B'dos Road Tax

Old Feb 10th 2015, 3:46 am
Just Joined

jomberee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B'dos Road Tax

My father is a returning Bajan Brit The road tax on his 2000 Honda Accord SE 1.8 L is
BD$ 950 a year.. He no longer drives but I do when i come home to help care for him. I really want to return home permanently, but the cost of living is so high. Some of us only have a modest pension. I was told it shouldn't be that high. Any ideas?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 5:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: B'dos Road Tax

Hi there and welcome to BE.

I am not sure which country you are talking about .

Are you meaning the UK road tax please ,or perhaps Barbados.

I will move this query into the right place for you once I hear from you & hopefully folk will then be along to help with this.

regards
BEVS
Old Feb 10th 2015, 5:27 am
Just Joined

jomberee is an unknown quantity at this point

I am referring to the Barbados road tax.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

All moved
Old Feb 11th 2015, 11:48 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla Spacio.. (smallish car constructed on a Corolla frame, import from japan).. 1.8 engine (I think) and I pay about 450.00bbd a year.. Rates are based on engine size and weight of the car.. it's very unfortunate.. for all of us.. the road tax rates went up in about 2007 or just after.. after this current administration took office.. I paid something like 200.00 before then.. I guess the way you have to look at it is.. cost of living is all relative.. what you do, what you spend your money on, etc.... I have a family of 5 and a dog.. you can imagine my grocery bill (and we don't have coupons here..) .. The best part.. Gas went down from 3.50bbd per litre to 2.85bbd per litre last month.. and I am saving about 30.00 plus every week or so in gas.. that certainly does help.. and, according to my husband, our electric bill this past month was the lowest it's been in years.. we don't keep lights on except in the evening.. but we have all the other bells and whistles (computers, tv, fridge, electric stove/oven etc) but because of the Gas drop, the electric has dropped as well..
Old Feb 26th 2015, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

AnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla Spacio.. (smallish car constructed on a Corolla frame, import from japan).. 1.8 engine (I think) and I pay about 450.00bbd a year.. Rates are based on engine size and weight of the car.. it's very unfortunate.. for all of us.. the road tax rates went up in about 2007 or just after.. after this current administration took office.. I paid something like 200.00 before then.. I guess the way you have to look at it is.. cost of living is all relative.. what you do, what you spend your money on, etc.... I have a family of 5 and a dog.. you can imagine my grocery bill (and we don't have coupons here..) .. The best part.. Gas went down from 3.50bbd per litre to 2.85bbd per litre last month.. and I am saving about 30.00 plus every week or so in gas.. that certainly does help.. and, according to my husband, our electric bill this past month was the lowest it's been in years.. we don't keep lights on except in the evening.. but we have all the other bells and whistles (computers, tv, fridge, electric stove/oven etc) but because of the Gas drop, the electric has dropped as well..
Interesting article. What do you think?

BCCI to Govt: Collect road tax at the gas pump | Barbados Today

Anthony
Old Feb 28th 2015, 11:19 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

it becomes a "Paul pays for All" kind of thing.. if I drive my car a lot, which I do, I will be paying more road tax on my small car, because I use more gas and effectively use the road more. might be a good thing.. or not.. but I'd have to go back and check what I pay and how much I get each time I fill up to know if over the year I will pay more or less...
Old Mar 15th 2015, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

AnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura about

Good points. I doubt it's going to happen anyway.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Juliaabrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. I'm a new member, a Brit with a long term plan to move to Barbados for retirement and a little work . My partner is Bajan. We bought a car on the island a year ago ex rental. Small Kia Piccanto. I sorted out insurance and lots of other stuff when I bought it and it's ready for renewal next month which is fine. Road tax was sorted by seller .

A few questions if anyone can help me?

Road tax. Will I be sent a reminder when it's due or is that up to me to know? How do I pay and is there anything is else I need to get for renewal ?

I'm told that I need an annual valuation of the car to renew insurance. Is that right?

Is there any Bajan equivalent of the MOT? I don't think there was when I bought but I may have missed it buying from a commercial seller.

Anything else I will need annually for the car?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 1:12 am

HI Julia, I'll attempt to answer some of your questions.

Road tax. Will I be sent a reminder when it's due or is that up to me to know? How do I pay and is there anything is else I need to get for renewal ? we used to receive a reminder for our road tax but even if you didn't get it or it got to you late (as in "the reminder is in the mail") it wouldn't matter. you just have to know.. and go..

I'm told that I need an annual valuation of the car to renew insurance. Is that right? this I honestly can't remember. Will see if I can find out. The best thing to do is check with the insurance company on that. I think what happens is my mechanic checks over the car and depreciates it by a bit every year.

Is there any Bajan equivalent of the MOT? I don't think there was when I bought but I may have missed it buying from a commercial seller. MOT?? Ministry of Transport.. has been around for years.. Not sure why you woulnd't have had to go there (MWT - Ministry of Works and Transport), but I guess it depends on who you purchased it from and if they did all of that.

Anything else I will need annually for the car? off the top of my head.. I don't think so.. Road Tax and Insurance.. that's pretty much it..

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Valuation requirement by the insurance depends which cover you are taking. Third party only nothing required, however if you want full coverage the insurance wants to know what the value is per year. Regarding MOT seems to vary by insurance company as well, some check by themselves, others are looking for a road worthy certificate. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Juliaabrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much . It is comprehensive cover so they do need an annual valuation. No sign of a need for an MOT equivalent so far but we may find out when we apply for our road tax .