Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Is it all sunshine and smiles?

Is it all sunshine and smiles?

Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

mizzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it all sunshine and smiles?

Originally Posted by simon-hannah
We will holiday in BB later this year, what time would be best to visit and which sites/experiences are not to be missed?
what a question, are you ready for all the replies, mine and everyone elses.

my family love all the beaches, busy and quiet-particularly love miami/enterprise (has two names) and paynes. however i have an experience of getting caught in freak wave (at miami)and ended standing up with no bikini on - much to the disgust of my children!!. it was a particulary rough day, and our housekeeper gave me a lecture on the 'sea has no back door'. so always listen to the sea!!
then theres the north of the island, what a gem, take a picnic and jsut get lost driving around,
bathsheba -great for watching the surfing doods, and chiling out
graham hall-fantastic tranquil site, in christchurch where you can be at one with nature.
surfers point-surfing lessons for you and the kids, no one to old or young
concorde exhibition for those who did not see or wish to remember the sheer joy of concorde landing at grantly adams.
cool runnings cruises-absolutely fabulous
mount gay rum!!
the list goes on and on and i am sure others will add their 'barbados best'
an island with many pleasures to enjoy
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:13 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trutje
Oooops, very interesting

I'm having a very heated discussion with some people on another thread (about crime in UK) who are trying to compare UK's crime with Bajan crime
How the hell is that possible
When your first post on a thread discussing chavs on the Moving Back to the UK forum is this:

I totaly agree with you!!! But I'm not allowed to say this in here because I'm Dutch. I had to tolerate all sort of abuse on here because of that
But I have eyes and ears in my head and see the same things as you, I'm in Portsmouth!
You left Canada ,I left Barbados What a bloody mistake!!

You know what? It doesn't even take 3 years to see what it's like, I wanted to leave after 3 weeks (the longest I had ever been).

So before anyone jumps at my throat: YES! I am heading back to Barbados!
Thank **** for that!!!

What can you expect?

The thing is, people don't get annoyed because you are Dutch at all - people only ever get mad when folk make generalisations and sweeping statements. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if I went onto the Australia forum and said that the whole of Australia was crap, didn't pay decent wages anywhere and everyone there had to have shutters on their windows because of hooligans, I'd expect a bit of a reaction wouldn't I?

There are people on that forum such as Northernbird who would never return to the UK but she takes part in discussions regularly and people respect her views. Even she has got annoyed with your statements.

And how you have worked out that the discussion is comparing crime in the UK to crime in Barbados, heaven knows
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LouiseD
When your first post on a thread discussing chavs on the Moving Back to the UK forum is this:

I totaly agree with you!!! But I'm not allowed to say this in here because I'm Dutch. I had to tolerate all sort of abuse on here because of that
But I have eyes and ears in my head and see the same things as you, I'm in Portsmouth!

You know what? It doesn't even take 3 years to see what it's like, I wanted to leave after 3 weeks (the longest I had ever been).

Thank **** for that!!!

What can you expect?

The thing is, people don't get annoyed because you are Dutch at all - people only ever get mad when folk make generalisations and sweeping statements. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if I went onto the Australia forum and said that the whole of Australia was crap, didn't pay decent wages anywhere and everyone there had to have shutters on their windows because of hooligans, I'd expect a bit of a reaction wouldn't I?

There are people on that forum such as Northernbird who would never return to the UK but she takes part in discussions regularly and people respect her views. Even she has got annoyed with your statements.

And how you have worked out that the discussion is comparing crime in the UK to crime in Barbados, heaven knows
Hello to you too,
you might have to read a few posts after that were someone out of the blue did mention crime in Barbados!
I'm sorry I might be wrong but the topic was:Chavs, are they really that prevalent?
To me that shows that someone did compare crimes! I didn't start it!!!!!

And mentioning the Dutch thing: people have been saying why I don't return to Holland if I dislike UK so much, to me that sounds very childish!
I am married to a Brit, living in UK, but I can't have an opinion??

The last comment I just read on the other thread is: I am English although I don't live there I haven't forgotten what England is like. It is the place of my birth and I have as much right, if not more, to comment on its shortcomings and good points

The"if not more" says enough!

Goodbye!!

Last edited by trutje; Jun 28th 2007 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mizzy
...and our housekeeper gave me a lecture on the 'sea has no back door'. so always listen to the sea!!
Hi mizzy,
I love the bajan "wisdom" and sayings, they are so funny Have you ever browsed this site: http://barbados.gssites.com/links/quotes.htm
AND I love the bajan dialect!!!!!! OK, out of competition cause I just love Barbados, almost all of it

graham hall-fantastic tranquil site, in christchurch
Do you mean Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary? I never been there but plan to visit this time, must be wonderful and quiet, and this just besides the south coast main road!

Without doubt there are many places which are beautiful, but for me there is nothing that can top to drive to the east coast, over Cherry Tree Hill, downwards to Cattlewash and BAthsheba, and there stop for a drink and a maccharoni pie in this little rum shop on the right side before the road turns right back up the hill. I just love Bathsheba, even I didn´t succeed in surfing (I tried but I think I am too old), it is amazing to stand there, watching the waves, smelling the ocean and enjoying!!!!

Another tipp: try out Mannie´s at Suga Suga on Mullins Beach (on the road to Holetown), it is a very nice beach bar where you can enjoy the evenings for a sundowner. I am there almost every evening......................addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Belinda1974; Jun 29th 2007 at 6:46 am.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD

Thank **** for that!!!

What can you expect?

valiant effort louise - i've read that whole chav thread you describe and agree with you - it's nothing to do with being the poster being dutch, and everything to do with being aggressive and intentionally rubbing people up the wrong way (insinuating that another poster's daughter was dressed inappropriately for a 12 year old, hence inviting being "hit on" by an adult male in barbados, to name but one example).

unfortunately the poster in question either remains oblivious to the effect she has or is deliberately antagonising others and is, frankly, not worth it! kudos for giving it a go.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rabsody
valiant effort louise - i've read that whole chav thread you describe and agree with you - it's nothing to do with being the poster being dutch, and everything to do with being aggressive and intentionally rubbing people up the wrong way (insinuating that another poster's daughter was dressed inappropriately for a 12 year old, hence inviting being "hit on" by an adult male in barbados, to name but one example).

unfortunately the poster in question either remains oblivious to the effect she has or is deliberately antagonising others and is, frankly, not worth it! kudos for giving it a go.
What eveerrrrrrrrrrr
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

...discussion ended
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
Hi mizzy,
I love the bajan "wisdom" and sayings, they are so funny Have you ever browsed this site: http://barbados.gssites.com/links/quotes.htm
AND I love the bajan dialect!!!!!! OK, out of competition cause I just love Barbados, almost all of it

Do you mean Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary? I never been there but plan to visit this time, must be wonderful and quiet, and this just besides the south coast main road!

Without doubt there are many places which are beautiful, but for me there is nothing that can top to drive to the east coast, over Cherry Tree Hill, downwards to Cattlewash and BAthsheba, and there stop for a drink and a maccharoni pie in this little rum shop on the right side before the road turns right back up the hill. I just love Bathsheba, even I didn´t succeed in surfing (I tried but I think I am too old), it is amazing to stand there, watching the waves, smelling the ocean and enjoying!!!!

Another tipp: try out Mannie´s at Suga Suga on Mullins Beach (on the road to Holetown), it is a very nice beach bar where you can enjoy the evenings for a sundowner. I am there almost every evening......................addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!
I find it strange we have never met in Suga Suga I love it there too!! It's also nice to have some lunch
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

...discussion ended

Have you packed yet???
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

I find it strange we have never met in Suga Suga I love it there too!! It's also nice to have some lunch
Hm, what a shame!!!!! But soon we will be able to go there together ok??
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Have you packed yet???
Errrrrrrrr, NO But today will be a tough shopping day, have to buy all the woman´s stuff for travel
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hm, what a shame!!!!! But soon we will be able to go there together ok??
Definitly
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

mizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

yes-its a lovely place, take a picnic, or nip out for a local lunch and return to the nature sactuary the rest of the day. the kids love it - particularly feeding the fish-buy the fish food at ticket desk. it is a suprisingly quiet place given its location. in our opinion it really is worth a visit or two.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

yes-its a lovely place, take a picnic, or nip out for a local lunch and return to the nature sactuary the rest of the day. the kids love it - particularly feeding the fish-buy the fish food at ticket desk. it is a suprisingly quiet place given its location. in our opinion it really is worth a visit or two.
It's definitly something different for the kids to see. I starting going there when I started to notice my kids got a bit sick of going to the beach. And it did make a change for my husband and me too It is a very peaceful place!

Last edited by trutje; Jun 29th 2007 at 8:37 am.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

I need some clarification,please

Yesterday I went into a supermarket with my 7 year old son. After a few minutes he came up to me with a little box and ask if we could have this.
I looked in the box and saw 4 ,what I would call "jam Beignets".(I know, it doesn't sound very dutch) But it said they were Doughnuts

So, sorry Zanne, but now even I want to know: WHAT doughnuts were we talking about???????????????

I was talking about these.....
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...hnuts+pictures

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...GB216%26sa%3DN

This is the one in the shop...

Last edited by trutje; Jun 30th 2007 at 8:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.