British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Any help on moving please we are coming this year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/any-help-moving-please-we-coming-year-799716/)

Burcliff Jun 10th 2013 5:29 pm

Any help on moving please we are coming this year

Hi all, me and my wife are moving to Barbados .been reading all the stuff on here ,been out too Barbados ,my wifes dad is from there ,all the visa stuff is in order ,Melanies going to pick her I'd card up in two weeks looking for some advise on bank accounts and how to do it and shipping ,anything is more than we know thanks all

Serendipidy Jun 10th 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Any help on moving please we are coming this year

Hi Burcliff welcome

I know you said you had been reading some of the forums already but do a search on bank accounts and there is already a lot on here..I remember alot being written recently i think the thread was the relocation to barbados thread but keep looking..I know its labourious but if you read as many threads as you can over the past year im fairly certain you will get answers to questions you have not yet even thought about

My memories are that nothing was easy setting up a bank account but thats the case worldwide now...

Burcliff Jun 10th 2013 9:48 pm

Thank for the reply :-) will we need a barbados address before we can open one

juliedean Jun 11th 2013 5:55 am

Hi Burcliff
Thanks for your response to my question. Sounds like we might be moving out at about the same time. Husband and I keep thinking we've covered all bases and then another question pops up! He woke up shouting 'bank accounts' yesterday morning! I will do as suggested and trawl old posts.
Good luck

LGWBGI Jun 11th 2013 8:49 pm

Just to say I have a bank account in Barbados with a U.K address and I recieve my monthly statements no problem.

kirstyp Jun 12th 2013 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Burcliff (Post 10750202)
Hi all, me and my wife are moving to Barbados .been reading all the stuff on here ,been out too Barbados ,my wifes dad is from there ,all the visa stuff is in order ,Melanies going to pick her I'd card up in two weeks looking for some advise on bank accounts and how to do it and shipping ,anything is more than we know thanks all

Hi, sounds exciting!

re: shipping take a look at the Bournes sub forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=193 - there's lots of info, a few guides and some FAQ's too which I hope will be helpful in starting to get to grips on what you need to get started - please just shout if you've got any specific questions I can help with.

Kirsty :)

Guapa Jun 26th 2013 6:33 pm

LGWBGI how easy was it opening your bank account.Hope to do same some time this year.I've been in touch with First Caribbean and it sounds straight forward but I know better ;)

Burcliff Jun 27th 2013 8:15 am

Hi all just a update got an I'd card but it takes a least 7 day to be ready and first Caribbean opened me an account with my uk adress so everything is going simple thanks everybody for your help will keep you informed :thumbsup:

Burcliff Jun 27th 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Guapa (Post 10774620)
LGWBGI how easy was it opening your bank account.Hope to do same some time this year.I've been in touch with First Caribbean and it sounds straight forward but I know better ;)

Hi no problem with first Caribbean used my uk address all good $50 deposit

LGWBGI Jun 30th 2013 10:26 pm

That's great. I thought you would be ok!
Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and everything will go
smoothly for you.
It's mostly about planning and preparation, just do as much of that as you
possibly can!

Macacque1 Aug 10th 2013 11:39 pm

Hi Burcliff,

Sounds like you are powering smoothly through the necessary stages for a successful landing! I wish I had some constructive input to help you, but I am a little out of the loop as I have been living overseas for some years. However, there seems to be a wealth of information on this forum, so I hope you find what you need.

I would like to ask your advice, as I have a question re the ID card: Did you have to apply for that while physically in Barbados? I notice that you said it would take 7 days. Did this turn out to be correct, or did it take longer? I am looking into acquiring a new ID card and know very little about the process. Also, can you point me in the direction of any online info about Barbados ID cards and the acquisition thereof? I'd be eternally grateful!

Best of luck with your move.

Macaque1

Serendipidy Aug 11th 2013 10:48 am

welcome Mac...im sure others will chip in re the card but if i remember rightly i had to go in person to Bridgetown have my photo taken and then return a week later to pick it up so i would think yes you have to be there in person

Sunniebgi Aug 11th 2013 1:09 pm

http://www.electoral.barbados.gov.bb...fications.html (I'm putting this on both of your questions..)

Macacque1 Aug 11th 2013 3:19 pm

Hi Serendipity and Sunniebgi,

Many thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

Apologies to Burcliff for semi-hijacking his thread.

Hope all continues to go smoothly with the move!

Cheers,

Macacque1