Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Any word in Barbados about this?

Any word in Barbados about this?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any word in Barbados about this?

I guess two Canadian women were attacked? Story seems kind of shady to me.
My first question would be: Why were they "jogging" on the beach at night? People seem to forget common sense when they visit other countries.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rnational/home

Still waiting on my work permit I think I'll be coming down sometime in April/May if all is approved. Anyone selling a car around that time?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any word in Barbados about this?

Hey Zombie! Good to see you again.

I read that story yesterday as well. I have to admit, though, my first reaction was to wonder why they were on an isolated beach alone at night. It's a horrible story. It's my opinion that it could have been avoided if people didn't get "vacation brain" when they go to a new country and mistakenly believe the rules are different. Very unfortunate. I hope the 2 women are okay and that others do not run into the same fate.

Good luck with your work permit. Patience is key, but difficult Let us know when you arrive!

Take care,
Foxy
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

caz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the attack happened at 4.30 in the day, not at night - unbelievable. But apparently this guy has attacked before :curse: Hopefully he'll be caught VERY soon!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Foxy. Will do. I haven't been on in a while because I get too anxious..lol

Caz1 - That's a different story then. Any idea which area/beach this happened at?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by caz1
I believe the attack happened at 4.30 in the day, not at night - unbelievable. But apparently this guy has attacked before :curse: Hopefully he'll be caught VERY soon!
That is terrible. I hope they catch him, too.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:59 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

it is the one and the same incident, which means that someones story isn't correct. The article in the paper here (Barbados) says it happened around 4:30pm.

Long Beach is an isolated stretch of beach where, unfortunately, this seems to happen.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think he meant it figuratively.

Long Beach is indeed an isolated area. I guess the women didn't realize it, being visitors.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:16 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm is it only me who dont understand why one of the women who is in a serious condition is in a canadian hospital? If you are that serious would you be allowed to fly home to get treatment?

I too had this very debate with a friends cousin My friend was not amused when asked by her cousin is Barbados safe and my response was NO! My friend said why are you trying to scare her - now in my opinon it aint scaring its facing facts - no where is safe nowadays and there is a rise in crime against tourists at present as a gf of mine was told by minsitry of tourism after being mugged.

Now in my opinon Barbados is safer than many other caribbean countries but with the decrease in available finances is going to mean an increase in crime for easy money and guess who is perceived to be those worth robbing - white females as we likely to be tourists so in my opinon we should be increasing our safety awareness as tourism goes thru difficult times not hiding it away in case it ruins someones perception of Barbados

Stepping down from soap box now ummmm ererrr lol

Dipidy
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:23 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have to agree on the part about the serious condition thing and being back in Canada. Unless she took a life flight (which is entirely possibly) how was she able to be moved if she was that serious.

Barbados is safe, but no 100pct.. it's certainly doesn't touch Jamaica or even St. Lucia in it's crime, but.. one can see how in the near future, with the way things are going all over the world, we are going to have to be even more careful than usual.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sadly, the woman who was beaten has died from her injuries.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Vi...779/story.html

http://barbadosfreepress.wordpress.c...r-schwarzfeld/

Last edited by Foxy_fromCanada; Mar 19th 2009 at 1:45 am.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

It's very sad to hear she passed away; but it didn't look good

I have to concur with the poster who said that it's not a good idea to ever assume that Barbados, or anywhere, is particularly safe. Crime does happen, and tourists can be targeted. It's a sad state, but you still have drug-users, violence offenders, and the like out there looking for easy prey.

It's terrible she and her family had to endure this. I hope the person is caught and brought to justice. And even then, you've got to be extra careful.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

This is definitely sad. It's even worse because the attack happened during the day which "should" be the safest time to be walking around.

It's probably very easy for people to let their guard down if they're on the beach during the day. Just have to remember to be careful wherever you go these days.

A few months ago a man was stabbed to death around 12:50pm in the busy Toronto business district which is very safe during the day. I walked by the same street around 1:20pm on my way to a meeting.

The only thing that does worry me is that the Freepress blog is reporting that local media hasnt covered the death/attack at all? Is that true? Foxy, have you seen anything in the local media?

Zombie
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I must admit I don't keep up with the Nation as well as I should, but I haven't seen anything in there, unfortunately. Most of the info I've gotten has been from Globe & Mail's website, and the Ottawa Citizen website.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:14 pm

Just an FYI, the write up of her death appears on page 5 of Today's (19Mar09) Nation News.

Very sad..
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Very sad news, such an awful thing to have happened.

It has been reported on the radio news today with reports from the Chief of Police and others too. I don't think it has been ignored by the press here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.