Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Black Bess $600,000 000 project

Black Bess $600,000 000 project

Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:48 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Black Bess $600,000 000 project

Can anyone give me any information on the Black Bess project.And what does it consist of is it hotel and golf course.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Black Bess $600,000 000 project

I think that it is kaput...try google the developer (whom I believe is French) used to have site up for it a while back. HTH.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

It did close down, it was going to be a Banyan Tree resort I believe but they pulled out.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:10 am
Banned

reslax is an unknown quantity at this point

The $600,000,000 Black Bess project is a part of former Prime Minister, Owen Arthur's, terrible legacy. He would have sold off the entire island to the highest bidders if the people did not kick him out of office. The Nation newspaper online ran two articles about this project on November 12, 2009 and November 13, 2009. The first article is entitled " Gran Living in Fear Under Construction Site." It is the sad tale of an 82 year old Bajan woman who is being affected by the abandoned project. Her story is becoming all too common. Following is the article:

"CONSTRUCTION ON THE SITE of the $600 million Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts Ltd at Black Bess, St Peter, has taken a toll on 82-year-old Gellispie Springer.

Springer, who lives below the site at Upper Rock Dundo, St James, said her life has been disrupted by falling boulders and mould, loud noises from bulldozers and now a mass of water.

Whenever it rains, water gushes down the cliff above her and floods around her house and the road.

"If you see how the water rush down from there and flood my whole yard; I had to say Lord have mercy!" the elderly woman cried as she pointed to the cliff which is about 50 to 60 feet high.

"I have been living out here all my life and I never see nothing like this until all that work started out there. It got me real frighten," she stated.

A NATION team contacted director Mark King who responded: "I am not in the business of discussing with the newspaper any problems. If there is a problem we will deal with it."

Springer said that a representative of the company visited her on Monday evening and told her that a barrier would be constructed on the cliff to prevent the water from flowing onto her property. (MB)

The second article entitled, "$600m Resort Hits Snag" simply states the project has been grounded indefinitely. The failure of the huge Four Seasons Resort project coupled with the failure of this project is contributing to growing resentment among Bajans about what is being done with their land to accommodate foreigners.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:46 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reslax
The $600,000,000 Black Bess project is a part of former Prime Minister, Owen Arthur's, terrible legacy. He would have sold off the entire island to the highest bidders if the people did not kick him out of office. The Nation newspaper online ran two articles about this project on November 12, 2009 and November 13, 2009. The first article is entitled " Gran Living in Fear Under Construction Site." It is the sad tale of an 82 year old Bajan woman who is being affected by the abandoned project. Her story is becoming all too common. .
I thought Barbados had sold out long ago ? This is becoming more of a common story throughoiut the Caribbean, Governments selling the national treasure(being the land to the highest bidder).

Short term gain, long term pain mentality ?
I wonder why in the middle east foreigners are not allowed to buy land, but in most cases allowed just to lease it ? there is a saying who owns the land owns the country, maybe the heads of the Caribbean islands will wake up to this fact one day.

The Caribbean is being re colonialised, this time economically, and the effects will most be felt when locals realise that they are no longer welcome in parts of their own island.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

I had heard that there is a rule in place/to be put in place that foreigners are not allowed to buy land on the East Coast of Barbados. Not sure how true this is though...
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:01 pm
Banned

Of course Shines that is not a rule,have you ever look at the eastcoast no human in their right mind will invest money on the eastcoast,the spray from the sea has destroy everything, all the houses are rusted,all the coconut trees has lost their leaves nothing can survive on the eastcoast thats why a law will come soon,why dont they build on the eastcoast instead? makes no sense to introduce a law like that.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neal brown
Of course Shines that is not a rule,have you ever look at the eastcoast no human in their right mind will invest money on the eastcoast,the spray from the sea has destroy everything, all the houses are rusted,all the coconut trees has lost their leaves nothing can survive on the eastcoast thats why a law will come soon,why dont they build on the eastcoast instead? makes no sense to introduce a law like that.

Oh you mean I should go and look at the East coast, you are very helpful, can you tell me whereabouts it is?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Errr on the east side of the Island? Get up early and look for the sun to rise. It comes up in the east so that will give you the direction to go.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:11 pm
Banned

Shines are you joking with me or what? take a map and a car drive up to farley hill,wild life reserve go down the hill follow the road .The east coast or scotland district is made up of mainly clay if you dont be careful your house or hotel will sink into the earth and if to much rain fall in certain areas, the land can look similar to beach erosion,so i wont even build a cow pen on the east coast.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I love how you all rate my intelligence so highly, clearly I was joking

I was merely trying to point out how some rules do apply and that, even though the salt is a major issue (I live at the North and am well versed in salt spray and my husband works on the East coast), that possibly these "rules/laws" may lead to future thinking on behalf of the Island...

Possibly/probably not but who knows, just trying to add something to the mix.

Edited to add - also so impressed that Rete "super moderator" also felt it necessary to jump in and comment on my supposed stupidity, amazing how appearing dim can bring out the best in people

Last edited by shines; Nov 19th 2009 at 6:23 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 7:58 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Shines I cant remember if ya english but if ya is that would explain why your humour aint travelling to the others lol (us english do sarcasm lol)
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:57 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

In fact.. there is or was going to be a law put into place that no land on the east coast would be sold to foreigners.. I believe that had to do with the current Sam Lords property among other locations. this was an "early in his administration" thing for David Thompson.. who said a lot of things but hasn't really done some of what he said... (he is a politician after all)

We all know about Seaspray etc.. but that hasn't stopped The Crane or many other people from building houses along the east coast. They just have to be able to deal with it.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

As a proud descendant of a long line of "East Coast people" with a house there currently, I'm actually glad that the rugged coastline is undesirable to most foreign investment. There was talk of a spa or old people home to be built in St John not sure where all that went, though.

However, plenty Bajans that got pushed out due to foreigners buying up Ch Ch have resettled in St John, St Philip and even St Joseph who might never have thought to live there before. The amount of big new houses going up is

I still say you can't beat the East Coast, but that's just opinion.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:07 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karibspices
As a proud descendant of a long line of "East Coast people" with a house there currently, I'm actually glad that the rugged coastline is undesirable to most foreign investment. There was talk of a spa or old people home to be built in St John not sure where all that went, though.

However, plenty Bajans that got pushed out due to foreigners buying up Ch Ch have resettled in St John, St Philip and even St Joseph who might never have thought to live there before. The amount of big new houses going up is

I still say you can't beat the East Coast, but that's just opinion.

Umm who sold their homes, houses and land to the foreigner who "pushed out" plenty Bajans???? - Im guessing it was Bajans who saw the money grabbed it and then settled elsewhere cheaper like St John etc???

Im sick of hearing that foreigners brought up land so locals can no longer afford to buy it - go berate to your grandfathers etc who sold the land in the first place before constantly berating the purchaser of something that was put up for sale willingly - I am talkig about residential land and property here before you start quoting Owen Arthur's history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.