Barbados - Help Please!

Old Sep 10th 2006, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road
Default Barbados - Help Please!

Hi
We (husband and two kids age 2 and 5) are thinking of moving to Barbados next year but I'm having trouble finding information on exactly what life is like for expats living there.

My husband is a commercial diver who works around the world, so job wise, he will continue to do the same thing as it doesn't matter where he's based. I am a freelance journalist so also pretty flexible - the internet means its easy!

i'd love to know more about how easy it is to integrate, the standard and cost of living, lifestyle, schools & nurseries etc. Oh and shopping of course! Also which areas are recommended to live. Any info, websites, personal experience etc. would be welcome.

I've lived in a few places around the world so moving isn't the issue, its more about finding out about the 'real' Barbados.

Please help!

Thanks, briony
Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:29 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Barbados - Help Please!

Originally Posted by brionyj
Hi
We (husband and two kids age 2 and 5) are thinking of moving to Barbados next year but I'm having trouble finding information on exactly what life is like for expats living there.

My husband is a commercial diver who works around the world, so job wise, he will continue to do the same thing as it doesn't matter where he's based. I am a freelance journalist so also pretty flexible - the internet means its easy!

i'd love to know more about how easy it is to integrate, the standard and cost of living, lifestyle, schools & nurseries etc. Oh and shopping of course! Also which areas are recommended to live. Any info, websites, personal experience etc. would be welcome.

I've lived in a few places around the world so moving isn't the issue, its more about finding out about the 'real' Barbados.

Please help!

Thanks, briony
if you read the previous posts in the "rest of the world" forum you'll find all you've asked for -
schools
areas to live
shopping
lifestyle
cost of living
property rentals.

Barbados is VERY expatriate so if you want somewhere you can fit in easily - this is it!
Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:36 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are planning to move to Oz next year and all was going well till some Aussie colleagues of my husband's told him some tax horror stories.

he is a commercial diver who works off shore around the world and will continue to do so after we move. However, we've been told that unless he spends around 190 days out of the country every year, he will pay 50% tax. he will also then be unable to become a perm resident.

If anyone else work in this industry, I'd love to hear from them or an accountant who knows if there is any other way round this?

Please help!!

Briony

just saw this in the Oz forum - and you posted both today, I am confused
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by islandmom
Hi,

We are planning to move to Oz next year and all was going well till some Aussie colleagues of my husband's told him some tax horror stories.

he is a commercial diver who works off shore around the world and will continue to do so after we move. However, we've been told that unless he spends around 190 days out of the country every year, he will pay 50% tax. he will also then be unable to become a perm resident.

If anyone else work in this industry, I'd love to hear from them or an accountant who knows if there is any other way round this?

Please help!!

Briony

just saw this in the Oz forum - and you posted both today, I am confused

We have plans in place to move to Oz but because of the question of tax, we are noow considering other places. My husband has always been more keen on the caribbean, so we'll see.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

MichaelSaun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brionyj
Hi

Please help!

Thanks, briony
Briony,

I now have a big portfolio thanks to the kindness of the people on this page. Do you have all you need?
Old Sep 15th 2006, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MichaelSaun
Briony,

I now have a big portfolio thanks to the kindness of the people on this page. Do you have all you need?
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have browsed through other people's messages but still feel in need of more info so any you have would be welcomed thanks!

I'd still like to contact any other british mums who've made the move with young kids to get the nitty gritty on settling, schools, integrating etc. I suppose I'm used to the Aussie forum which is so much bigger because of the huge numbers who emmigrate there.

Briony