Belongings

Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Belongings

Hello all,

I have just had it mentioned to me that the tools that I am wanting to bring with me to Bim may have have a Tax leveled against them.

Is this correct as the tools are the only things I was looking at keeping hold of from all of the belongings I own when I move across the pond?

REgards

Duncan
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:25 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belongings

well I'm guessing it depends on what type of tools you are bringing with you and the type of work you do.. they may assume these tools are used for business and not for your own personal use. Trust me.. moving and bringing your own stuff here has been an issue for years.. good luck
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the answer Sunniebgi,

I will look into it further when I come across in April. The tools are for personal use but are also the tools of my many trades as through the years I have picked a few skills by either teaching my self or as formal training. The tools just sort of grew an abundance along the way. I would be gutted to have to get rid of any of them.

I am already looking for some kind of transformer that will allow me to use the UK style plugs on my electrical equipment. It's looking more and more likely that I will end up with a generator just for those.

Once again thanks for the heads up
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by no2son
Thanks for the answer Sunniebgi,

I will look into it further when I come across in April. The tools are for personal use but are also the tools of my many trades as through the years I have picked a few skills by either teaching my self or as formal training. The tools just sort of grew an abundance along the way. I would be gutted to have to get rid of any of them.

I am already looking for some kind of transformer that will allow me to use the UK style plugs on my electrical equipment. It's looking more and more likely that I will end up with a generator just for those.

Once again thanks for the heads up
I found it easy enough to get a 240v supply and UK style sockets fitted here where necessary.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Eventually, When I have my own place I would want to do something like that but as i will be renting for the first few months at least I was looking for another method.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

bb4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

we came late last year and we didn't have any problems bringing in anything. the customs inspection officer only wanted to know if we had any new appliances or furniture. from my basic knowledge, i believe as long as it's for personal use and more than 1 year's old, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Hi bb4ever,

Thanks for the insite. This does make me feel alot better. Sorting through the things I own and getting rid of alot of it has been quite emotional. lol. But the thought of letting my tools go would be like loosing an appendage. Sad I know. So thanks for sharing your experiences.

Duncan
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by no2son
Hi bb4ever,

Thanks for the insite. This does make me feel alot better. Sorting through the things I own and getting rid of alot of it has been quite emotional. lol. But the thought of letting my tools go would be like loosing an appendage. Sad I know. So thanks for sharing your experiences.

Duncan
I brought boxes of tools in last year with no problems at all. I can confirm that all they were interested in was any new items.