Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:28 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 45
birthdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Hi everyone, I am moving to Barbados on 31 Aug, I am so excited, however, I need some information, I am sending over a 10 ft container with household good from England, which includes sofa, 2 beds etc, can anyone give an indication of the damage to my purse and the procedure in terms in clearing the goods from port and does anyone know of any reasonable firms to deliver container to my home.
birthdaygirl is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:27 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 31
hotchick21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Oh wow,

You are so lucky! Good luck with everything & keep us all posted...
I'll be in Barbados end of September for a two week vacation- but looking into things as really want to live here!

I'll be posting a "meet up" ad soon, as would really like to meet some of the lovely well informed peep I've been speaking to- will keep you posted

Sandy currently UK based- but working to get out!!
hotchick21 is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:10 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Foxy_fromCanada's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Hastings, Barbados
Posts: 696
Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Looking forward to the meet-up, Hotchick!

Congratultions, birthdaygirl, and good luck with your move. I'm sorry I can't help you with your shipping questions, but I know someone on here can!
Foxy_fromCanada is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:35 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Brighton, UK/Ch Ch, Barbados
Posts: 76
expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

I used West Indies Freight to ship some furniture - however it was Ikea flat-pack stuff, so the shipping was very cheap, but the duty was high (well not that high because the furniture was cheap in the first place). If you're shipping your own (non-new) furniture, the shipping will be high but the duty will be low/negligible. The vessel takes around 10 - 12 days to get here, (and they ship weekly) then they call you when it arrives, you have to go down to the agent (West Indies Freight use Tropical Shipping on Spring Garden Highway) where one of their guys works out how much duty you have to pay. Then you have to go to the Customs building at the port to pay the duty - they give you a receipt - then you go BACK to the agent who releases the goods. They will deliver for you. Basically a day's worth of faffing around.

Do a search on the internet and get some quotes, the procedure is obviously the same, but i guess the price will vary.
expat_wannabe07 is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:47 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Holders Hill, St James
Posts: 34
afish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

I am in the process of using J A Coles. Shipping a sole use 20ft container from London to Barbados. They anticipate everything clearing and ready for delivery to my house (wherever that will be!?!?! panic has set in!) w/c 14th September. They are using Greaves Michael to broke the container and don't anticipate any duty, or very low duty as all my items are used.

Greaves Michael Associates are the only brokerage firm in Barbados that are listed as members of the UK Association of Removers, which apparently means they have to reach a certain standard of service to qualify. They are apparently the best.

My total shipment, including packing, unpacking and delivery is £4k.
afish is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:46 am
  #6  
 
Sunniebgi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Barbados
Posts: 1,281
Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Originally Posted by afish View Post
I am in the process of using J A Coles. Shipping a sole use 20ft container from London to Barbados. They anticipate everything clearing and ready for delivery to my house (wherever that will be!?!?! panic has set in!) w/c 14th September. They are using Greaves Michael to broke the container and don't anticipate any duty, or very low duty as all my items are used.

Greaves Michael Associates are the only brokerage firm in Barbados that are listed as members of the UK Association of Removers, which apparently means they have to reach a certain standard of service to qualify. They are apparently the best.

My total shipment, including packing, unpacking and delivery is £4k.
Michael Greaves is also the most expensive.. He quoted me something like 1000.00usd just to clear and deliver my goods from port in Barbados to my door in Barbados. I used another gentleman who quoted me approx 800.00BBD and that's pretty much what I paid.

Adrian Harewood
[email protected]
246-230-4847 (Cell)
246-437-2045 (Home)

I had to do some of the leg work, re the documents, but .. that's because my US company only shipped to the port (at my suggestion) and then Adrian did the clearance and deliver once in Barbados.

my shipment was fairly small, just over 100cubic feet in total.. and only one piece of furniture, used..and the rest boxes of household goods
Sunniebgi is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:17 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 45
birthdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Thank you all for your advise, I cannot wait to meet up with some of the people on the site. This site has be invaluable, my sister thinks I am obessed.
birthdaygirl is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:37 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Holders Hill, St James
Posts: 34
afish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi View Post
Michael Greaves is also the most expensive.. He quoted me something like 1000.00usd just to clear and deliver my goods from port in Barbados to my door in Barbados. I used another gentleman who quoted me approx 800.00BBD and that's pretty much what I paid.

Adrian Harewood
[email protected]
246-230-4847 (Cell)
246-437-2045 (Home)

I had to do some of the leg work, re the documents, but .. that's because my US company only shipped to the port (at my suggestion) and then Adrian did the clearance and deliver once in Barbados.

my shipment was fairly small, just over 100cubic feet in total.. and only one piece of furniture, used..and the rest boxes of household goods
As I understand it, not being in the trade you are quoted a higher rate than a removal firm that may be handling a door to door move.
afish is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:22 pm
  #9  
 
Sunniebgi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Barbados
Posts: 1,281
Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

afish, I'm not sure what you mean.. but the agent I used from the US, got a quote from Michael Greaves company.. they would do the door to port and he would do the port to door.. but the quote was from door to door.

When the company in the US called me to tell me the quote. .the man said.. WE can do a door to door for x amount. I said.. wow. .. can you break that down.. he said.. door to port on their end was one price.. then added on another 1000.00usd, which is what MG company quoted him to get my stuff from the port, through immigration and to my house. I said.. nope.. I'm going to find my own person.. and I did.. As a local, I know what the freight costs are, or can find them out..

I did speak with a few other people who are in businesses that have shipments coming in from the US.. and without mentioning the name of the company, they told me that the quote was way to high for what I had and as it was personal items,

Unfortunately, what it does mean is that unless you have a contact in Barbados, or are prepared to sit (like I did on both ends) and spend the time to investigate the prices, contacting shippers and movers and packers etc etc.. you are pretty much at the mercy of the price people give you.. as with many things.
Sunniebgi is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2009, 7:19 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Holders Hill, St James
Posts: 34
afish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

I spoke directly to MG and to your agent and they quoted me the same price. Don't know if things have changed recently.

I'm sure being local definitely helps, it certainly seems to be a lot of who you know!

Oh well, MG are clearing my container and fingers crossed it will all go smoothly.

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi View Post
afish, I'm not sure what you mean.. but the agent I used from the US, got a quote from Michael Greaves company.. they would do the door to port and he would do the port to door.. but the quote was from door to door.

When the company in the US called me to tell me the quote. .the man said.. WE can do a door to door for x amount. I said.. wow. .. can you break that down.. he said.. door to port on their end was one price.. then added on another 1000.00usd, which is what MG company quoted him to get my stuff from the port, through immigration and to my house. I said.. nope.. I'm going to find my own person.. and I did.. As a local, I know what the freight costs are, or can find them out..

I did speak with a few other people who are in businesses that have shipments coming in from the US.. and without mentioning the name of the company, they told me that the quote was way to high for what I had and as it was personal items,

Unfortunately, what it does mean is that unless you have a contact in Barbados, or are prepared to sit (like I did on both ends) and spend the time to investigate the prices, contacting shippers and movers and packers etc etc.. you are pretty much at the mercy of the price people give you.. as with many things.
afish is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:47 pm
  #11  
 
Sunniebgi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Barbados
Posts: 1,281
Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Originally Posted by afish View Post
I spoke directly to MG and to your agent and they quoted me the same price. Don't know if things have changed recently.

I'm sure being local definitely helps, it certainly seems to be a lot of who you know!

Oh well, MG are clearing my container and fingers crossed it will all go smoothly.

I hope he does well for you.. I'll I can tell you is that MG quoted me over 1000.00bbd more than the guy I used.. for what reason, I don't know.. but he did...
Sunniebgi is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:22 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 45
birthdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Thank you Sunniebgi, I contacted Adrian and he quoted me bbd 1500 for a 10ft container.
birthdaygirl is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:44 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 96
bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Originally Posted by birthdaygirl View Post
Thank you Sunniebgi, I contacted Adrian and he quoted me bbd 1500 for a 10ft container.
Hi birthday girl, i am interested to hear how your dealings with clearing the container etc. work out.
I have good hopes to move to Barbados next year and plan to ship a 20ft container, in the meantime i am trying to find some quote's but also interested in experiences from others who have done the same thing, i will be in Barbados for 3 month's this winter, hopefully i will be able to get some answers then as well.
In the mean time , goodluck with your move!
bamiskados is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:17 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 28
butterflysue1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

When I brought my 20ft container over it cost 3.5k GBP and then it cost me 250bds for the customs broker and 900bds to clear the post and extra to deliver the container to my home 250bds. The Customs guy came to my home to open the container his time is charged at 3 hours overtime approx 100bds. That was what I paid in all but that was 2003.
butterflysue1 is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2009, 4:11 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 96
bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice
Default Re: 31 Aug 09 Moving to Sunny Barbados

Originally Posted by butterflysue1 View Post
When I brought my 20ft container over it cost 3.5k GBP and then it cost me 250bds for the customs broker and 900bds to clear the post and extra to deliver the container to my home 250bds. The Customs guy came to my home to open the container his time is charged at 3 hours overtime approx 100bds. That was what I paid in all but that was 2003.
Thanks for your response.
That doesn't sound to bad on the barbados side, but as you said it is 6 years ago, the shipping from UK seems expensive compared with the qoutes i have received so far, and i will be shipping from holland. Did your price include packing and loading? That could make a big diffence. I am just trying to cover the loopholes that would leave me with unexpected costs.
bamiskados is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.