British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   Why did I not love this country before??????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/why-did-i-not-love-country-before-917533/)

robin1234 Sep 27th 2018 1:26 pm

Re: Why did I not love this country before???????

I like sitting on the top deck of the bus in the front seat. You have the weird illusion that the driver has left it way too late to make the turn - we are going to hit that house! But in the end its all OK and we reach our destination relatively unscathed.

foxyloxy25 Sep 27th 2018 1:32 pm

Your post was so heartwarming. 🙏

BristolUK Sep 27th 2018 4:27 pm

Got room for one more? :lol:

Perth Sep 28th 2018 8:59 am

This could have been me writing this post - replace the location with Norwich and that's about it.
We love exploring all of Norfolk and have recently ventured down into Suffolk.
Everywhere I go I think, I could easily live here.
Lovely, lovely post.

BritInParis Sep 28th 2018 11:33 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12569135)
I like sitting on the top deck of the bus in the front seat. You have the weird illusion that the driver has left it way too late to make the turn - we are going to hit that house! But in the end its all OK and we reach our destination relatively unscathed.

Or run into the car in front at the lights as it appears to have disappeared under the front wheels.

michali Sep 28th 2018 11:17 pm

What a beautiful post, Jensmate! I too just love being back in the UK, especially being able to walk everywhere or, if not, take a bus. I just love London! So much to see! I do agree that when you have been abroad, you appreciate home much more. I find some of my neighbours complain a lot and to me their complaints seem trivial. But they are not as fortunate as I have been in having the experience of other countries, other cultures, other climates. I consider myself extremely lucky to be here.

feelbritish Sep 29th 2018 2:24 pm

Great post! I too love sitting on a bus up top! Also so many places we go to and see, we keep saying we could live there!

Perth Sep 30th 2018 7:50 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 12570116)
Great post! I too love sitting on a bus up top! Also so many places we go to and see, we keep saying we could live there!

:lol: terrible dilemma, isn't it? Much as we love Norwich we are thinking about moving out of the city because of my asthma. Car fumes are appalling. We were all set on anywhere else in Norfolk - but then we went to Suffolk...So now it's definitely anywhere in East Anglia :lol:

Exnorthumbrian Oct 1st 2018 10:49 am

A great post - sounds like you really have made the right choice.How I envy your contentment.
We are planning to come back to UK (we both grew up in the the NE) - for me after going to OZ in 1974.
I wil be retiring there ,though I am still working in IT job aged 67 - we hope to go to live in to Cumbria as we both did lots of mountain walking/climbing many moons ago.
I read recently that 90% of the meadows have gone since end of the War , 70% insects have disappeared (no more flies on the windscreen) and birds are less seen. How will it be for me after so long? I remember my youth in running through those meadows behind the house and wandering alone in the woods. We went back in July to the Lakes for 2 weeks , the weather was fantastic and I've never seen the mountains so clear. Will,I be disappointed in how it really is when we move back.
And by the way, what do you do to keep active (mentally , physically and socially) after a busy working life and I don't mean walking to the shop to get the paper?

Gordon Barlow Oct 3rd 2018 12:30 am

I'm English by adoption. Australian born and bred, but with English ancestry, I now regard England as my second home. We gravitated to Bath in Somerset (yes it is!), partly because my English grandfather came from one of the villages there; and we think it's one of the nicest little cities in Europe, in one of the most beautiful counties.

aries Oct 3rd 2018 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12570373)
:lol: terrible dilemma, isn't it? Much as we love Norwich we are thinking about moving out of the city because of my asthma. Car fumes are appalling. We were all set on anywhere else in Norfolk - but then we went to Suffolk...So now it's definitely anywhere in East Anglia :lol:

A small seaside town would be better for your lungs. Marvellous to stand on a cliff top, and not only admire the expansive views, but breathe in the fresh air. Even the harbourside is worthwhile, and to hear the musical tinkling of the rigging of yachts, plus the shrill calls of seagulls, it is all a far cry from the air pollution of London and industrial towns. I see the harbourside every time I walk to the shops, surgery, dentist and chemist etc, but although our hills look marvellous, I can only walk down them, not up!

Perth Oct 4th 2018 7:19 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 12572487)

A small seaside town would be better for your lungs. Marvellous to stand on a cliff top, and not only admire the expansive views, but breathe in the fresh air. Even the harbourside is worthwhile, and to hear the musical tinkling of the rigging of yachts, plus the shrill calls of seagulls, it is all a far cry from the air pollution of London and industrial towns. I see the harbourside every time I walk to the shops, surgery, dentist and chemist etc, but although our hills look marvellous, I can only walk down them, not up!

Yes, aries, you're right. We've had our eye on Sheringham ever since we got here. Go there every chance we get. No harbour but a lovely promenade and equally lovely views. We walk the coastal path quite a bit, although I know at some point we won't be able to climb to the top of the cliffs. We get enough seagulls here in Norwich, believe it or not (we live on the river) usually more than we see in on the coast! Sheringham is probably where we will end up.

robin1234 Oct 4th 2018 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12572585)
Yes, aries, you're right. We've had our eye on Sheringham ever since we got here. Go there every chance we get. No harbour but a lovely promenade and equally lovely views. We walk the coastal path quite a bit, although I know at some point we won't be able to climb to the top of the cliffs. We get enough seagulls here in Norwich, believe it or not (we live on the river) usually more than we see in on the coast! Sheringham is probably where we will end up.

Seagulls - we get them in our supermarket parking lot, and we are 300 miles from the sea (New York State.)

When in Norfolk, I go to Sheringham quite frequently as there is a very good bus service. I often take the coasthopper or the train to Weybourne, and walk back to Sheringham on the cliffs - superb walk. Or, simply walk on the beach from Sheringham to Cromer and have tea in Cromer. No shortage of tea shops in Cromer, there are at least half a dozen I haven't got to yet!

happy-go-lucky-lass Oct 6th 2018 3:24 am

Beautifully written, Jensmate. You brought a smile to my face and, apart from the bit about eating cockles, it makes me want to jump on a plane to come home now! :goodpost:

scot47 Oct 7th 2018 8:28 am

I am still not entirely in love with my native Scotland. I retired here after many years living in Bulgaria. Sometimes when I look back I regret that I returned to Caledonia and did not stay in my adopted - and welcoming - country of Bulgaria.