Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

240Volt 50Hz Power Supply available in Barbados?

240Volt 50Hz Power Supply available in Barbados?

Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

pacific21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 240Volt 50Hz Power Supply available in Barbados?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and I just wanted to shout out a big HI to all the members.

I will be moving to Barbados sometime next year. I work for BT on their IT side of the business. I have accumulated a fair degree of computer equipment over the years all of which I've built and maintained myself and possess other largish electrical items such as LCD TV's that I use as monitors for my machines. I would like to take them over with me but not sure whether 240V 50hertz power supply is available in the island.

I've recently come back from holiday there and did some asking around and have been getting all kinds of answers. The responses have been leaning more in the way of 'yes' it is available so long as its 50Hz but then I got scared when I was advised by others that No, I would need to install step up transformers on everything??

Can someone tell me for certain?

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: 240Volt 50Hz Power Supply available in Barbados?

Hi, I was told the other day that the power here runs at 240v, but 40hz instead of 50. My neighbor told me that the difference seems to effect his alarm clock.

Hope this helps!

Zanne
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:03 am
Just Joined

pacific21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zanne
Hi, I was told the other day that the power here runs at 240v, but 40hz instead of 50. My neighbor told me that the difference seems to effect his alarm clock.

Hope this helps!

Zanne

Thanks Zanne, that does help. Now I just need to confirm if its 40 Hz or 50Hz ! If its 40 my stuff still won't run correctly.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Why not call B L&P and ask them, here is the number: 246 436 1800 or maybe an electrician Williams Electrical: 246 425 6000

Good luck!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

HI,

my husband just told me that you can get 50Hz here, no problem with your stuff!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Peazle is an unknown quantity at this point

The frequency is definitely 50Hz. If you want to run 220-240V appliances you will either need transformers (expensive for more powerful ones) or arrange a combined 110v/220v supply from Barbados Light & Power if that is still available (someone told us that that option may be being phased out)
Old Oct 13th 2007, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Peazle
The frequency is definitely 50Hz. If you want to run 220-240V appliances you will either need transformers (expensive for more powerful ones) or arrange a combined 110v/220v supply from Barbados Light & Power if that is still available (someone told us that that option may be being phased out)
We rent a house where they are converting the 110 to 220V, so it seems not to be a problem or expensive.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

raerai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pacific21
Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and I just wanted to shout out a big HI to all the members.

I will be moving to Barbados sometime next year. I work for BT on their IT side of the business. I have accumulated a fair degree of computer equipment over the years all of which I've built and maintained myself and possess other largish electrical items such as LCD TV's that I use as monitors for my machines. I would like to take them over with me but not sure whether 240V 50hertz power supply is available in the island.

I've recently come back from holiday there and did some asking around and have been getting all kinds of answers. The responses have been leaning more in the way of 'yes' it is available so long as its 50Hz but then I got scared when I was advised by others that No, I would need to install step up transformers on everything??

Can someone tell me for certain?

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Hi, I have had an apartment in Bim for 20 years and we use 240 stuff. What you do is get an electrician to wire an additional 240 volt circuit from the fuse board which terminates in some 13 amp sockets. You can then work your UK stuff from this. There seems to be 240 volts arriving at the fuse board which is reduced for normal 110 volt (local type) sockets. Hope this helps
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

raerai is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thought, UK TV wont work in BIM they are on the US system.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raerai
Another thought, UK TV wont work in BIM they are on the US system.
This is true... UK uses the "PAL" standard. Barbados is "NTSC" like the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

Also here's the site for Barbados Light & Power.
http://www.blpc.com.bb/

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; Nov 14th 2007 at 10:10 pm.