British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   3/6 month stay in Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/3-6-month-stay-barbados-735136/)

summer10 Oct 9th 2011 2:43 pm

3/6 month stay in Barbados

I have visited Barbados many times and like most people have fallen in love with this country, going on holiday for a few weeks a year just isn't enough for me and i basically just live for the Island!
I am looking to take a career break and hopefully visit the Island for 3/6 months,
I have read many comments about people wanting to gain a work permit and it seems almost impossible unless you have something to offer that a Bajan citizen doesn't which is fair enough, but does the same apply for a short stay work permit and how obtainable are these.
Does anyone know the maximum time you can stay in Barbados on a holiday Visa, My passport is always stamped with maximum stay 28 days, ( have also read comments about it all depends on the person who stamps your passport!) surely there are regulations! and do you know if there are opportunities to do voluntary work on the Island and if so are you allowed to on a holiday visa.
Look forward to your replies!

Pistolpete2 Oct 11th 2011 5:02 pm

Re: 3/6 month stay in Barbados

Originally Posted by summer10 (Post 9666011)
I have visited Barbados many times and like most people have fallen in love with this country, going on holiday for a few weeks a year just isn't enough for me and i basically just live for the Island!
I am looking to take a career break and hopefully visit the Island for 3/6 months,
I have read many comments about people wanting to gain a work permit and it seems almost impossible unless you have something to offer that a Bajan citizen doesn't which is fair enough, but does the same apply for a short stay work permit and how obtainable are these.
Does anyone know the maximum time you can stay in Barbados on a holiday Visa, My passport is always stamped with maximum stay 28 days, ( have also read comments about it all depends on the person who stamps your passport!) surely there are regulations! and do you know if there are opportunities to do voluntary work on the Island and if so are you allowed to on a holiday visa.
Look forward to your replies!

It looks as though one could possibly get a work permit for six months if one were to satisfy Barbados Immigration that one is training employees of a company operating in Barbados:

Short-Term Work Permits

This type of work permit is for foreign nationals who will be taking up temporary positions with companies in Barbados, or who are coming to Barbados to train employees of a company operating in Barbados. Six months is the maximum time allowed for this type of permit. These applications are typically approved within three to four weeks of submission.
Requirements

Cover letter from company
C-3 application form completed in duplicate.
One passport-size photograph.
Two character references.
Documented evidence of applicant’s qualifications.
A Police Certificate of Character (PCC) from the applicant’s place of residence or a sworn affidavit in lieu of a PCC if applicant is from the UK.
Application fee of US$150.

Can't see anything on volunteer work but recall when I worked in Bermuda that you required a work permit for that as well as you are effectively taking a job which could be done by a local but then doing it for free.

summer10 Oct 11th 2011 8:13 pm

Re: 3/6 month stay in Barbados

Thank you for your reply really appreciate it, I will continue into looking into this and hopefully one day my dream will become a reality! Although I know this isn't as easy as I would like it to be!