Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Aspiring Occupational Therapist

Aspiring Occupational Therapist

Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:08 am
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
JaBritChick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aspiring Occupational Therapist

Greetings everyone!

I am currently a Postgraduate student on an Occupational Therapy degree. I would like to go and live in the Caribbean and I am looking at Barbados. Just wondering really what the job prospects may be like for an allied health professional as I would like to relocate after I have completed my MSc.

I have dual citizenship as a Jamaican and British.
JaBritChick is offline  
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast
Foxy_fromCanada's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Hastings, Barbados
Posts: 696
Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aspiring Occupational Therapist

Don't take my word as the law, but it seems to me there aren't many phyical & occupational therapists here on the island.

I say that, because my physical therapist was telling me there aren't that many. I don't know if that means there is also a demand for them, and therefore a job opportunity for you, however.

You could try making inquiries at carib rehab to see if they have openings. Otherwise, you may want to get in touch with an Immigration lawyer to see if they think it's likely that you'd get a work permit to open your own clinic.

Good luck,
Foxy_fromCanada is offline  
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 77
grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aspiring Occupational Therapist

With a degree and Jamaican citizenship you may be able to apply for the Caricom Skilled workers permit. I think they only recognise certain universities - you'll need a lawyer here to check it out. There are also some issues with practising medicine here if your qualification was obtained abroad (similar to issues as a foreign lawyer) - again get a lawyer to advise you.

Good luck.
grassisgreener is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.