Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Booking tickets to Barbados

Booking tickets to Barbados

Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Booking tickets to Barbados

Sounds like I will need to go straight to immagration as soon as I get to Barbados to apply for the extention. Last time I was told to wait until a week before my 30 days is up but this time I will go down a few days after arriving.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Hey Tizzy,

Same story is happening to folks who are here on short-term work permits (i.e. 6-month permits). I know a few who have been waiting so long to hear from Immigration whether their permit extension has been approved, that the time to apply for the next extension has come. Crazy.

Sounds like you've got all your documents in order, which is good. Keep those receipts!

Good luck. I hope they get it sorted out soon.
Foxy
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Tizzy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Foxy,

Yes I have all my documents/receipts etc. I don't think there is anything to do other than just wait now.

Someone did suggest getting a lawyer to help push forward the citizenship part of it, we don't really have the money to do that but has anyone had any experience/or know anyone who has achieved this with a lawyer?
Tizzy
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

butterflysue1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally when I was going through the process I never called them on the phone always went in and spoke to someone. I would advise when going to take a snack and a drink cos you never know how long your going to be in there. After my first extension
I had bought a house here
I was seperated from my bajan husband
I was setting up a business
I was told cross a line through form and put awaiting citizenship so even though it took 18months to get it I just let the process take its course as I had heard stories of people being kept waiting on purpose because they had hassled the staff. So read into that what you will.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Taking snacks/drinks a wise idea, just make sure you eat and drink outside the building...

I
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shines
Taking snacks/drinks a wise idea, just make sure you eat and drink outside the building...

I
Thanks guys maybe it is better that I just go there and wait and wait!!! lol
So Butterflysue, you got through with citizenship being separated from your hubby?
Thanks for the tip too I will be extra polite with them
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

danilas is an unknown quantity at this point

ok so clearly there's A LOT of waiting.
I'm still blissfully unaware of the hazzards of dealing with immigration, so i'm wondering about what happens after the waiting - i mean is it just the uncertainty that's stressful or is it that they're very likely to turn around and say "well we've considered your application for the last 3 years, and you're denied, please leave." ???

Tizzy01 am i right in thinking that you're allowed to stay in the island while you wait for them to grant you an extension? I would have thought that if you're given a certain amount of time then you have to leave once that time's up even if you've applied for more time?

The thing is, at the best of times things in Barbados move at a fairly relaxed pace, more so than we're used to here in the UK. People don't tend to get as stressed out about these things and certainly nobody's going to stress themselves out on your behalf! I'm trying my best to adjust my expectations accordingly!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by danilas
ok so clearly there's A LOT of waiting.
I'm still blissfully unaware of the hazzards of dealing with immigration, so i'm wondering about what happens after the waiting - i mean is it just the uncertainty that's stressful or is it that they're very likely to turn around and say "well we've considered your application for the last 3 years, and you're denied, please leave." ???

Tizzy01 am i right in thinking that you're allowed to stay in the island while you wait for them to grant you an extension? I would have thought that if you're given a certain amount of time then you have to leave once that time's up even if you've applied for more time?

The thing is, at the best of times things in Barbados move at a fairly relaxed pace, more so than we're used to here in the UK. People don't tend to get as stressed out about these things and certainly nobody's going to stress themselves out on your behalf! I'm trying my best to adjust my expectations accordingly!
When I applied for the extension they just told me that they'll call me when they are ready to stamp my passport, I have applied for citizenship by marriage though so that may make a difference in that I am still here with no stamp in my passport!

After the 3 years I do believe that I (and hubby) have to be interviewed and then sometime after that I will get citizenship. I don't think they can then deny me as I'm entitled to be here due to my marriage, what's frustrating is the not being able to work while I'm waiting!