Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Is it all sunshine and smiles?

Is it all sunshine and smiles?

Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it all sunshine and smiles?

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
Can´t imagine that Cathy I am sure you are perfect!

I can squeeze a whole doughnut in my mouth
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

simon-hannah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help, we'll probably be heading out early next year. Just waiting on the paperwork to be finalised, which areas should we be looking at to rent and how much should we expect to pay(cost should be met by employer, hopefully). And what's all this about doughnuts!!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

mizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simon-hannah
And what's all this about doughnuts!!

when you get out to BB you'll find out. no doughtnuts in the UK will ever come close. BB doughnuts are the best.!!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

What doughnuts are you talking about?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zanne
What doughnuts are you talking about?
The round ones with a hole in the middle

Last edited by trutje; Jun 28th 2007 at 8:58 am.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simon-hannah
Thanks for the help, we'll probably be heading out early next year. Just waiting on the paperwork to be finalised, which areas should we be looking at to rent and how much should we expect to pay(cost should be met by employer, hopefully). And what's all this about doughnuts!!
You're welcome
Are you going to work on Ape Hill by any chance?

Doughnuts?? What doughnuts?

You can buy the most deliciouse doughnuts on the island, with pink and white icing, coloured sprinckles and chocolate toppings

The whole west and south is the most populated. Me personaly love it on the west coast. Houses are build of the main road, so still quiet, and if you want the buzz , it's only a few minutes walk. And you're always close to a beach

It depends what sort of house you are looking for. If you want a villa with pool, you pay. But it will never EVER be as much as you would pay in the UK!!!
If you want, I can mail you some photo's of our house then. We paid 4500 bajan dollar but it was worth every single dollar
( if you want me to mail them just send me your personal email adress by private message)
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Oooops, very interesting

I'm having a very heated discussion with some people on another thread (about crime in UK) who are trying to compare UK's crime with Bajan crime
How the hell is that possible
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by trutje
Oooops, very interesting

I'm having a very heated discussion with some people on another thread (about crime in UK) who are trying to compare UK's crime with Bajan crime
How the hell is that possible
UHUH Cathy, I just read all the posts you are referring to.......uff....I think at that thread you met a lot of "tight" brits.....Just forget this discussion and stay here to discuss with us
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

UHUH Cathy, I just read all the posts you are referring to.......uff....I think at that thread you met a lot of "tight" brits.....Just forget this discussion and stay here to discuss with us
Unbelievable!

Jason always says there's a world of difference between the average Dutch and average Brit. I couldn't care less if someone says anything negative about Holland
But as soon a "foreigner" says a bad thing about Britain they get slaughtered
Isn't that called chauvinistic!?

Yeah, you're right!!! I should keep my business within the Barbados fans, at least we know why we have left or leaving the country we \re coming from

Anyway, I also got slaughtered for the Dutch and the Bajans, how funny is that!?

Last edited by trutje; Jun 28th 2007 at 12:05 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

And if I have offended any Brits on here, I didn't mean to

Pfffff, talking about selfdistruction
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trutje
And if I have offended any Brits on here, I didn't mean to

Pfffff, talking about selfdistruction
As a matter of interest, and don't want to get a debate started!!! But what is the crime like? I'm led to believe from most folks that like anywhere there is crime but for the MOST part it is petty theft. Leave your doors open and a passer-by will pop their head in to see what on offer...especially if it's on the countertop by the door sort of thing.

The reason I ask is that, we have just heard from a collegue of a collegue that whilst they were in B'dos (couple of yrs) they had a lot of hassles as they were a single female and always had men bothering her and she heard "stories" of how unsafe it can be. Obviously I don't know these "stories" and maybe that's all they are..just stories.

But have any of you with kids or no kids, had any problems.....did you ever feel unsafe in the house on your own if your partners were away etc.

I can't speak for this person and not knowing all they are talking about...but I'm sure each person has their own views on the experiences out there.

I remember quite some years ago that 2guys followed me and my girlfriends back to our hotel and 1 guy grabbed my arm and insisted they come and party with me.....politeness didn't work so when I saw a cop over the road....I gestured to this guy that he look over the road as that's where I'd be heading if he didn't let go of me. End of story.

My husband is making me feel nervous about what he has heard, not that I'm going to attract trouble...just that he is worry and shouldn't be......right?

I'm looking forward to coming over.....not long to go (well a month or so!) but time passes real quick.

Cheers

RS
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rumswizz
But have any of you with kids or no kids, had any problems.....did you ever feel unsafe in the house on your own if your partners were away etc.

My husband is making me feel nervous about what he has heard, not that I'm going to attract trouble...just that he is worry and shouldn't be......right?

I'm looking forward to coming over.....not long to go (well a month or so!) but time passes real quick.

Cheers

RS

i travel regularly on my own, and with my family, to barbados, go shopping, walk around, go to beach. the locals are a great welcoming nation and i have not had anyone 'push their luck'. a simple husband at home, or on his way , live/work here,has never failed and they will chat or politelyleave you alone. even in 'town' or shopping. they do have the greatest respect and even the locals will talk with one of their own if you should look a little uncertain or unsure and make you all smile in the end.
someone somewhere will always have an unsettling story about what they have heard or been told for any country in the world. i have been going to BB now for too many years and too many visits (never enough though!!)and can report some such stories too, however the 'tourist' in the stories i have heard have not always helped themselves- leaving doors unlocked, leaving money/valuables on display, abuse alcohol situations etc etc. would you do that at home??? then why do it somewhere else.
my family are all out in july and cant wait. you can only have a lovely time out in BB. so please do not endlessy worry yourself before you have had chance to enjoy what BB holds for you.
i hope this feedback will cheer you up and reduce your concerns.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mizzy
i travel regularly on my own, and with my family, to barbados, go shopping, walk around, go to beach. the locals are a great welcoming nation and i have not had anyone 'push their luck'. a simple husband at home, or on his way , live/work here,has never failed and they will chat or politelyleave you alone. even in 'town' or shopping. they do have the greatest respect and even the locals will talk with one of their own if you should look a little uncertain or unsure and make you all smile in the end.
someone somewhere will always have an unsettling story about what they have heard or been told for any country in the world. i have been going to BB now for too many years and too many visits (never enough though!!)and can report some such stories too, however the 'tourist' in the stories i have heard have not always helped themselves- leaving doors unlocked, leaving money/valuables on display, abuse alcohol situations etc etc. would you do that at home??? then why do it somewhere else.
my family are all out in july and cant wait. you can only have a lovely time out in BB. so please do not endlessy worry yourself before you have had chance to enjoy what BB holds for you.
i hope this feedback will cheer you up and reduce your concerns.

Perfectly described mizzy, totally agree!!!! Only 7 days left til departure...........
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Only 7 days left til departure...........

lucky you.
a little longer for me and family, my excitment and kids is driving my husband mad!!!! oh how i love BB
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

simon-hannah is an unknown quantity at this point

petty crime, good weather, friendly locals and doughnuts! Its going to be a long 6 months till we get there. We will holiday in BB later this year, what time would be best to visit and which sites/experiences are not to be missed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.