British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   BBC Iplayer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/bbc-iplayer-737262/)

nilocp Oct 29th 2011 9:14 pm

BBC Iplayer

Not sure if this has come up before but I downloaded a load of programs with Iplayer before I left for my current trip. Would not play on the plane, not connected to the Internet. Find that confusing as they are massive downloaded files, so I assumed it was watcheable at any time.

So arrive BIM and try again, when I am on the Internet. Still no go.

Message I get says I cannot download the program, but already downloaded!

Anyone come across this, and how to solve it??

Colin

marmiteontoast Oct 30th 2011 10:25 pm

Re: BBC Iplayer

Not sure about downloading iplayer stuff, but you can only access BBC TV online in the UK - ie. cannot use iplayer abroad (although you can get BBC radio online). How about seeing if it is on youtube? Like a saddo, I watch Holby City that way! Or you can pay some company online a certain amount of money each month to access all UK TV as they give you a British URL (? or something ?) to 'fool' the BBC. Or alternatively, don't stay in watching the telly, go out, get in the sea or have some fun in a bar!

Mitzyboy Oct 31st 2011 12:21 am

Marmite is talking about a proxy server. You can get free or pay for them. It allows you to fool the BBC into thinking you are in the UK. They can sometimes be slow, but it is a way of getting around the iplayer problem

satellite_ian Oct 31st 2011 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9705387)
Marmite is talking about a proxy server. You can get free or pay for them. It allows you to fool the BBC into thinking you are in the UK. They can sometimes be slow, but it is a way of getting around the iplayer problem

I use My Private Network while in Barbados... costs me £5 a month gives me full access to UK tv should I feel the need...and other UK based internet services such as paying online which sometimes can be a bit awkward from a Barbados based IP address.

Ian

Michael Digby Nov 5th 2011 12:02 pm

Hi - what do you mean by 'My Private Network' ....... sorry to be reeeelly dim but this sounds good!!:blink:

satellite_ian Nov 5th 2011 1:14 pm

Hi

My Private Network is proxy server provider, their website is www.my-private-network.co.uk. Have a look, it contains full instructions on installation, usage and payment. If you have any questions then let me know.

For the record I have no connection with them at all, am just a very satisfied user.

Ian

nilocp Nov 6th 2011 12:13 pm

I will have a look at My Private Network as well.

Anyone got experience of Net2 View??

Colin