooner than 30 days after rabies vaccination. Assuming acceptable results, your pet can enter Barbados 90 days after the date the blood was drawn for the test.
An Import Permit must be obtained from the Veterinary Services Department for all cats, dogs, other warm blooded animals, reptiles and birds. Permits are valid for six (6) months from the date of issue.
If your pet is originating in a country where the following diseases are endemic, your pet must be tested for heartworm, leishmaniasis, nipah virus and/or hendra virus and found to be negative .
An accredited veterinarian must complete a Veterinary Certificate for Barbados for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. Otherwide the Veterinary Authority of your country should endorse your pet's forms.
A ticks and tapeworm test should be completed by your veterinarian within 7 days of travel.
Unaccompanied pets traveling as manifest cargo will need a health certificate issued within 10 days of travel. Your airlines may also require a health certificate even if your pet is traveling with you in the cabin or as checked baggage.

This completes a passport for your dog or cat to enter Barbados.

Countries that Barbados considers to be rabies-controlled: Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Ascension Island, Australia, Bahamas, Bermuda, BES Islands (Bonaire, St. Eustatius & Saba), British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Channel Islands, Curacao, Dominica, European Union Member Countries, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Greenland, Guam, Guadeloupe, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Iceland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Liechtenstein, Martinique, Mexico, Monaco, Montserrat, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, Russian Federation, St. Helena, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten/St. Martin, St. Pierre & Miquelon, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Vanuatu, Vatican City State, and Wallis & Futuna.

You must make prior arrangements for the Country Veterinarian to meet your pet on arrival for inspection; there is a fee for the inspection. If traveling from another country through any of the countries listed above, your pet must conform to the requirements of the transiting country. Your pet can then travel directly from the the listed country to Barbados. Pets must arrive as manifest cargo.

Dog Passport Barbados

Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.

Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Barbados. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Barbados. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.

If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITIES). You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Search their database. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITIES regulations. Read more about CITIES.

Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.

slainteva Aug 12th 2015 7:04 pm

Hi!
We will arrive in Barbados in a few days, but without our cat.
She will join us at a later date, once I figure out the exact process.

Can anyone recommend an import broker?

Would also like to hear from anyone who has imported an animal recently (especially from Canada).
Govt web site has been updated, but still have some questions.
Thanks
sv