British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Another Newbie. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/another-newbie-755765/)

stevralt Apr 22nd 2012 8:32 am

Another Newbie.

Hi Everyone. I would like to say thanks to everyone for there contributions to this site, I makes for very interesting reading.
My wife and myself have visited Barbados and stayed in oistins a couple of times and rented a car and toured the island viewing properties and getting ideas and prices of houses, we want to buy in approx 2 years,
Two questions really if anyone can help

1/ the 3 month visit rule, is this in the process of getting reviewed?
2/Does anyone know of local to Christ church realty agent and solicitor?

Thanks again .

Serendipidy Apr 22nd 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Another Newbie.

Welcome Stevralt... what 3 months rule are you referring to?

stevralt Apr 22nd 2012 8:24 pm

The length of stay allowed as a visitor, is it only three months as I have read? Sorry for being vague!

Serendipidy Apr 23rd 2012 9:24 am

There is no hard and fast rule if you reread through the posts you will see for a time there was some advice being given by Virgin not to buy 6 month tickets without status.. this is still kind of relevant as no stay is guaranteed to be honest you can get a stay of anything from 1 day to 3 years dependant on your circumstance and on applying for the appropriate visa.. at the airport you could be given anything from 1 week to 3 months typically so its a lottery and then any extensions to your given period will be via an extension process that you do at immigration downtown. Hope this answers your question if not keep asking lol

Sunniebgi Apr 23rd 2012 12:08 pm

the actually first length of stay is 28days, which is stamped in your passport. Unless have a ticket for the 3 months AND then are granted that at the airport. and then all of that does depend on the immigration officer you get when you arrive...

don't get me wrong.. I have known people over the years who come and go and have several months to start off with but.. generally visitors get a 28day stamp.. and that's it..

and I'm not aware (and really wouldn't be as they don't really make those things known until it happens) that anything is changing where that is concerned..

mark.alexander Apr 23rd 2012 5:23 pm

he he he the immigration officer i got in the local line, stamped me for the period that was on my ticket! When I spoke to the immigration about that they said he was wrong for doing so. I am a dual national and the immigration officer should have just stamped me open. That was in March 2011. When I came back here agin in Nov, they stamped me open. Yes it does depend on who you get and how you speak with them etc etc

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 10020855)
the actually first length of stay is 28days, which is stamped in your passport. Unless have a ticket for the 3 months AND then are granted that at the airport. and then all of that does depend on the immigration officer you get when you arrive...

Sunniebgi Apr 24th 2012 3:09 am

Mark, when you arrive in Barbados, what do you show the Immigration officer.. Your Barbados documentations or your other document.

I have always carried a copy of my citzenship papers but recently only show them my Barbados ID, which shows I'm Barbadian but by marriage (if you know what to look for).. I've always been given the Barbados stamp (with no time limit). and my children as well.. US Passports which show born in Barbados.

and funny enough, more times than not, we go to the visitors line.. cause it's shorter and/or moves faster than the resident, citizen Caricom line...

mark.alexander Apr 24th 2012 6:35 am

I only show them my british passport. I think that cos I walked into the local line that I must be more than just a british citizen. I have never been asked to go back to the other line cos they can check on the system for my status. I never have any other documents apart from my UK passport.

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 10022102)
Mark, when you arrive in Barbados, what do you show the Immigration officer.. Your Barbados documentations or your other document.

I have always carried a copy of my citzenship papers but recently only show them my Barbados ID, which shows I'm Barbadian but by marriage (if you know what to look for).. I've always been given the Barbados stamp (with no time limit). and my children as well.. US Passports which show born in Barbados.

and funny enough, more times than not, we go to the visitors line.. cause it's shorter and/or moves faster than the resident, citizen Caricom line...

Sunniebgi Apr 24th 2012 11:10 am

does your british passport say you were born in Barbados?? then the immigration office honestly doesn't know. ok.. they have that computer system, but no clue what's in there. and isn't it better just to have the document in front of them rather than having them hunt and peck through the system??

I have always traveled with my Barbados Documentation on me.. and any Bajan I know with a US or British Passport will tell you they always travel with both.