Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Anyone with young children...

Anyone with young children...

Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone with young children...

...fancy meeting up in Barbados?

I have been here 3 weeks now and need to get some sort of social life sorted out. I have a little girl, Bella, who is nearly 3.

We are in St Lucy but have a car and are willing to travel

If you are interested please get in touch!

Sue x
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone with young children...

Originally Posted by shines

I have been here 3 weeks now and need to get some sort of social life sorted out. I have a little girl, Bella, who is nearly 3.

Sue x
We'll be there soon! hang on.

Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Sue x
Have you read the invite for Belinda's party yet??
It's on one of the other threads but don't know exactly wich one
Good luck and take care
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rumswizz
We'll be there soon! hang on.

Maybe a strange question....But are you a man or a woman It's hard to guess from your name or personal profile
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

mizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sue x
hi sue

there in a few weeks, 2 kids older than yours, but age amongst kids doesnt really matter as the older ones 'nanny' the toddler and can be responsible. hubby with us for a while for 'quality time' (hate that expression!) then with kids. so if YOU want some adult conversation/tcompany (as trutje said i am assuming female!) PM me.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mizzy
hi sue

there in a few weeks, 2 kids older than yours, but age amongst kids doesnt really matter as the older ones 'nanny' the toddler and can be responsible. hubby with us for a while for 'quality time' (hate that expression!) then with kids. so if YOU want some adult conversation/tcompany (as trutje said i am assuming female!) PM me.
You being female I had no doubts about, Mizzy just cries out female But with Rumswizz I'm really not sure Do you know?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trutje
You being female I had no doubts about, Mizzy just cries out female But with Rumswizz I'm really not sure Do you know?
Hey I'm a Momma too! (Don't give me a gender complex......!Only kidding )

Maybe that's why I don't get replies!!!

Have a good one

RS
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rumswizz
Hey I'm a Momma too! (Don't give me a gender complex......!Only kidding )

Maybe that's why I don't get replies!!!

Have a good one

RS

Thanks for your reply! Not that it matters what gender you are but I like to know
Might says something about me
Take Care, RS
Old Jul 14th 2007, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Emma Hoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

I have just returned (yesterday in fact) from a week in Barbados. My husband and I went out to have a look at the place and to check out schools, houses etc. We think we will be definitely coming out but probably not till Sept. I have two children - one is nearly 4 and the other is 18 months. I am pregnant with the third and planning to have it at the Bayview end of December! Would def be interested in meeting up - you will already be fairly settled by then so maybe I could pick your brains about things??

Cheers

Emma
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Emma Hoyle
Hi Sue,

I have just returned (yesterday in fact) from a week in Barbados. My husband and I went out to have a look at the place and to check out schools, houses etc. We think we will be definitely coming out but probably not till Sept. I have two children - one is nearly 4 and the other is 18 months. I am pregnant with the third and planning to have it at the Bayview end of December! Would def be interested in meeting up - you will already be fairly settled by then so maybe I could pick your brains about things??

Cheers

Emma

Hi Emma,

I am pregnant too and mine is due on 1st November, also will be attending Bayview!

We must meet up when you get here and we can be bump buddies...

Bella would love some playmates, she will be starting school in September but there are always late afternons and weekends...

Fell free to message me! The more friends the merrier....

Sue x
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Emma Hoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds great - I will be able to get all the details from you about childbirth in Barbados! Have to say I'm a little nervous about the move because I am pregnant - not because of the standard of healthcare, just the being in a new (very hot) country, heavily pregnant with two other children to take care of and none of my normal support network (i.e my Mum!).

By the way - which school did you manage to get Bella into? I had a quick visit round them last week (although they were all closed for the hols) and I was told that they all have very long waiting lists for this years entry and next! Alfie will be 4 at the end of September so wouldn't be going to school here until Sept 2008 but I was hoping at the very least to get him into a pre school ASAP. I was also hoping to be able to send my younger son Ted in January when he'll be 2 to the same school to give me a bit of a break with my new baby (due 4th Jan!). If you hear of any great pre-schools please let me know.

I will certainly be up for meeting up - prob be out there end of Sept all being well!

X

PS) Which Gyne have you gone for?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Which schools did you go to? I am hoping that my son will be admitted to St. Angela's next year, he will be 3. We put in an application about 4 months ago.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

By the way - which school did you manage to get Bella into? If you hear of any great pre-schools please let me know.

I will certainly be up for meeting up - prob be out there end of Sept all being well!

X

PS) Which Gyne have you gone for?[/QUOTE]

Hiya Emma,

Bella will be going to Leacocks private school, some say it is tough on discipline but in my view that is a good thing. My (new) niece has just finished there, she came to Barbados 3 yrs ago from Venezuela knowing no English and has just passed the 11+. the class sizes are only 12 or so and they seem to get good results. Plus it is 10 mins in the car from St Lucy. They take children into reception from age 3.

I guess it depends where you will be living also how much you want to spend, I can't afford huge school fees as I am not working now but Leacocks is only around $500 BBDOS a term!

As for Gynae, I have been to see Dr Agatha Sheppard-Scholar, she was recommended by a friend of my partner and delivered her children. I saw her last week and she seems really lovely... I like the fact here that you have a doctor all the way through and no annoying midwives who change every visit and seem to have conflicting ideas on everything....

I would say it is worrying making the move and the month before I left I was an emotional/hormonal mess! But now I am here it all seems a million miles away and I am enjoying my new life...

Sue x
Old Jul 17th 2007, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point

I and my young son are thinking of moving to Barbados sometime this fall. The question is where. I want an area that is family friendly yet clean and safe.
Most important I want a place with lots of other families, an easy community where my son can go outside and walk or ride a bike(right now he is too young for that but that wouldn't last long) to visit his friends without having to deal with traffic or a street right outside the door with cars parked all over. I would love a truly car free community, but that is perhaps asking for too much. Still an estate that restricts cars so kids can run around more or less safely would be very desirable. Or even an apartment complex that keeps the cars underground and has some green space around it. And a place with good schools and activities for the kids and and good parent connections in the area. Cost is not a big problem. I would be willing to pay up to 1500 euro or even a little more for a 2 or 3 bedroom house or apartment.
Any suggestions?