Barbados Citizenship

Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

ajala is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Barbados Citizenship

also check out the Barbados immigration site.. maybe you can get the answer from there.. just google it...may help
Old Jul 17th 2013, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Ant1962 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ajala
I don't think your parents marital status really matters.. Just as long as they are both born Bajans
The good news is that the BHC has emailed me and confirmed that as long as both parents are Bajan whether or not they were married will not affect my application.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Now as a newbie I am hoping that I am following all the rules in terms of where I post.

Thanks for all of your help thus far. Now I have another issue. My mothers birth certificate has a spelling mistake in her name and I imagine all documentation submitted must be exactly the same. Does anyone know how I can have the error corrected from distance. I do have an original copy of her birth certificate.

Anthony
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:13 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow a reply to an email thats a first on here lol...im guessing it was the london office tho...I cant really help with your question other than to say when you say there is a spelling mistake on her birth certificate does that not mean that legally that is the name and any other documentation is classed as "known as"...again appears to me the same email address is the only one that can answer that question as its probably too specific for everyday posters on here..you may get lucky and find someone who previously had that experience but i think anything related to unique immigration questions is best answered by the powers that be...
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:16 am
Just Joined

britjax is an unknown quantity at this point

Spelling mistakes cannot be corrected. I had the problem with variant spellings of both parents' names on their birth certificates, their marriage certificate and my birth certificate. You will need to go to a Justice of the Peace and have them certify the documents that the person on the birth certificate and the person on your birth certificate are one and the same. This can cost up to 200 BDS, but it is very easy in fact the Justice of the Peace I used drew up a document to include all of my siblings so that if at anytime they wish to apply for citizenship by descent this paperwork is already done.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi your post is a great help thank you. Do you think it is at all possible to certify the documents without me having to fly to Barbados? If you still have the contact details for the JP that you used could you let me have them otherwise I will just google and take a chance.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:50 am
Just Joined

roses31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ant1962, my husband is also UK born and has acquired barbadian citizenship by descent and Both his parents were not barbarian. His mom was a barbarian by birth. He applied for this at barbados high commission in London. Hope this helps..
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:54 am
Just Joined

roses31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ant1962, sorry didn't realised that you already got a reply from bhc.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Hi Roses31 don't apologise your post is really useful. How long did the process take for your husband? I was actually under the impression that my application would need to made in Barbados but I now understand that it can be submitted at any BHC.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

britjax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ant1962
Hi your post is a great help thank you. Do you think it is at all possible to certify the documents without me having to fly to Barbados? If you still have the contact details for the JP that you used could you let me have them otherwise I will just google and take a chance.
Ant1962 As you will need to submit all documents to the JP, who will then provide you with an Affidavit certifying your mother's identity for proof of Descendant, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to let them out of your hands. I'm currently off the island but I will get the address of the JP if you can wait about 2 weeks.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

britjax that would be really helpful. Not quite sure how I am going to do it whilst not in the country as i don't really want to be sending original documents half way across the world. Let's hope technology has reached them so that I can use email.
Thanks for your help
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

MrsBrooks2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

@ANT1962...You may already have the answer since your last post was in August and I'm new to this forum. I obtained my citizenship by descent 2010 on the basis of my father. I made the application here in UK also had the problem regarding my dads name on my birth certificate differing slightly from that on his birth certificate. I got a affidavit drafted confirming that they were the same person which my dad then had sworn by a solicitor. I made my application in February 2010 and when I went there on holiday in December 2010 I went to the immigration office to check on the progress of my application. Discovered that they hadn't taken it out of the drawer but immigration officer did process there and then and I picked up my citizen certificate a week later so all in all it took me less than a year to get mine. Sorry for the long post hope it all goes well.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

MrsBrooks2013 - Thanks for your reply based on other posts on this site you did extremely well getting your citizenship completed in 12 months. I really hope that myself and others have your good fortune. Hope that you are enjoying Barbados.

Best wishes

Anthony