Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship through marriage to a Bajan

Applying for Citizenship through marriage to a Bajan

Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

brownes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Citizenship through marriage to a Bajan

Hi All..

Wondering if anybody can help me on yet another Barbados Immigration question! I am a UK citizen due to marry my bajan fiance in Barbados in October, I plan on living in Barbados with him and I am fully aware that the whole process will probably take many years... I have the application form for citizenship from Immigration but it only asks for a few things, like the fee, birth certs and marriage cert etc. Meanwhile I was under the impression that I would need to supply a whole lot more information to them like police records, medical reports etc. Does anyone out there know what the application will actually need? I can't get any straight answers from Immigration!! and having had previous headaches with them regarding my extensions I really dont want them to reject my application and create us yet another nightmare....

Any info will be very much appreciated .. Thank U
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship through marriage to a Bajan

All you will need is your birth cert, your spouses birth cert, your marriage cert and the fee. You don't need any medical forms etc. for this type of application. It is quite straight forward..... When you get the application form they will give you a list of requirements anyway..... But as I said, it's not too complicated.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, you have put my mind at rest. It just seemed far to easy for something to do with Immigration in Barbados!!!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied in Nov last year, and only needed the info you mentioned. I was advised they will not look at the application until we have been married for 2 yrs and from then it can take 1-3 yrs depnding on back log.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Yeh, I know it can take a really long time!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:54 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brownes and Welcome to the Forum

Just a quick note - whereas visitor renewals and work permits etc are at the discretion of the immigration department - it is my understanding that in Barbados citizenship by marriage is your right unless they can prove that it is a marriage of convenience - and doubt wether they could be bothered! Just wanted to say that after your comment about dont want them turning you down. They would have to have a very good reason to do that whereas the work permit stuff they dont have to justify declining.

Has anyone ever heard of a citizenship by marriage not being approved??

I know that Bajans who married English peeps have to dance through hoops to be allowed a UK spousal visa and then apply for UK citizenship after a period but its not the same in Barbados.