British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   advise on living in barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/advise-living-barbados-758418/)

coully12 May 15th 2012 10:32 pm

advise on living in barbados

Hi I'd like some advise if possible on moving to Barbados.. I've a job in the uk that i can do in Barbados from home do i still need a work permit even though I will not be working for a Bajan company?what are the visa/tax situations for someone like me? anyone help? Thanks In advance...:)

Serendipidy May 15th 2012 10:57 pm

Re: advise on living in barbados

Welcome Coully.. its not a problem as such to continue working for your own business from home in Barbados however you cannot initially reside there without a status visa and unless you can qualify for one via ie a work permit or spousal visa or special entry (property/retirement qualifies)etc then you will merely be able to obtain a visitors visa just like in the UK this could be anything from 1 to 6 months. Another option would be to register a subsidiary company in Barbados and apply for a work permit to work for that company however these are not very easily gained under the current government..might be worth seeing how the land lies after the election

coully12 May 15th 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks.. So I could come on a visitors visa for a month rent out a holiday let, work from there still without a problem? then try get an extension? or go down the route you said after the election if i feel I'd like to stay longer?:)

Serendipidy May 15th 2012 11:21 pm

yea if you ask for a 3 months visit initially you may well get it at airport will depend on who you get in the line would recommend that your ticket is for that period cos in england the date of your ticket is what they go on but never been asked for it in Barbados.. dont mention work at all obviously cos its not reallly relevant.. you may well then get an extension downtown to 6 months but you cant actually apply till you have a week left on your current visa.. funny tho cos it can sometimes take months to process your ext and by then the time has expired anyhow lol

Just a warning tho.. getting internet access is not as simple as in the UK and it can be unstable(specially if it rains) so if you looking for holiday let make sure it has internet access already if its key for work

coully12 May 16th 2012 1:39 pm

Hi That is just the news i wanted to hear!.. Thanks so much!!! any other tips and advice on the internet and telephone companies would be of help to, also any clues on any house rental deposits ect? Or companies to contact regarding renting a house in the south side of the island?

Serendipidy May 16th 2012 4:19 pm

Coully if you put your dates up on here then people can IM you if they know anything available.. also put what you are looking for ie house/appt how many bedrooms and also take a look at cariblist.com but you will need to be definite with your dates first and maybe adjust them if you find the perfect location but availability not your thing.. I do know of somewhere that you could check out their availability but it all depends on what you are looking for.. again i would suggest you only view properties that already have telephone and internet because it could take the length of your stay to get those two sorted!! My experience is that you just like UK you pay a months deposit and a months rent in advance

coully12 May 16th 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks again I'll check cariblist ... my dates are the 29th oct 2012 it would be a 2/3 bed house apt down the south near st Lawrence Maxwell Christchurch area Oistins anywhere around must have air con internet and phone line max $1200 a month if that's possible? help point in the right direction anyone?... Thanks serendipity for all help so far

Serendipidy May 16th 2012 10:17 pm

No probs Coully good luck .. the $1200 figure is very low if its BDS for what your asking for especially for short term rental I would have thought a more realistic figure would be $1800bds

coully12 May 17th 2012 8:33 am

Hi Sorry that should be us$ not BDS..