British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   Why did I not love this country before??????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/why-did-i-not-love-country-before-917533/)

rebs Oct 12th 2018 1:51 pm

Re: Why did I not love this country before???????

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12574004)
I am still not entirely in love with my native Scotland. I retired here after many years living in Bulgaria. Sometimes when I look back I regret that I returned to Caledonia and did not stay in my adopted - and welcoming - country of Bulgaria.

i think that’s clear from some of your posts which, to my mind, are quite sneering about the UK 😆

makes me wonder what it was that drew you back?

feelbritish Oct 14th 2018 12:20 pm

We want to move to Sidmouth but could not sell our house this year so as of tomorrow it will be off the market and we will stay here in South Bucks for winter! This last week we spend 3 days in Dawlish (I remember one of the expats came from there but won't mention names ;)) and we so enjoyed that town and of course took a ferry over from Starcross village to Exmouth and enjoyed it there too! On driving back up M5 M4, my heart just was not into going back to the "rat race" I feel so much more at peace in Devon!

scot47 Oct 14th 2018 6:21 pm

Rebs

The NHS, which is under attack by the Tories, was a great factor in drawing me back And the hope that Scotland would soon cease to be part of"The United Kingdom"

between two worlds Oct 28th 2018 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12567944)
"And what should they know of England, who only England know"?

All the added perspectives from being away enrich our understanding of our original country. It is not the same country you left, and you are not the same person - but you can go on together to make more new experiences. I am glad I left. I will be glad to go back - as soon as I can.

Jensmate I love your original post! And Lion in Winter it's funny that you should use this quote, as it reminds me of one I used recently in another British Expats thread:

Only the wanderer
Knows England's graces....

which is Ivor Gurney. Reading the quote you used, I thought it was also him, but interestingly it turns out to be Kipling from The English Flag, and it's about the widespread English culture/flag all across the world (in the days of Empire). And showing how only when you go to those places do you see the full influence of Englishness across the world, that it is much bigger than just England itself.

So I've learnt something from your quote! Not sure exactly how you meant it, but certainly I agree that it's very often only when we leave that we begin to appreciate England, or other countries of Britain. So much we take fro granted before we leave, and only see its value once we're gone!

I actually did realise how much I loved England before I left, and didn't plan to end up living in USA for almost three decades!

Gordon Barlow Oct 31st 2018 2:17 am

I've lived in England three times on different occasions. In London 1963/64 as a temporary immigrant from Australia, outside High Wycombe in 1975 while waiting for our son to be born and our Kombi van to be fitted out, and on the hill south of Bath in 1977 while figuring out where to go to next. Each of those times, and every visit since (on holiday from here and visiting our son at Boarding school in Derbyshire), has been sheer pleasure. I also drove my Mum around Britain on two occasions (1965 and 1976); she fell in love with the place, immigrated at the age of 70, and died in Hereford aged 86.

The Island's beauty is grossly underrated. It's variety - of regional cultures, scenery, and styles of living - beats anything that Europe has to offer, even France. What's not to love?

aries Nov 1st 2018 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12577498)
Rebs

The NHS, which is under attack by the Tories, was a great factor in drawing me back And the hope that Scotland would soon cease to be part of"The United Kingdom"

Do you believe Scotland would be able to survive on its own, and if you’ve lived in Bulgaria for many years, why do you hate being part of the UK? I’ve never hated Scotland, but then, I’ve never been there. Have you been down to the west country?

Gordon Barlow Nov 1st 2018 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 12586581)
Do you believe Scotland would be able to survive on its own, and if you’ve lived in Bulgaria for many years, why do you hate being part of the UK? I’ve never hated Scotland, but then, I’ve never been there. Have you been down to the west country?

"Hate" is an unnecessarily harsh word, Aries. Scot47 is a very well-travelled man and (therefore) very well-educated. As such, he's entitled to his preferences, as we all are. It's rare for preferences to amount to hatred, surely. A word best avoided, I suggest.

scot47 Nov 2nd 2018 7:14 pm

Scotland could certainly stand alone. Could England ?

Gordon Barlow Nov 2nd 2018 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12586918)
Scotland could certainly stand alone. Could England ?

But can you imagine the negotiations that would follow any attempted break-up of the UK? They'd make the UK-EU negotiations look like a ten-seconds argument over how long to cook toast! Even without a revived independence movement from within the Shetlands, under the banner of "It's Shetlands' Oil!"... Yikes.

brits1 Nov 6th 2018 3:26 pm

Going off tropic here (what a lovely original thread) but yes England could flourish in its own, we would not have to subsidise any of the UK countries, control our boarders for people we actually need/require (as the case in Australia) and still be able help others that truly need our help. More Scots live in England than the other way around and that must be for some reason be it work etc. Both my grandads were not English, one Scottish the other Welsh and they use to say they made a very good life in England, they were excepted like "they were locals" and made life long friends ...my Scottish grandad use to say..."Britain is a great country and its a shame some do not feel the same way'

scot47 Nov 8th 2018 7:41 am

I have never identified myself as " a Brit" maybe that is what this comes down to. How you feel about your own identity.

brits1 Nov 24th 2018 7:54 am

I am English first and very proud of that but we really cannot express our identity/ culture as in other UK countries are able to ...as we seem to have to be British first to keep the status quo and that's a shame in some ways.

scot47 Nov 24th 2018 11:07 pm

What prevents you celebrating the reality of being English ?

Gordon Barlow Nov 24th 2018 11:56 pm

Then of course there are those of us who have no option but to call ourselves "British". My wife and I are both British by virtue of our status as residents of a British colony, when the UK (not even "Britain"!) offered us UK citizenship ten years or so ago. My ancestral lines are English and Irish (from the days when Ireland was part of the domestic British Empire), and my wife was English and Scottish. My neutral accent tricks most Brits into thinking I'm English ("from somewhere down south", which is technically correct...), and I usually let it ride.

scot47 Dec 5th 2018 1:52 pm

Here is an analysis that is NOT of the type often read by most of us. A perspective fromn
Scotland

Scottish Review: Gerry Hassan