Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Bajan Dad, can I get residency or citizenship?

Bajan Dad, can I get residency or citizenship?

Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

bajanbeauty is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Bajan Dad, can I get residency or citizenship?

Hi,

My Dad was born in BBs, though he left over 50 years ago. Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for citizenship for myself, husband and children? as we think BBs is an amazing country! His (my Dad's) bajan passport expired approximately 4 years ago. I have read many of the threads on this site and found them to be very informative, but if anyone can give me any additional information I would be grateful! I have also heard mention of CARICOM and not sure if this applies to my situation.

Many Thanks Carla
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bajan Dad, can I get residency or citizenship?

Hi there,

As your dad is Bajan you should be able to apply for citizenship, your husband would then have to apply seperately for citizenship via marriage once you received yours, same for your children.

There is some info on here http://www.barbados.gov.bb/bdsconst_chpt2.htm

HTH

Sue
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your prompt reply, and that is exactly what I was hoping to hear! We will be coming over on the 25th October for a week, (yay!!) and will look further into it.

Thanks again, kind regards Carla
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Hi, have a great time on your trip over here...how old are your children? I have a 2yo son...shines, and rumswizz as well have young children. Where are you staying?

Stay in touch...as for the citizenship, via descent provided that you have all the documentation it is very easy, via marriage (which is my plight) expect to wait as much as 18mos for processing. It also seems that marital status and number of children, etc. has some impact on the process. My husband filed for me in August 06 and we are now finally being interviewed next Weds. FINALLY!!!

As I am sure you know, and many people on here will tell you, life is much better here than in the UK and the States...especially for the kids. If you want to really work to learn the ins and out things can be really affordable-- if you want convenience, which the Bajan's seem to crave, you will pay big bucks.

Good luck!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi Zanne,

My children are 15, 12 and 4 years old, and are looking forward to moving to Barbados. We are staying at the Sandridge Beach Hotel just south of Speightstown. I agree that life will be better as a family in Barbados, no one promotes family life quite as much as they do! lol.

Good luck at your interview next week, you must be excited to finally see light at the end of the tunnel?

Take care Carla

xx