British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Banking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/banking-618042/)

elkia Jul 3rd 2009 4:10 am

Banking

Hello All,

I'm looking to open a new bank account here in Barbados. Any suggestions on which is the better option for your experiences? who has free internet banking, free checking accounts, better fee's, ect..

Thanks,

Elkia

hotchick21 Jul 3rd 2009 10:46 am

Re: Banking

Originally Posted by elkia (Post 7718910)
Hello All,

I'm looking to open a new bank account here in Barbados. Any suggestions on which is the better option for your experiences? who has free internet banking, free checking accounts, better fee's, ect..

Thanks,

Elkia

Hi Good Morning,

Yes I would like some too!

I came across this site a couple of days ago, so I'm a newby :)

Been banking with the BNB for a good number of years- I usually send a cheque over approximately 5/6 times a year as currently reside in the UK. My only issue is since been with them I've never received any interest on this account, plus I've never had any withdrawals ( very odd)

expat_wannabe07 Jul 3rd 2009 12:24 pm

I bank with Royal Bank of Canada in the Gap, by the Ship Inn. Have always found them to be absolutely fine, and very professional. It's a small branch, and not nearly as busy as some other banks.

They have another "office" further down the Gap, towards Scotties & the Gap Bar (but on the other side of the road). You need to go there for opening new accounts.....and it's never busy there.

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 3rd 2009 12:26 pm

We've had some "confusion" with Scotia in the past... but RBC seems to be okay (depending on what you are doing). We use the one in Belleville - for our business accounts.

yellowsunset Jul 3rd 2009 1:04 pm

First Caribbean International Bank - part of CIBC. Not sure you will find any free banking here though, unlike the UK.

Serendipidy Jul 3rd 2009 2:06 pm

There is no online banking here in Barbados at present although it is envisaged fo rthe next few years - carnage expected lol

There is no free banking to my knowledge they charge you for anything - to be honest i would recommend you go to a bank that is physically convenient for you cos they all much of a muchness although when i had to open up a business account I found the most professional to be RBTT

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 3rd 2009 2:09 pm

Are you sure? Scotia has online banking...

Serendipidy Jul 3rd 2009 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 7720493)
Are you sure? Scotia has online banking...

In Barbados? Ok lol never knew that but then i aint a client - just i talk to the banks and they say they planning it this year - will have to investigate Scotia more closely then cos could really do with that

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 3rd 2009 2:43 pm

Haha, I know, it was a surprise to us, too. We pay our bills online :D

expat_wannabe07 Jul 3rd 2009 3:31 pm

RBC has online banking - i pay all my bills online too.

It's a bit limited, you can only pay Light & Power, Water Auth, CBC, & Lime, and you can only transfer funds online to another RBC account holder. But it's a start!

bamiskados Aug 6th 2009 8:15 pm

Hi,
I am new here and currently living abroad, but i have an account with First Caribbean and they do online banking.

Sunniebgi Aug 6th 2009 10:53 pm

First Caribbean has online banking, although I don't use it. I also don't like going into any bank, so I try to use the ATM services mostly. They pretty much charge for everything.. you pay for checks plus stamp duties, plus service fees if you don't keep so much in your account, plus even if you keep so much in your account you can only make 2 withdrawals and 2 deposits free per month.. and the list goes on and on and on... and they charge you service fees on your savings account if it drops below a certain amount cause, you know, it's supposed to be a savings account, but you can't save anything if they keep nickle and dimeing you to death.......

husband moved from FCB to Scotia a few years ago.. was ok, until recently when we had a problem with a credit card and the manager of the branch seem fairly clueless about what to do.. I'm not a banker, but I knew what they should have done.....

stepping down of my soapbox now.....

bamiskados Aug 7th 2009 8:39 am

yeah, i agree with you, i opened the account a while ago because at that time it was the best deal for the purpose i needed it for. however since last year they have made so much changes it is not worth having an account there anymore.
i am in barbados this winter and the first thing i will do is open a different account, it was only a reply on the the online banking statement.

hotchick21 Aug 7th 2009 10:12 am

Hi All,

I have an off shore savings account with "The Barbados National Bank" been banking with them for over 20 years, my issue is I have never received any interest within this account nor have I ever made any withdrawals.
I have contacted them about this issue in the past - but to no avail...

I will be back over to Barbados late September & plan to hold a meeting to discuss this futher... I find it so very strange a savings account which doesn't pay interest

Has anyone had the same problem?

Sandy x

Sunniebgi Aug 8th 2009 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by hotchick21 (Post 7821066)
Hi All,

I have an off shore savings account with "The Barbados National Bank" been banking with them for over 20 years, my issue is I have never received any interest within this account nor have I ever made any withdrawals.
I have contacted them about this issue in the past - but to no avail...

I will be back over to Barbados late September & plan to hold a meeting to discuss this futher... I find it so very strange a savings account which doesn't pay interest

Has anyone had the same problem?

Sandy x

OK.. sooo you have had a savings account with them for 20 years.. you haven't made withdrawels.. have you made deposits??? is the account still valid. Every year the banks put in a list of "dead or Dormant" accounts.. name and the amount and the branch. Are you sure yours isn't listed in all that??? I've seen many over the years with money in the thousands (and I mean 10's of and even once or twice 100's of) .. just sitting there... I'd be very very wary of that situation.. unless it was the type of account you opened and just didn't realize... Good luck with that.