Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Barbados Immigration Treatment

Barbados Immigration Treatment

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:31 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Barbados Immigration Treatment

Hi All - well at last Immigration have deemed to let me know where they are with my Application - as a result im leaving the island. However the treatment that I and many others have experienced during this process is at best unnecessary and at worst downright in humane. These are government officials that are paid for by taxes I have been paying whilst here and although i dont appreciate the response I have received there is no reason for racism, personal attacks and lies to be added in the mix.

Im not gonna get into details right now cos they are dangling all sorts of caviats over my head and I have to decide if im gonna take a course of action that could make things a whole lot better for those coming behind me or whether to focus on whats good for me and protect my own back even tho there is no such thing as protection here. Therefore if you have a story regarding your treatment from immigration that is just not acceptable whether its anonymous or you are prepared to give your name please contact me via pm as I am considering compiling a dossier and presenting to the Oppposition Leader/Prime Minister/Head of Tourism Board/Nation Newspaper to make them aware of whats going on under their very noses. I already have local support from Bajan connections to facilitate this.

I know that there are rules and regulations in every country for immigration that foreigners have to abide by but at the same time i believe that every person has the right to be treated with respect whilst being involved in the system. One Voice alone cannot make a difference but just complaining to each other or dept heads in isolation will not help make that difference.

By the way im not interested in getting into a debate from anyone (you know who you are) as to whether this kind of behaviour happens in other countries cos its totally irrelevant to the purpose of this thread which is to ask others if they want to join together in being heard regarding Barbados Immigration treatment of visitors and foreign investors - please dont let this thread get hijacked for others purposes

Last edited by Serendipidy; Jan 23rd 2010 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Barbados Immigration Treatment

Wow...... so sorry to hear this. Good luck with compiling your document if you decide to, I hope it makes a difference. Again, really sorry and concerned for all of us after hearing about your experience x
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:11 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think that the immigration in Barbados treat people any different to any where else in the world.I just think they are just doing their job and following the law,People complain about immigration all over the world,so am taking my hat off to our immigration department for doing a wonderful job.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:43 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm true to form Neal you are so predictable - only you could be proud of such ignorance I guess you would feel totally at home in the immigration department as the sort of insensitive bullyish and totally unnecessary behaviour and bad attitude is 2nd nature toyou as i have seen on this site.

I suspect you are not even bajan just a kid who trolls the network for sites to cause trouble cos all the bajans I know can put an intellectual debate forward using proper english not so you.

Anyhow you have had enough attention for tonight no doubt you will reply so you can get tomorrows narcissitic supply of attention - sad sad sad
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:15 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Dipity.. I'm soooo sorry to hear this.. While I was lucky enough not to have to experience this, I just can't believe how things I've heard.. mostly through this board, but also from others.

I agree that taking it to the officials is important, and hopefully , with enough supportive documents, they will rethink what they are doing.

I think it's now time to get rid of Neal.. but that is not my call.

We should have a meet up before you go.. and when do you have to go??

I'm just stunned.. (or maybe not the way things have been going).
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:53 am
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Why get rid of Neal?For What? for making my opinion.Do you think only you have this problem,maybe you should talk to a lot of people that is trying to get into your own country and see what some of them have to say about your immigration.Remember the BLP is no longer in power,its the DLP government that i voted for that is making the right choices,you can complain but the BLP have NO say in this matter.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:14 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Neal you obviously didn't read Serendipity's request. She isn't looking for anyone's comments with regards to the wonderfulness of the Barbados Immigration authorities nor is she wanting to get into a fight over who is right or wrong or better than or worse than anyone else.

she has given her brief story and has has asked for others to contact her with information that will assist in her going to those in power to see if something can be done about the way things have been handled.

I'm not a B.. or a D... but am a Barbadian, if not by birth, but by the fact that I married a Bajan Gentleman , have lived here for 17 years, have my citizenship by right of marriage and have 3 bajan born children. I don't care which party is in power, but when the issues of the immigration department, their nastiness, their unhelpfulness to both citizens and those people trying to use the services of the immigration department, something has to be done.

by the way Neal.. if your PM has his way. .you will soon have a Jamaican or Trini running Barbados....

I'm not hijacking this thread.. just want to set the record straight.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

I'm sorry to hear this honey, I have to say whenever I deal with Immigration I take my Bajan hubby along to smooth the way, it just works easier - sadly should not be the case. We all have a right to be dealt with civilly and respectfully.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:37 pm
Banned

reslax is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunniebgi, I was going to tell you something about the behavior of your people, Americans, but I have decided not to. This is a new year and I am going to stay positive.

I won't even debate Serendipity's issue. I am going to start a new thread that is positive.

Last edited by reslax; Jan 24th 2010 at 3:44 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it really frustrating that some people have taken Serendipidy's post as some kind of attack on Barbados or Bajan people. I also don't understand why people think it's acceptable to talk about "the behaviour of your people". I'm not sure what the sentiment was, but it sounds almost racist.

All she's said is that she had a bad experience with Immigration, and she's asking if anyone else has been through the same. As she requested at the start, there's no need to compare it to other countries or talk about whether you think the decision was fair.

I think we should bear in mind two things - 1. Serendipidy obviously loves Barbados, has spent a lot of time here, and wishes she could stay. She's not attacking the country or its people with anything she's said. 2. Try and remember this is someone's life when you make sweeping statements and comparisons. Can you imagine being told to pack up and leave your friends and whole life behind? The rights and wrongs don't matter, anyone in that situation deserves a great deal of empathy and respect.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:15 pm

I am so wary about the current situation I have been placed in that I will probably now close this thread and resurrect it nearer my leaving date in case it completely compromises me but please keep sending me your pms

As for Neal and Reslax inspite of various conversations highlighting that the purpose of this expat site is to help those having issues or needing help with Barbados you refuse point blank to get the message - this is not a Barbadian Bashing Site its where you come for help - its NOT a Barbados 'Tourism promotion site. By the way if the DLP continue to harrass the Tourists and Entrepreneurs that contribute to the Barbadian economy there will be no need for a Tourism Board .

I dont have a valid reason to get rid of Neal although trust me I would like to as he is a constant reminder of the ignorance of the type of people that work in the immigration department - rude insensitive and loves to try and make people feel small and bad about their day.

I will however leave his unnecessary and nasty behaviour to the higher powers as we all reap what we sow(some just take longer)................