British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Barbados accommodation - torn between two options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/barbados-accommodation-torn-between-two-options-934479/)

joboy50 Aug 22nd 2020 5:28 pm

Barbados accommodation - torn between two options

Hi there

I am going to Barbados for one month with my partner and we are torn between booking one of two properties:

This one is near Bridgetown
This is one is near Speightstown

We like the first because it's near Bridgetown where I guess there's a lot happening, but the second is right near a beach. We kind of want it all: the beach and the restaurant/bar scene but we're not sure which one gives us the best balance. Is Speightstown pretty lively? Are there good transport links to Bridgetown from there?

Any advice from people living in Barbados would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

uk_grenada Aug 22nd 2020 8:21 pm

Re: Barbados accommodation - torn between two options

Originally Posted by joboy50 (Post 12900578)
Hi there

I am going to Barbados for one month with my partner and we are torn between booking one of two properties:

This one is near Bridgetown
This is one is near Speightstown

We like the first because it's near Bridgetown where I guess there's a lot happening, but the second is right near a beach. We kind of want it all: the beach and the restaurant/bar scene but we're not sure which one gives us the best balance. Is Speightstown pretty lively? Are there good transport links to Bridgetown from there?

Any advice from people living in Barbados would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

You are going on holiday, try trip advisor... This is an expats forum.

Serendipidy Aug 23rd 2020 10:47 am

Hi Jobo - welcome to the forum

I am not in Barbados anymore (lived there for 5 years) so someone else can confirm what I am going to say is still true. The write ups about Paddocks shows it is not in the "dodgy side of the Garrison".If it is where i think it is you not going to have much going on around you and may need a car. It is south coast/town but 10 min taxi to St Lawrence Gap - the nightlife

I prefer the sounds of the Speightstown one if you want to go out and about which might be a bit of an issue right now with Covid on the rampage i am not sure if everything is open as usual.

Speightstown has buses to everywhere and is on the west coast where a lot of couples tend to go and has a different kind of nightlife ie more grown up lol. Bridgetown is like saying London to be honest during the day the shops etc are open but at night not much happens in what is classed as bridgetown

By the way there is no such thing as a private beach in Barbados unless that has changed since i lived there - I noticed a comment about it being opposite a private beach on the St Peters one.

Hope this info helps but open to others disagreeing with me - DIPS

Sunniebgi Aug 24th 2020 12:47 am

Ok.. my two cents and I do live here..

Paddock Road is definitely local but I'm not sure you want to be that local. to get anywhere, you have to walk or take a bus . and walking after dark is NOT recommended, unless it's from your car to the house.. Now.. having said that. I'm just looking out for you and not saying it's as "dangerous as all that". however. your vacation shouldn't be spent worrying about being back at your place to stay before the sun goes down. Also BRIDGETOWN is NOT where the action is. it's a city, with businesses and shops.. but no real restaurants, especially now.. .

The on on St.James is close but still not walk-able to Speightstown . the beach at Cobblers is nice... and Mullins as well.. small but nice.

The prices quoted are cheap.. less than 100bbd per night. and I'm sorry.. I'd spend a little more and be on the south coast or in St. Lawrence Gap proper, or in Holetown and not Speightstown.

if it's these 2 or nothing. The St. James one.. and plan to use the bus to go to Holetown for your nightlife and eating..