Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Advice about Moving to Barbados

Advice about Moving to Barbados

Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:48 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice about Moving to Barbados

Originally Posted by elkia
Johnslice i recently made the decision to accept an offer in Barbados, i did visit the island first before i made my mind up, and just like you i'm a single 28 year old female, the locals seemed nice enough when i visited...what i found out is the most headache would be buying a car.. its very expensive.. like you as well my job doesn't offer transportation or housing.. i will be making around the same as you.. and going through all the possible expenses i will have some savings left over monthly and that's with a car payment..

Side question: my company put in for my work permit a month ago.. and i'm now in limbo waiting for the papers to be processed. when i call they tell me they can't give me any information personally because my company applied for it.. does it normally take the 6-8 weeks?? that's what i was told when I called.. is there any way to get the process expedited sooner ? i'm getting concerned because my current job will be ending soon and i was hoping to be in the Island by July 1st.. will that be a possibility ?
The immigration department here in Barbados is in the worst possible shape you can imagine. There are no hard and fast rules, no computerised system, few people who feel its necessary to be helpful and a huge backlog of applications for all types of things including work permits citizenships etc.

At the same time they are focussed on "outing" from the island illegals so a lot of man power is spent sending people home and are also in the midst of geting rid of undesirables within their own department who may have dealt with issues underhand under the previous administration (we had a government change here in last 18 months and a lot has been uncovered).

Therefore bottom line is i waited 8 months for my original work permit (I own the company so may have been a little complicated and they lost my file) and have now been waiting for 6 months for my renewal. I use a lawyer and this seems to have more clout than not using one yet still my life is completely in limbo until i get the yes or no. 6-8 weeks in my opinon is a joke but maybe your company has someone in the know all i can say is that you should have a back up plan because regardless of wat you are applying for and how much right you have to it then i think you gonna be waiting possibly up to 6 months

Sorry that the news is wat it is but there is nothing worse than being constantly drip fed contrite statements from immigration when your livelyhood depends on their answers.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
I use a lawyer and this seems to have more clout than not using one
I'd 100% agree with that - use a lawyer, use a lawyer, use a lawyer!!

I was very fortunate that my application for residency was very speedy, everything done in 4 months (maybe because I was clearly in a position to support myself and not require a work permit).

I have no doubt without a lawyer on the case (and without me being "on his case" over the phone daily!) that would never have been achieved having spoken to several other Brits/Americans etc on the island.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

I'd agree, too. Lawyer made all the difference.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

elkia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice.. i'm going to get the certification process started and go through CARICOM to see if that process will be any faster.. i guess whichever one comes through first i'll go with.. I'm starting to see all the craziness that everyone has been talking about with immigration.. its not a bad thing for them to actually tell people the truth instead of saying the typical 6-8 weeks.. why not just say it might take up to 6 months and be done with it.. If i knew this in the beginning i would have told my current position that i would be leaving in 6 months instead of giving up my job and now sitting in limbo waiting for the next one to start... Frustrations :curse:
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:25 pm
hlv
Just Joined

hlv is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Serendipity....6-8 weeks for an immigration quote is an absolute joke! My husband has a valid work permit and to extend my status as a visitor I was told wuld only take 2 weeks.....it took four months and that was only after my third visit to the office demanding my passport be stamped. Hopefully your employer has some clout with immigration......be persistant!! Good luck.

-hlv
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

coolgbb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I live in Barbados, seems like you are having some difficulty getting stuff sorted out. I may be of some assistance, I volunteer at a couple local churches so I generally meet people where they live. I have friends in various sectors in government and so on and may be able to offer some advice and put you on to friends of mine. I do hope however that everything works out for you.
God bless.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:44 am
Just Joined

elkia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolgbb
Hi, I live in Barbados, seems like you are having some difficulty getting stuff sorted out. I may be of some assistance, I volunteer at a couple local churches so I generally meet people where they live. I have friends in various sectors in government and so on and may be able to offer some advice and put you on to friends of mine. I do hope however that everything works out for you.
God bless.
Thanks.. Coolgbb.. i sent you a private message.. I'm currently in Barbados..
Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

tng1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Immigration can be a pain and they dont even seem like they care. Is is true they have a lot on their plate though, but i dont see that as any reason to why they opperate as theyy do. Good news is, that I got my short term work permit approved in 6 weeks exactly and I arrived Feb this year, so I guess it just depends on pot luck. Im about to apply for my 3 year visa, oh the joys, lol.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:38 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Im still waiting for info on if my work permit renewal is gonna go thru - it was applied for in January!!!! My original one expired in April - they are now asking for my company to show audited accounts and my accountants and lawyers have pointed out that there is no legal requirement for this once a company trades under a million dollars - they asked us to write a letter to that effect!!!

I could have said it in 2 words but thankfully my lawyer took a more professional approach lol. However I got to say that this is the ministry doing this foolishness and is totally out of the hands of the actual immigration department who have been really helpful in my predicament. (just in case ya reading this lol cos you bound to know who me is!!)

The big issue now is if you I dont get thru on your renewal they telling you to leave the island and not come back for a year!!!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 3:49 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats good money for a year in Barbados plus i can recommend you a nice place in an up scale area with very low rent and a free car.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Sounds too good to be true sir...
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

lettiesmall1957 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tng1
Hi,

Immigration can be a pain and they dont even seem like they care. Is is true they have a lot on their plate though, but i dont see that as any reason to why they opperate as theyy do. Good news is, that I got my short term work permit approved in 6 weeks exactly and I arrived Feb this year, so I guess it just depends on pot luck. Im about to apply for my 3 year visa, oh the joys, lol.
Hi,
When you applied for a work permit , did u do it thru a company or you did it personally.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

tng1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i applied for a permit through a company, and they had gone through the process before, so maybe thats why it was pretty quick. Immigration can be a right pain, so good luck with yours.