Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Advice on wages - looking for employees.

Advice on wages - looking for employees.

Old Feb 18th 2015, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

AnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice on wages - looking for employees.

Hello all,

I have not posted in quite some time but I need some advice and thank you all in advance.

I would like to know what do you think is a decent salary for an employee working on a farm. His/her daily duties will include picking up eggs, lifting 50lb bags of feed, farming like planting or reaping crops etc.

I was told that $80 bajan a day is a good salary for this type of work. Please let me know what you think. Is it too much or too little?

BTW, the business is located in the parish of St Lucy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Anthony
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Bentham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on wages - looking for employees.

Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC
Hello all,

I have not posted in quite some time but I need some advice and thank you all in advance.

I would like to know what do you think is a decent salary for an employee working on a farm. His/her daily duties will include picking up eggs, lifting 50lb bags of feed, farming like planting or reaping crops etc.

I was told that $80 bajan a day is a good salary for this type of work. Please let me know what you think. Is it too much or too little?

BTW, the business is located in the parish of St Lucy.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Anthony
Hello Anthony,
Do you mean good market salary? How many hours does this working day include? Six or ten hours makes difference, no?
Old Feb 25th 2015, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

AnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura aboutAnthonyNYC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bentham
Hello Anthony,
Do you mean good market salary? How many hours does this working day include? Six or ten hours makes difference, no?
Good point. I meant a standard 8 hour day with a 30 min lunch, roughly $10 an hour bds currency. Is that a fair wage to work on a farm?

Thanks,

Anthony
Old Feb 25th 2015, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Bentham is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know this market specifically. However, given that it is in St Lucy (not many jobs there) looks ok for this kind of work for locals. Barbados does not have national minimum wage, but has a minimum wage for shop assistants which is used as a guideline. Now it is 6.25. But you should consider other things: if you live there, it's ok. If you have take a bus to get there, you will pay at least 4 for commuting and spent unpaid time; and buses are not frequent and reliable in this area. Will you get some produce as a part of your payment? How much is your rent? Etc. If you are renting something and do not have other income, even if you work 7 days per week, it is may be just enough for one person to survive.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bentham
I do not know this market specifically. However, given that it is in St Lucy (not many jobs there) looks ok for this kind of work for locals. Barbados does not have national minimum wage, but has a minimum wage for shop assistants which is used as a guideline. Now it is 6.25. But you should consider other things: if you live there, it's ok. If you have take a bus to get there, you will pay at least 4 for commuting and spent unpaid time; and buses are not frequent and reliable in this area. Will you get some produce as a part of your payment? How much is your rent? Etc. If you are renting something and do not have other income, even if you work 7 days per week, it is may be just enough for one person to survive.
Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. Those are things I did not consider. I will really have to sit down and think things out as you suggested.

Thanks again,

Anthony