British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Barbados ID cards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/barbados-id-cards-805632/)

Macacque1 Aug 10th 2013 11:12 pm

Barbados ID cards

Hi All,

I have Bajan citizenship, although I have lived overseas for some years. I am the proud owner of a rather ancient ID card (talking 1980s here) and obviously need to get a new, up to date version. I understand this is necessary in order to have a new passport issued at the Passport Office in Bim, which is something I also need to be doing.

I am planning on making a trip over to Barbados in order to do this, but can anyone tell me a little about the process of having a new ID card issued? For instance, how long does it normally take and can I do this while on holiday there? I understand the passport can take 2 weeks, but can't seem to find any info online about the ID card.

Thanks in advance!

Sunniebgi Aug 11th 2013 1:06 pm

Re: Barbados ID cards

you will need to go to the Electoral and Boundaries office located in the old National Insurance building in Bridgetown. this building is across the street from the Fairchild Street Bus Terminal . Anyone in town and point you in the right direction.

I would suggest you take your original ID Card along with your birth certificate or citizenship certificate (if you are not a born citizen) . they will have you fill out a form, take copies of these documents (or at least look at them), and take your photo.. the wait is maybe 2 weeks ish.. if you are not going to be in Barbados when the card is ready, ask them if you may appoint someone else to collect, write a letter authorizing the person to collect your ID on your behalf, and sign it. when the person goes, they will need their ID and the letter.. I don't think the office will mail the ID..

Sunniebgi Aug 11th 2013 1:09 pm

http://www.electoral.barbados.gov.bb...fications.html Realized it doesn't show how long to wait.. it could be 2 weeks.. or 1 week.. honestly.. not sure..

did this with my daughter who changed her child ID to an adult ID (turned 16 in 2012).. but can't remember how long it took before we had to go back. could have been 1 week

Macacque1 Aug 11th 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks so much, Sunniebgi!

I don't suppose you know how long it takes to get a passport renewed in town these days? The official website says 2 weeks. Is this accurate?

As far as I can tell, I cannot renew the passport in Barbados without an ID card, so it looks like a long trip may be needed. Is there any particular time of year when things move a little more slowly in the passport department, so that I can avoid that at all costs?

You help is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Macacque1

Sunniebgi Aug 11th 2013 3:37 pm

Not sure how long it takes for the passport.. but I'd say 2 to 3 weeks.. when do you plan to come?? and I'd say.. not December.. and not mid summer.. like June/July.. Any other time should be fine..

Originally Posted by Macacque1 (Post 10845425)
Thanks so much, Sunniebgi!

I don't suppose you know how long it takes to get a passport renewed in town these days? The official website says 2 weeks. Is this accurate?

As far as I can tell, I cannot renew the passport in Barbados without an ID card, so it looks like a long trip may be needed. Is there any particular time of year when things move a little more slowly in the passport department, so that I can avoid that at all costs?

You help is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Macacque1

Guapa Aug 15th 2013 9:29 am

Last time my wife and I got our passports done we did it from here in the UK without ID cards.Took about two weeks.

Macacque1 Aug 19th 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks, Sunniebgi and Guapa!

I am going to give the Electoral and Boundaries office a call and see what they have to say. I had no idea (lol) what the authority was called, so, again, a big thank you to Sunniebgi!

Guapa, I saw somewhere on the net, in a couple of places, possibly also including an official website, that it can take anywhere between 3 weeks to 6 months to get a BDS passport via the High Comm in London method. It's reassuring to read that yours took 2 weeks-ish.

Has anyone else had a recent passport issuance via the HC in London, and, if so, how long did it take? All responses appreciated!

Cheers!

Macacque1