British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Bringing a family member back to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/bringing-family-member-back-uk-758813/)

Lyndi1 May 19th 2012 7:39 pm

Bringing a family member back to the UK

We are looking at bringing my elderly Mother-In-Law back to the UK to live with us. I have checked the Home Office website and it appears that this can be done providing the person has no other family to look after her (which is the case with us).

Has anyone else reading this forum ever done this? I would love to hear about your experience.

Destiny4 May 20th 2012 7:38 am

Re: Bringing a family member back to the UK

Hi
I'm a registered immigration advisor in uk. (SNIP) You are on the right track, but there is more to it than you think.

Mitzyboy May 20th 2012 8:46 am

Lets see the advice on the forum, rather than pm, eh? :);)

Serendipidy May 20th 2012 5:56 pm

:wave:@Destiny xx

Sue May 22nd 2012 6:23 pm

Hi Destiny,

What Mitzy is hinting at is that it's best to keep the conversation in the open forum, that way all can benefit from the information and experiences shared. Of course personal stuff can be shared via PM :)

Sue

Destiny4 May 22nd 2012 7:02 pm

Hi everyone
Just to clear the air ... I suggested a private message as I would not want or expect people to give out their personal details on an open forum. Everyone has different circumstances and and this may affect the advice one gives. For these reasons one always has to be careful when giving advice.
I totally accept what mitzy has said and do not want to be seen as touting for business.
The only reason I haven't replied sooner is that I've been busy!
So, here goes ... Please remember this is general advice. The immigration rules are available on the UKBA website, what is hard to find is how to comply with the rules.

To bring a parent or grandparent to the uk for permanent settlement ...

If the parent (or one of them if they are a couple) is over 65 yrs old:
1. Must be related as claimed
2.Uk sponsor must be settled in uk
3.Must be mainly financially dependant on uk relative
4. Must be accommodated in uk without claiming benefits
5.Must be financially supported in uk without claiming public funds
6.Must have no other close relatives in their own country to whom they can turn to for support

If the parent or grandparent is under 65 years old:

All of the above PLUS they must be "living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances". This is extremely difficult to comply with and very hard to be successful. The words of the rule are strong, the bar is set very high.

In terms of documents, you may need passports (including old ones) birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates, wage slips, bank statements, housing reports, mortgage papers, evidence of money sent to the relative, evidence of contact between the relatives, doctors reports. The list goes on depending on circumstances.

People should know that the burden of proof is on the applicant. This means that the UKBA only have to make decisions on the papers before them. You have to prove your case, it's up to you not UKBA.

People should realise that this is a legal process. It is about providing evidence of the circumstances. You cannot expect UKBA to simply 'believe' you. Cases often end up in immigration courts and judges and lawyers expect documentary evidence.

Hope all this helps someone out there!

Serendipidy May 23rd 2012 12:28 am

Oi Destiny cant you see me waving to you woman lol!!!

Destiny4 May 23rd 2012 6:20 am

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hi Dips
Didn't mean to be rude! Hope you're well. Busy as ever on here I see!

Mitzyboy May 23rd 2012 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 10076189)
Hi Destiny,

What Mitzy is hinting at is that it's best to keep the conversation in the open forum, that way all can benefit from the information and experiences shared. Of course personal stuff can be shared via PM :)

Sue

Yes, I already made that clear by pm :)