British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   barbados - mediums, psyhics, spiritualists (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/barbados-mediums-psyhics-spiritualists-397695/)

emmewebb Sep 20th 2006 10:01 pm

barbados - mediums, psyhics, spiritualists

I am moving to Barbados and wonder if there are any spiritualist churches on the island where mediums give demonstations. I currently sit in a "circle" and whilst I realise some find my interest bizarre, spiritualist churches are widespread in the UK. I wonder what peoples reaction would be in Barbados.

Emme

Baz Sep 21st 2006 11:54 am

Re: barbados - mediums, psyhics, spiritualists

In the Cayman's i believe it is actually ileagal, all do do with "Obea." I think you will find most of the Caribbean at least purports to be very christian, so the locals would not be too impressed by that kind of thing (there is alot of homophobia etc - etc.) I'm not saying what you do is un-christian, but thats most likely the way they would look at it.

emmewebb Sep 25th 2006 7:30 am

Justs shows how different cultures react. The spiritualist chuch I attend is a christian one- on the isle of wight, which is smaller than Barbados,there are 4, 1 in each town. My mother's anglican vicar said that it used to be common place but the trend against communication through mediums with those in the afterlife has so often been linked with witchcraft, voodoo, clairvoyants, etc the church doesn't openly encourage nor discourage it. we say the Lord's prayer and do all the things normal christians do and if someone from the "otherside" wishes to pass a message via a medium to someone in the congregation they can, at an appointed time. I realise it might sound weird but its not unlike praying - you can't see God but we believe he hears and those who have passed to spirit can't be seen but can be heard through mediums. I can see how easy it would be to be linked with witchcraft and voodoo, however.

Sunniebgi Nov 28th 2006 10:58 am

Originally Posted by emmewebb
Justs shows how different cultures react. The spiritualist chuch I attend is a christian one- on the isle of wight, which is smaller than Barbados,there are 4, 1 in each town. My mother's anglican vicar said that it used to be common place but the trend against communication through mediums with those in the afterlife has so often been linked with witchcraft, voodoo, clairvoyants, etc the church doesn't openly encourage nor discourage it. we say the Lord's prayer and do all the things normal christians do and if someone from the "otherside" wishes to pass a message via a medium to someone in the congregation they can, at an appointed time. I realise it might sound weird but its not unlike praying - you can't see God but we believe he hears and those who have passed to spirit can't be seen but can be heard through mediums. I can see how easy it would be to be linked with witchcraft and voodoo, however.

Barbados is a very religious island (even though at times you have to wonder). while mostly grounded in the Anglican religion, new religious organizations have cropped up over time. We have many different options from Jewish to Christian Science to 7 Day Adventist to Catholic. New "churches" called the Living Room and Living Waters have joined in over the last few years. These would likely, from my understanding, be more towards the spiritual terms of things (shouting, raising of hands during song, etc) However, I'm not sure you are going to find any church that is going to be communicating with the dead during a service. they would view this as being more along the lines of the occult than anything else.

of course.. anything is possible...

_Tropical_11th Dec 7th 2006 1:42 am

Originally Posted by emmewebb
I am moving to Barbados and wonder if there are any spiritualist churches on the island where mediums give demonstations. I currently sit in a "circle" and whilst I realise some find my interest bizarre, spiritualist churches are widespread in the UK. I wonder what peoples reaction would be in Barbados.

Emme

Freedom of Worship is one of the rights protected under the Barbados Constitution. Whatever religion it as (so long as it doesn't break laws of the Nation.)

So if you're into any Shango, Vodoo, Obeah, a Protestant, a Catholic, Judism, Paganism, Hinduism, Shouter Baptists, etc, etc, etc. must all be allowed to worship freely in Barbados.

Barbados is small but like the rest of the Caribbean there's sooo many ethnic groups from all over the world they all have to learn to get along in that small country.

~Tropical