Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

25 and thinking of moving to Barbados

25 and thinking of moving to Barbados

Old Mar 20th 2022, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

ChelseaAtkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 25 and thinking of moving to Barbados

Hello!
I'm currently living in London, looking to move out to Barbados for approx. 5 months this year. Not wanting to work (I think I would need a permit for that?), so will be living off of savings and just really taking a break. I have a number of family members and family friends in Barbados which I could stay with but these are mostly all of my grandparent's generation and dotted around the North and East costs.

So if I could, ideally I would like to rent a place of my own for the duration of my stay, so friends can visit and stay with me, and also just to have some 'me time'. I would be really grateful for any recommendations when it comes to the safest areas for a 25 year old girl to stay alone? The names of any realtor's are appreciated!

Thank you

Chelsea
Old Mar 28th 2022, 2:27 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 25 and thinking of moving to Barbados

Hi Chelsea

you may want to consider an AirBNB or VRBO rental for 5 months. I suggest that as rentals through agents may end up being a year minimum in a contract.. however.. that may or may not be relavent. (although I think most realestate and home owners/landlords prefer a longer lease rather than short term (which are more vacation rentals).

location.. I'd suggest South Coast - hastings Worthing St. Lawrence Gap..
West Coast - Holetown area..

good luck
Old Mar 31st 2022, 2:10 pm
Good day

bs_wave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 25 and thinking of moving to Barbados

Yes you need a work permit to work locally in Barbados; however if you work remotely you can apply for the Welcome Stamp remote work visa (the application fee is BDS $4,000), which grants successful applicants the right to live in Barbados and work remotely for one (1) year.

It is advised that you visit Barbados first to decide if you want to live in Barbados. Then, if you are still interested in the Welcome Stamp visa, you can apply while you are in Barbados. You only pay the visa fee if your application is accepted.

If you are not interested in the Welcome Stamp visa and want to stay as a visitor for five months only, take note that most foreign nationals (including British citizens) are only granted an entry period of three (3) months, even if they can stay for up to six (6) months in any one (1) year period.

In such cases, they are required to apply for an Extension of Stay with the Immigration Department at Bridgetown (the application fee is BDS $100). Acceptance is at the discretion of the Department. The application fee is non-refundable. Please also be advised a dress code applies to enter government buildings (no sleeveless shirts, shorts or sandals).

Short-term rentals in Barbados are very expensive during the peak tourism season (between December and April). You should also bear in mind that humidity is higher during the summer months (between June and October).

Unless you are looking for holiday accommodation (which is more expensive), you won't find any long-term rental options unless you can agree to a minimum term of six (6) months or more. For long-term property rentals, you may wish to contact Terra Caribbean.

Barbados is one of the safest countries in the Caribbean, but you should always exercise normal due diligence like you would in other countries – this advice applies to both men and women.

Some locations to consider include Holetown, Durants, Fitts Village, Hastings, Worthing, Welches, Enterprise, Atlantic Shores and Silver Sands.

Last edited by bs_wave; Mar 31st 2022 at 2:27 pm.