Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Bajan citizenship by descent -

Bajan citizenship by descent -

Old Jul 15th 2017, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

mark.alexander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bajan citizenship by descent -

Hello people.

Haven't been here for a number of years. Last time I was here was around 4 years ago before I brought mum back to the UK. Brought her back here in Dec 2012 and she passed July 2013.

Question. I have my dual citizenship that she got for me in 84 (thanks mum love you for that).

My older sibling and I are having a debate whether either of your parents still need to be alive in order for you to get citizen by descent. Is this true?

Both my mum and dad have now passed. Will my sibling have to marry a bajan in order to get their dual?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 15th 2017, 8:15 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bajan citizenship by descent -

Interesting question, dont know for Barbados, but hereoones parent [can be just one] is asked to write a simple letter saying they want their children and childrens children to have citizenship, once done, it stands whether they are alive or dead, so long as there isnt a written renounciation submitted, forever. They recently extended it another generation to get more citizens by descent.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 3:25 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it matters.. if they are alive or have passed on.. as long as you have their Barbados Birth Certificate or can obtain one. however.. I'd strongly recommend checking with the Barbados High commission (consulate, embassy, whatever) in London. Guy Hewitt is the main person there...

UK_Grenada.. how have they extended it into another generation.. and can you elaborate on when this was done and any documentation. it's supposed to be only the children of born Barbadians.. thanks.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 7:40 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

It was reported that the govt was making it work for both children and grand children of grenadian citizens by birth last year, but honestly i cant find any new forms, but then this is grenada.... If you are interested/it makes a difference fir you i would suggest you discuss with your local consulate.

The need for the giver to document they want to pass on nationality is a definite requirement here.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 8:03 pm

Theres also another gotcha,only parents or partners born in grenada can pass on rights, so if you acquired citizenship by registration, you cant pass on citizenship, something people have complained about.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 1:54 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

so that doesn't apply to Barbados, regarding the downline, because I don't think they have made that change here. and I'm not sure you lose that option for descent of the parent dies.. i'll check that out.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 12:41 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Like you say Sunnie an interesting question - not one that has come up before
Old Sep 17th 2017, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

invest is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Serendipidy;12299298]Like you say Sunnie an interesting question - not one that has come up before[/QUOTE
Hi, yes you can!
You need everyones certificates, birth's, death's.