Anyone been to Grenada?

Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone been to Grenada?

Hello all,

Has anyone been to Grenada? I'm going next week for the first time and would like to hear your experiences and/or recommendations.

I'll be scuba diving for sure, and possibly going on a trek or two.

Fox
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone been to Grenada?

I have not been to Grenada myself, but my daughter went last month for a friends wedding and spend a week over there
She had an absolut ball, made trips all over the island, went sailing, and according to her it´s a gorgious place, and her pictures sure look like that.

Have A good time.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:59 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Foxy -hop over to Carriacou - its ideallic - my ex inlaws are from there and when i went was so unspoilt

However hope the boat ride is better now i actually arrived green lol
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:52 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Have been there twice.. both times we were toured around by family (husbands brothers wifes sister... did you get that). Lovely island, different than Barbados.. there is a great beach.. long and wide.. Grand Anse?? (am I on the right island).... Drove around St. Georges University (where the family works).. and to the airport. Went through a sugar cane factory tour, not unlike the ones here. Arrived on a cruise ship both times..

By the way.. how do you feel about bringing me back some pure vanilla extract??? not the essence you get here but real vanilla extract.. small plastic 16oz coke bottle size would be wonderful.. if you can get it.. I'll bake you something reeeeaaalllyyy nice with it (is this bribery??)..

let me know. and have a great trip and enjoy the diving.

(I actually have an order in with the same family.. but not sure when she is heading this way to visit)
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Everyone!

Really appreciate your input.

Bamiskados, I might actually take a Hobie Cat sailing lesson. I'm new to sailing and have wanted to try the Hobie Cats.

Dips - thank you my dear! I've heard of the two little islands and hope to see them if possible. If not this time, then another time for sure.

Sunnie, I'll actually be spending lots of time at the Grand Anse (yes, you had it correct) as that's where my friend works. Bribery always works on me, so I'll do my best to bring you back some real vanilla (I know the kind you mean).

My biggest excitement is hopefully seeing my first shark. They have nurse sharks there!

Thanks again everyone, for your tips.
Foxy
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

I have news for you, there are nurse sharks around Barbados, my ex and I used to go spearfishing and we have caught a few in our days. Have to admit, small ones about 2 feet long, but still.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Bamiskados, I knew that we get them here, but it's not very likely that we would see them in Barbados while diving (fishing is another story). So, in just over a year of diving, I still haven't had the luck to see one!

The experts (my two marine biologist friends - don't I travel in fancy circles! *sarcasm*) tell me there are more of them in Grenada, and that they're less wary of us. I hope that's true and I do get to see one!

I'll let you know how I fare Thanks again.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Spearfishing is done either snorkeling or diving, but is is a few years ago, so maybe we caught the last ones
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucky you, then!

My other spearfishing friends also sometimes see them. But, a group of noisy divers usually scares them away. You must be super-stealth
Old Nov 13th 2009, 1:03 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

wow that is a super hero trait - super stealth lol - i cant get to the fridge without being caught lol!!!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Aww Foxy, you lucky duck! Blow some bubbles for me, won't you? It's been too long since I was underwater.

If you pet the nurse sharks gently, they will be your friends.
(how have you not seen a shark yet!?!)
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Will do, Meauxna! Thanks for the tip, too, about petting the nurse sharks. Let's see if I've got my nerve!

I've seen a guy here tickle a moray under the chin. That's nerve, if you ask me - those things can bite!

Ah, all my diving has been in Barbados, so I've been shark-deprived. That is soon to (hopefully) change! I'll be sure to post the highlights of my adventure here

Thanks again everyone, for your help.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
I've seen a guy here tickle a moray under the chin. That's nerve, if you ask me - those things can bite!
I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but sticking your typing fingers in front of a moray's mouth is best left to individuals who know the individual animal (or who don't type ).

I had an interesting experience in Bonaire on a night dive.. as we exited to the beach, something went <shlap> on the ground behind me. It was only a moray who'd taken a hitchhike under my BC!
She slithered back into the water and I was left with a good story.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello all!

Well, I'm back from Grenada, and I had a fantastic time! I highly recommend visiting if you get the chance.

The country is very beautiful with its green hills and nice natural harbours. There is a bit of juxtaposition of old & new, as things have been repaired since Ivan. It's interesting to see.

The scuba diving was fabulous. I finally saw my first shark! yahooo!!!! It was a nurse shark about 2.5 - 3 feet long, a baby one. It was sleeping in a protected area of the reef (Shark Reef, for those who have been).

I trekked up to Seven Sisters waterfalls, and got nice and muddy, haha. It was also beautiful.

And, I sailed a bit. All in all, a great vacation!

Sunnie - I have your pure vanilla. PM me to arrange a pickup time, okay?

Funny story, though. Liat cancelled our flight back to Barbados (surprised? nah). So, they stuck us on the flight that was supposed to go to St. Vincent, which was supposed to be a direct flight from Grenada to St. Vincent. However they changed things and came to Barbados first. Well! There was a total uproar on the plane. I thought there was going to be an in-flight brawl! It was comical, but I'm sure the Liat staff were not amused!

Foxy
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:43 pm

Yay! Welcome home.. glad to hear it's a great destination.. I'm always looking for new places to dream about.