Approved!

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Approved!

Hi Everyone,

I just found out my work permit request has been approved. I have 5 weeks to move down to Barbados. I know I can find answers to most of my questions but I was wondering if you can give me some feedback about your experience with shipping items in a crate from Canada (Toronto)?! i.e. how long does it take and who would you recommend?

Foxy, I know you're a fellow Canadian and I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you had a contact for this? Did you ship a crate down?

Also, wondering what people would recommend in regards to purchasing a car. Are there any online listings for used cars?

All I can think of for now

BeachZomie
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Approved!

Congratulations!!

Wow, we canucks are really getting quite a population here

Sorry Zombie, but I didn't ship anything down here. Can't help you there. Someone probably can, though...

You can check the Nation online for used cars. We got ours from an ad in the paper (hard copy, not online) so people do list there. Definitely go used, unless you have an unlimited car budget They are really expensive here. Put away all your ideas of used car prices when you're shopping, too, because you'll probably pay around double.

I do have a great mechanic here on the south coast in Hastings, if you wanted a mechanic to look at a car you're thinking of buying. He's usually very busy, so you'd have to be prepared for that but I could put you in touch with him.

Re: moving here and finding a place to live. I still stand by my common suggestion to folks to get a short-term rental first, to decide which area they'd like to be in. Less pressure with finding a place to live, especially trying to find a place to live when you're not already here! Let me know if you need any help there.

Good luck! It's an exciting and emotional time.
Foxy
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Try here for car buying... http://caribzoomzoom.com/

Good luck with your move... I would agree, rent somewhere short term before you decide on a place long term, you could do that whilst you are waiting for your stuff to ship maybe?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much Shines. That's a great site! Will use it for sure.

Foxy, please send me the mechanic's contact info when you have a free second. I will definitely use him for some assistance. Hopefully I can find him at the right time.

I'm looking to rent for a while and will likely be somewhere in the north. Near the lakes community. I really liked the area when I was there in December because it seemed to be very nice and quiet.

Any other info you can provide would be very helpful. I think I'm most nervous about shipping a crate.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Do you mean up near Mile & a Quarter?

Have you looked on here http://www.cariblist.com/ you can search via Parish and price...

HTH...
Old Jun 26th 2009, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

I have 2 more questions:

Anyone bring their cell phone down from Canada? I'm wondering if I should buy one here and bring it down or buy from Barbados.

Has anyone had experience shipping a crate over? Im wondering if it's ok for me to put in some Tide, Toilet paper and other household items...haven't researched it yet
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Your Canadian phone might need to be unlocked in order to work here with a Bim sim card. Some do, some don't and it's hard to tell.

I've got one that I brought from T.O. and nobody can unlock it... even the real techie guys. So, I have 2 phones. I don't mind, though... keeps me from losing sim cards, LOL!

Forgot to mention... Pay as you go (it's called Prepaid here) here is super cheap compared to at home. So, the cost of a phone here might be a bit high, but the rate is really good.

Last edited by Foxy_fromCanada; Jun 26th 2009 at 5:05 pm. Reason: added PYG info
Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Concerning cellphones, GSM phones in Bim work on 1800 MHZ spectrum. Most newer GSM phones are compatible with Barbados.

What kind of phone are you looking to unlock Foxy?
The thing with unlocking is, if you put in the wrong code 3 times, it locks the phone forever to the network the phone was purchased on. It's better to buy unlocked off island or have it unlocked by your Canadian carrier. Phones also are about double what you'd pay in North America if you are like me and like tons of gadgets.

I find Digicel has better rates than Lime

A cousin of mine in Bim bought the dual-sim iPhone clone in Bim for $200BBD! Works greats, plus TV, missed out on that one
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Well since you put it that way, I think I'll be looking to buy one Iphone (I love gadgets as well) and a regular straight-forward cell for my wife. Would rather purchase from Canada. they're already expensive enough before paying double..lol

Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Oh and I also just found out you cant bring any type of liquid cleaning agents (Dish washing soap, Laundry detergent etc) when you ship your stuff down.

Looks like I have to give the three big jugs of laundry detergent I just purchased to my brother..

Zombie
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Nothing flammable, or potentially flammable is the rule I think...that stuff really isn't that expensive here anyway-- it just depends on where you shop.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zombie - computers are duty-free, FYI. Not peripherals, but computers, so don't worry about that, too.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. My computer is definitely coming with me

Are there any other items you might recommend I bring which prove to be cost savers? i.e. paper towels or toilet paper? I might as well take advantage of the fact that I'm shipping stuff so I'm trying to save some money in the process.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hm, those things aren't too bad here... but I suppose it wouldn't hurt if you had the room. I have no idea if they'd charge you duty on new things, though. Not really sure how that works.

If I think of anything, I'll let you know. Maybe the rest of the group has some ideas, too.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

I asked if I could bring some people (friends) in the crate but the shipping consultant didnt find it funny Maybe the rain in Toronto is getting to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.