Accommodation advice

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:58 am
Just Joined

AndrewHS is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Accommodation advice

Accommodation advice
Hi all,
After years of hankering after moving to Barbados I have finally decided to take the bull by the horns and come out this winter for an extended stay (3 – 6 months) to see if “living” on this island is really for me.
I want to be able to stay, not in a hotel, but “normal” accommodation so I can experience life as it would be! My question, will I be able to rent a small apartment on a month by month basis or would I have to sign a 6 months tenancy like in the UK; Any ideas of monthly rent?
I will not be seeking work while on the Island, but will I have to apply for an extended stay?

Do we have a British Expats club/bar on the Island?
Many thanks,
Andrew

Last edited by AndrewHS; Jun 22nd 2008 at 9:02 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:25 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation advice

Hi Andrew

Good luck with coming to Barbados. Your questions have been answered before in some other recent links but I will recap some basic infor for you.

The rent will all depend on how big a place and where you want to live just like here in the UK. The Nation newspaper (available on line) advertises places to rent and I have seen 1 bed places being offered at between $800-$1300 bajan (£200-£350) per month. If you go through an agency you will have to sign a contract just like here and most places ask for a deposit of one month and one month in advance.

If you are coming at winter time then its prime season so you wont necessarily have the bargaining power you might have at other times - Nov to Feb in Barbados is packed with expats with many coming every winter for 3 mnths.

I am presuming you are British from your comments of british expats bar therefore you are entitled to a 6 month stay (providing obviously there is no reason for not ie deported etc lol) however when you get to the airport the most I have heard given is a 3 month stamp - the additional time you need to apply for at the immigration office (joy joy joy!!)

There are several bars where brits hang out including Charlies Bar and Oceans 11 on the South Coast.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask for more help

Serendipidy