British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   barbados health care questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/barbados-health-care-questions-927688/)

adrian2019 Sep 4th 2019 6:02 pm

barbados health care questions

Just a few quick questions regarding healthcare in Barbados if I could.
My wife and I are thinking of rellocating to Barbados now we have retired and are currently researching the health care issues.
We have been in touch with Brokers re the insurance side.
The questions we have are.
What is the cost of a visit to the docter?
What is the cost of a prescription at the pharmacy? is it per item or per prescription?
We are both on medication .
Thank you in advance

Happyowner Sep 5th 2019 5:14 pm

Re: barbados health care questions

What exactly are your intentions ? You cannot just decide to live in Barbados unless one of you is Bajan, or Bajan by descent .
To relocate to Barbados as a foreign National, you have to apply, and if granted , pay for a " Retirement Special Stay Visa " This may be granted if you own a property worth over $150,000 US , have proof of the Income you intend to live on, and have Health Insurance of up to a certain amount, among other things
. If you are 60 you can apply for it for life, any younger, you apply and pay every 5 years until you are 60 . Otherwise you can only stay in Barbados for a maximum of 6 months per year . Whether you get the full 6 months at one time, is up to the Immigration Officer at the Airport. If he /she only grants you 3 months, you then have to go to Immigration and pay to extend your visa to stay another 3 months ( $100 last I heard )_

A Doctor usually charges around $100 per visit and if you have a house and join BARP ( Barbados Association of Retired Persons ) you get a discount off medicines.

Good luck, it's worth it if you can do it.

adrian2019 Sep 5th 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Yes we are looking at the Retirement Special Stay Visa which we have talked to the immigration chaps about.
however, as with anything a bit of research is better than going in blind and can help make things easier if
you know about them before hand.
So we are doing the health research now so that we can better make a decision.
Forewarned is forearmed.

Happyowner Sep 5th 2019 7:30 pm

Really, it all hinges on whether you have a home here ? You cannot apply for the Special Stay if you are renting. A lot depends on whether they believe you are committed support and stay in Barbados.

As for Health Insurance, you can have it from your home country or in Barbados as long as they think it's enough.

julesdoopydoo Sep 5th 2019 9:12 pm

Hi, we re-located 2 years ago, our circumstances seem similar to yours. Our Dr charges $60 per visit, although I think this is the cheaper end of the spectrum. We live in St Philip. Pharmacy charges are per item, I can give you more details in a private message, as hubby has regular medication for blood pressure etc. Also the cost of the medical insurance. Barp membership is good for many discounts, We always get our money's worth.

Please contact me if we can help with any other questions - BTW ex UK residents!

Julie

adrian2019 Sep 10th 2019 6:09 pm

Many thanks for the replies.Have been away hence lae in answering.