British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Barbados Citizenship by decent - advice please?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/barbados-citizenship-decent-advice-please-851399/)

chelsea89 Jan 24th 2015 2:34 pm

Barbados Citizenship by decent - advice please??

Hi All!

I am hoping that someone could advise me if I would be able to apply for citizenship of Barbados by decent?

My grandfather is Bajan by birth. He fathered my father while he was deployed to the UK serving in the armed forces. My father was therefore born in the UK and to a british mother.

I was born in the UK - I have read in places that my father would automatically be granted citienship as he's father is Bajan by birth and he was born while my grandfather was in service here in the UK.

Does this mean that as my father would be classed as a citizen then I would also be able to apply for citizenship by decent?

I hope the above makes sense! Any advice would be greatly appreciated I seem to be going in circles reading all different things!

Regards,

Chelsea

Jerseygirl Jan 24th 2015 6:22 pm

Re: Barbados Citizenship by decent - advice please??

Welcome to BE Chelsea.

I've moved your thread over to the Barbados forum. You are more likely to get answers to your questions about citizenship in there. Good luck. :fingerscrossed:

chelsea89 Jan 24th 2015 7:06 pm

Thank you :)

Sunniebgi Jan 25th 2015 1:35 am

Under normal circumstances, your father could apply for Citizenship by decent but it then would not go down to you to do the same. in your case, this may be a bit different as he was born while your grandfather was serving in the armed forces.. but.. this would have been for the UK, rather than Barbados (but obviously while still under UK and not Barbados as an independent country.)..

Is your father still alive.?? I'd highly recommend that he ask this question, even start the process with the Barbados Embassy in the UK..

chelsea89 Jan 25th 2015 1:42 pm

Hi Sunniebgi,

Thank you for your reply :) Yes my father is still alive in the UK as is my grandfather although for one reason and another we haven't seen each other for many years.

My father was born in wedlock while my grandfather was still serving in the forces so hopefully I would be able to apply for citizenship as some mitigating circumstances.

I have spoken to my father and we will call the embassy in the morning to see if we can get some detailed information relating to our individual circumstances.

I will post an update also with the embassys response...thanks again!

Chelsea :)

Sunniebgi Jan 26th 2015 2:14 am

sounds good. I'll keep my fingers crossed. The biggest thing will be having papers, that show that what took place etc.. and hopefully finding someone who can help...

jomberee Feb 10th 2015 2:58 am

I was born in England and kept visiting Barbados. Once I needed an extension to my planned stay, went to the Imigration office and they told me I was eligible for Barbados Citizen by decent through my parents. They gave me the paper work, filled it out, had to submit passport photos etc. I now have dual citizenship.
There is a fee At the time I think BD$ 300. I have not applied for my passport yet. I do have the citenship certificate.

Serendipidy Feb 10th 2015 5:12 pm

Wow Jomboree

Seems you got lucky with who you were speaking to at Immigration if they wer e that helpful

satellite_ian Feb 11th 2015 5:22 pm

I have to say.. I was in immigration yesterday (time to renew my R&W).. and things seem a lot less stressful in there right now..

Not sure if that is a major sea change... or just yesterday...but we live in hope...

Sunniebgi Feb 11th 2015 5:26 pm

I actually think the citizenship by decent is a fairly easy process once you have the correct documents. but I could be wrong.. and it would be great if the staff are getting better.. it would be great.. wouldn't it..